Ibanez, Ibanez, Ibanez - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Ibanez, Ibanez, Ibanez

Ibanez has most of us pretty snowed by now. I look back to the thread a couple days ago in regards to the JEM DNA being the guitar that started the overpriced market Ibanez limited editions. With the Jem 20th, the JS20th Silver Surfer and the JS Black Bog being outrageously overpriced. It's true that they are past the point of no return. The Jem 20th being plastic with neon lights in it (Ooohhh!, who cares). The JS20th Silver Surfer, a JS1000 with a silver surfer inserted into it. Now we have the Paul Gilbert Fireman @ $9,300+!!!! Are you kidding me!! There is absolutely nothing about that guitar that makes it worth anything over $2000 for God sakes! My problem is not with Ibanez making guitars that cost this much, my problem is with Ibanez not creating anything special to justify the cost. Which is where Ibanzes genius comes in, Ibanez and there lets cut corners mentallity (Which is why when you know you are going to sell a bunch of JEM7V WH guitars, why have the extra cost of the Ebony fretboard when we can switch to the cheaper rosewood, probably about a $20 difference in reality, you increase the price of the guitar a couple hundred bucks and able to cut back an addition 20 bucks, that money adds up for Ibanez) Because they know someone will buy them as long as there is a market for them, they will continue this trend. Anyone out there who thinks you are getting the best qualitywhen spending $5000 + knows absolutely nothing about guitars. Don't get me wrong, I love ibanez guitars. i have owned probably at least 20 of them over them past 15 years or so, but even then I would never claim them to be the best. I hated Ed Roman for so many years because he would bad mouth Ibanez and the other Japanese guitar makers. Now I am seeing his point more and more. Who in there right mind would spend 9,000 on the Ibanez Fireman when you could call him and get a Abstract Rockingbird model, a million times better qualtity, 100% HANDMADE!! (Not the handcrafted slogan that so many companies like to pass off as handmade). A guitar that will last decades longer than the Fireman and you can get it for less than half what the Fireman (I know the actual cost for buyers is less, I know that is the retail price), regardless it will still be less than half. I was able to play one at his shop in Vegas a couple years ago and the guitar nearly palyed itself. I for one am no longer going to be suckered into the Ibanez game. I currently sold my last 2 Ibanez guitars and will never buy one again. I still go back to 1998 when I walked into my local Ibanez dealer to get a quote from his Ibanez rep on the JS10th Chromeboy, the guitar would have cost me only $1,700. I still wasn't able to get one though. I guarantee you when Ibanez rereleases the Chromeboy or maybe reissues the graphic guitars (Which they will, mark my words, they know there is money to be made in them) they will top 15,000 watch! Thanks and have a great day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 06:01 PM
Vendor

Re: Ibanez, Ibanez, Ibanez

Was that a rant? Or are you just pissed at the way the world works?
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 06:04 PM

Reviews: 1

As long as there is a buying public there will be expensive guitars -

You unfairly pick on Ibanez when nearly all the major manufacturers employ this same business model, and then you compare them with a guy who has a terrible reputation in the guitar-selling world (Roman).
ANY high-end Ibanez guitar will be worth more than an Ed Roman guitar as time goes by.

You're welcome to your personal opinions here but please don't lump Red Ed into any equation with Ibanez.

~j
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smc1975 View Post
Who in there right mind would spend 9,000 on the Ibanez Fireman when you could call him and get a Abstract Rockingbird model, a million times better qualtity, 100% HANDMADE!! (Not the handcrafted slogan that so many companies like to pass off as handmade). A guitar that will last decades longer than the Fireman and you can get it for less than half what the Fireman (I know the actual cost for buyers is less, I know that is the retail price), regardless it will still be less than half. I was able to play one at his shop in Vegas a couple years ago and the guitar nearly palyed itself.

Played itself, eh? Good thing. If you played it he would have whined and cried you had to buy it because you touched it. :P Wonder if ER is still hurtin' from when Ernie Ball spanked him.

Look, no company is perfect and no company does things that all people like. I'd have loved a PGM Fireman but it didn't work out and I have a 401 coming. If you came to give ER a free plug, you won't find many who will be sympathetic to your Ibanez woes.

Last edited by Jack Secret; 01-19-2009 at 06:21 PM.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 06:23 PM

Im not gonna defend ibanez because every company is guilty of trying to make money. For God sakes look at Gibson.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 07:40 PM
Banned

Well, it's pretty hard to provide jobs, contribute to the global economy and satisfy customers if you aren't in business. And it's pretty hard to stay in business if you aren't making a profit. Remember this. We NEED rich people. They hire, invest, spend, and in many ways benefit the economy. You'll never get hired by someone who can only afford a cheap guitar. Be glad for big profit companies.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by callen3615 View Post
Im not gonna defend ibanez because every company is guilty of trying to make money. For God sakes look at Gibson.
yeah gibson does it all the time

so does fender, but not so much i think

reminds me of 'ibanez is becoming like fender'
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin View Post
Well, it's pretty hard to provide jobs, contribute to the global economy and satisfy customers if you aren't in business. And it's pretty hard to stay in business if you aren't making a profit. Remember this. We NEED rich people. They hire, invest, spend, and in many ways benefit the economy. You'll never get hired by someone who can only afford a cheap guitar. Be glad for big profit companies.
yup! and if the company makes good enough products they'll eventually BECOME or start selling to big profit companies to.... wait for it.... make more money! tah dah!

because that's what business is... making money. like Darin said you can't stay in business if you aren't making money (look at how the US economy is running right now for example!).

Those expensive guitars aren't meant to "play themselves" or almost really be played at all. They are for collecting, and while you may think collecting guitars is stupid you should really look at crap some other people collect. Some people collect bottle caps, poop, things that look like jesus, tea pots, jars, and stuffed animals. Believe me some of this stuff is actually worth a pretty penny (yes it's totally lame too) but it's how economics works.

Supply and demand sets the market price of items not necessarily the products quality.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 08:33 PM

Reviews: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by smc1975 View Post
Because they know someone will buy them as long as there is a market for them, they will continue this trend.
You answered (???) your own question.

I could never figure out the market for high-end watches either, but hey...that's me. Some people really dig expensive watches! I'm not going to begrudge someone for wanting a $2,000 Tag Heuer. I tried to look at Patek Philipe's web page but I got a strange browser error: "909 - You are too poor to view this page! Please refresh your bank account and try again!" How does it know?!?

And I've been playing Ibanez guitars since 1991, and they DO make quality instruments!

Cheers!
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 09:02 PM

I don't mind expensive guitars. I'm just disappointed because I'm not richer so I could get me a Fireman and give you my review of it.
But I don't mind cheaper guitar as long as I feel good playing it.
I wouldn't mind dating Keira Knightley.
But come on..
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teokiatuan View Post
yeah gibson does it all the time

so does fender, but not so much i think

reminds me of 'ibanez is becoming like fender'
Funny because last year I've bought an ES339 I still love brand new for 1000€. One year later, Gibson realized the guitar sold too good because it was street priced at $1300-$1799, which must be one of their first human ground price* since a long time ago. (you know times where rock'n'roll was evil ) (* for an all Gibson feature guitar: Glossy Nitro, actual burst, fret edge binding craftsmanship quality etc..)
Anyway all the sudden, they put it off the stores because it wasn't expensive enough! Now you can have a 'curly'/flame top ES339 for $3249 only.
This makes it a lot less desirable I think. And all the sudden, I don't care about the new 339 at all anymore.
I don't feel frustrated, I won't write a complain letter to Gibson.
I just don't feel concerned that much.
But hey, that's me.

Man, I love cheap guitars.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 12:27 AM

You lost me at "Ed Roman"....
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 12:40 AM

waaaaaaaaaah a company is selling expensive stuff that I can't afford waaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

How dare Gibson, Fender and Ibanez make as much money as possible. They should price everything below $1000 so people dont cry about it.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
waaaaaaaaaah a company is selling expensive stuff that I can't afford waaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

How dare Gibson, Fender and Ibanez make as much money as possible. They should price everything below $1000 so people dont cry about it.
hahahaha
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 01:15 AM

Reviews: 2

I still don't see why everybody whines about Ebony verus Rosewood. Ebony is NOT a better wood than rosewood. It is merely a different wood. If you like the sound and feel it creates good for you (I do perfer Ebony personally) but that does not make it better.

For example:
I hate Maple fretboards. I don't like the looks, the feel or the sound(although with amps and pickups that is actually the least of the problems). But everybody around these parts has been begging for them forever.

Remember by defintion if it is your OPINION it is not a fact and therefore not true.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode