are ibanez guitars normally set up good from the factory?and... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

are ibanez guitars normally set up good from the factory?and...

hows the build quality in general?and do i got to get it set up as soon as i get it?thanks people
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 12:13 PM

Re: are ibanez guitars normally set up good from the factory?and...

Overall quality is pretty good. 95% of the factory set-ups will suck! You'll have to get it setup up, or do it yourself (unless you get it from Rich of course)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 12:37 PM

I find Ibanez to be above average on quality. The factory setups always tend to get knocked out of whack in shipping and frankly i always have setups done. Change guage or sometimes even brands of strings? Need a setup. Adjust the springs? need a setup. If you buy from a music store they should do the setup for ya. Just make sure you have them do it with your favorite brand and gauge of string and make sure they set the trem and truss to your playing styles.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 01:45 PM

Most guitars aren't really well setup from the factory, and Ibanez is no exception. It also doesn't help that they travel quite a ways to get to your dorr from the factory. Some retailers do some setup work in house, but most do not. If you buy from someone like Rich, who does setups on everything that goes through his shop, you'll get an instrument that's ready to play. If you buy from an online only type of place, you'll likely get a guitar that needs some setup work. It's difficult to say how much work any given instrument will need. Ibanez has fairly high initial quality, but if you are buying new I would suggest trying to get your new guitar from someplace that will inspect and setup the instrument before you get it. It's worth the trouble, especially if the guitar has a fret issue or something a standard action/intonation job will not address.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 02:07 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777
Most guitars aren't really well setup from the factory, and Ibanez is no exception. It also doesn't help that they travel quite a ways to get to your dorr from the factory. Some retailers do some setup work in house, but most do not. If you buy from someone like Rich, who does setups on everything that goes through his shop, you'll get an instrument that's ready to play. If you buy from an online only type of place, you'll likely get a guitar that needs some setup work. It's difficult to say how much work any given instrument will need. Ibanez has fairly high initial quality, but if you are buying new I would suggest trying to get your new guitar from someplace that will inspect and setup the instrument before you get it. It's worth the trouble, especially if the guitar has a fret issue or something a standard action/intonation job will not address.
i think we need a sticky with this paragraph ...glen
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite
i think we need a sticky with this paragraph ...glen
Then sticky it .

Regards

André

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

sticky would be excellant.i am getting it from a big music store so i will say i want it setup before i take it home.should be here any day
great advice people
thanks
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 09:13 PM

I've yet to find a single Ibanez guitar that's been setup properly straight from the factory. I just don't think that it's very possible or likely that the guitar will stay setup after traveling to the U.S. all the way from Japan or Korea or even Indonesia. But, I will say that the build quality of Ibanez guitars seems to be pretty good and all that most guitars need is a truss rod adjustment, bridge adjustment, and a quick check of the intonation if the string gauge or the tuning is changed. I totally agree that you should definitely buy a guitar from an actual guitar store that will do some sort of setup on the guitar as soon as you buy it. I love my local shop because they not only set up the guitar when you buy it but they do free adjustments to the guitar anytime.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 03:35 PM

I knew guitars from the factory were often not set up well but I never thought about it much. This explains why I never feel comfortable playing a brand new guitar in the shop but used guitars have a completely different feel. And while not fully true, it explains why often people complain about new guitars not being as good (quality often does go down over time but switching from your own guitar you have had for 5-10 years to a brand new not setup/worn in guitar also plays a role).

Sorry...forgot I was looking at old threads.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

no problemo

Tags
ibanez guitars , music store , rod adjustment , truss rod , truss rod adjustment

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode