Are Ibanez Guitars really the heavy and hard rock guitar?? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2004, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

Are Ibanez Guitars really the heavy and hard rock guitar??

I have come to love the Ibanez product, but growing up in the 80's, where does Ibanez come up with:

"Since they were created, the Ibanez RG series guitars have become the standard in hard and heavy rock guitars."

The standard in heavy rock guitars were definately Charvel/Jackson's unless I am forgetting something.

What do you guys think??

Sorry if this is in the wrong place mods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2004, 01:03 AM

Don't know where u got the quote, but I think they have a product to sell...

and I think they're basing their statement on current popular stars using the product, like Korn for instance.

Take it for what its worth, and play what feels best.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2004, 03:30 AM

I second Davester's point of view. No one company can legitimately claim that title. It's a slogan--nothing more, nothing less.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2004, 04:45 AM

Ibanez marketing slogans are generally bulls!it. I pulled out the 2001 catalogue to quote one remarkable slogan, but I couldn't decide which one to take
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2004, 09:57 AM

Forget the slogan… ibanez guitars are good for whatever you want it to be good at… my RGs have no problems with fusion…
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2004, 10:05 AM

I agree, In fact any guitar you have can be used for any style. Some guitars happen to be slightly better at it than others. But at the end of the day, whether your playing an Ibanez or a Gibson, they are both good for everything and different things. I dont think you can really clasify guitars into music types.

I suppose you could say Fender with Blues-ish.
I suppose you could say ESP and Ibanez with Metal or whatever.....

But you should be able to play everything on anything If you get what I mean. Its just some are better than others at certain things!
Gary - The.Godfather
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2004, 09:34 AM

true,for me they work fine. but meaby the vibe of a guitar is different from the other.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2004, 12:32 PM

I wouldnt call jackson/charvels the standard as they have pretty much always had an inferior trem design to ibanez guitars. Ibanez currently smokes them in sells too if im not mistaken, and are only surpassed by gibson, fender, and prs, but i dont know about back in the day it really depends on when you are talking about. Ibanez basically came into its own around 87 with the ibanez jem model, being a basic top of the line guitar
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2004, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

I guess I was thinking of hard and heavy rock as in 80's metal. I think it's fair to say that the majority of bands used Charvel's/Jackson's, including Steve Vai in the early 80's---and others throughout the 80's.

Also, the higher end and custom guitars from Jackson/Charvel used original Floyd Rose Trems, Not the JT stuff. Just as Ibanez' lower end uses the Lo TRS, Jackson uses alternate bridges on the lower end stuff.

I would agree that Jackson is not doing so hot these days, most people don't want the pointy headstock guitars anymore.

Ibanez' headstock is somewhere inbetween I think. When you look at it you don't think, "that's an 80's guitar"

Perhaps Ibanez is the current heavy rock guitar leader. I am after all stuck in the 80's. Music in the 90's was horrible for the guitar with a few exceptions---well, imho anyway.

Thanks, Rob
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2004, 02:23 PM

Guitar fads come and go like most fashions. I remember reading somewhere that at the end of the 70's Les Paul sales died. By the end of the 80's thanks to the likes of Slash they were right up there again. The Strat was written of by some as being a nasty pointy space age thing when it was released, but it seems to be doing OK The Jem (and RGs) appear to be some of the only pointy guitars to have started to be seen as classic examples of their time, so I suspect the Jem will continue for a long while. The Strat has become synonymous with blues, the Les Paul with rock, for lack of a better description, and the Ibanez line up with instrumental and more aggressive music.

Advertising slogans are usually blx, but I think there is some merit in what Ibanez claim.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2004, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algiman
Guitar fads come and go like most fashions. I remember reading somewhere that at the end of the 70's Les Paul sales died. By the end of the 80's thanks to the likes of Slash they were right up there again. The Strat was written of by some as being a nasty pointy space age thing when it was released, but it seems to be doing OK The Jem (and RGs) appear to be some of the only pointy guitars to have started to be seen as classic examples of their time, so I suspect the Jem will continue for a long while. The Strat has become synonymous with blues, the Les Paul with rock, for lack of a better description, and the Ibanez line up with instrumental and more aggressive music.

Advertising slogans are usually blx, but I think there is some merit in what Ibanez claim.
Actually the les paul grew out favor altogether around 1960 and was *DISCONTINUED* most people are simply unaware of this. It was then produced as the gibson sg les paul, which les paul had gibson remove his name from as the guitar wasnt up to his exacting standards. He said he hated the neck joint, and the body horns looked wrong to him.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2004, 12:30 AM

Also, coming into the 80's somewhat late(1987) could be part of this..

Who do I normally associate with the RG?

Rocky George

Paul Gilbert

The guys from Exodus

Death's Lead player on 'Individual Thought Patterns'(don't remember his name)

The guy in Anacrusis

Most of these were in the early 90's.

There weren't a lot of 'name' metal guys using the RG, but at the same time there weren't a lot of them using strat-shapes overall.. I can think of very few metal bands when someone mentions a Jackson Soloist, but I can think of a ton for a Rhoads V, or some BCRich funky shaped thing.

The RG-series has always been more of a "working-man's" Rock-Metal guitar. While there weren't a lot of endorcers playing metal/hardrock on them, the average local band seemed full of them..

The RG550 pretty much set the standard for a functional, well priced, shred/rock/metal guitar, IMO.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2004, 02:01 AM

Who cares? It's just marketing. Next year it'll be something like, "The RG series sounds amazing due to the power of ions, which actually sculpt your perfect tone while you play!!!" Meaningless.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2004, 05:24 AM

they are for me
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2004, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperfrommars1
Actually the les paul grew out favor altogether around 1960 and was *DISCONTINUED* most people are simply unaware of this. It was then produced as the gibson sg les paul, which les paul had gibson remove his name from as the guitar wasnt up to his exacting standards. He said he hated the neck joint, and the body horns looked wrong to him.
Didn't realise they had already had one bad patch before, like I said, guitar fashions come and go. I think the pointy guitar is beginning to rise in fashion again.

Tags
custom guitar , custom guitars , floyd rose , floyd rose trem , guitar playing , ibanez guitars , ibanez jem , jackson soloist , les paul , neck joint , paul gilbert , pointy headstock , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode