Ibanez J Custom Fretboard Cleaning Accident - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Ibanez J Custom Fretboard Cleaning Accident

So I was cleaning my fretboard using grogamyte, and I use paper towel and the color of that towel is white (should have used a white cleaning towel doh!), so when cleaning I may have been cleaning with the paper towel a little to hard, my fretboard is dark rosewood and now I see specs of white on the fretboard, I am not sure if it is the paper towel that got embedded into the fretboard or if it is the fretboard drying out most likely the latter.

Anyone know the solution to fix this, I have heard people say just take a needle and scrape it out but I don't want to damage my fretboard further.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 01:40 PM

Re: Ibanez J Custom Fretboard Cleaning Accident

Could well be the paper towel that caused the white specs. You could try 0000 grit steel wool on it.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

I assume I would have to mask the inlays when doing this ?
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 02:12 PM

Paper towels aren't the cleverest of devices to be used for cleaning fretboards with. You're better using a lint-free cloth and light steel wool.

Don't worry, use the above and it will clean the little bits of paper out.

'87
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

How do I tell if my finger board is finished ? I heard steel wool 0000 grit will scratch it up bad.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeChung View Post
How do I tell if my finger board is finished ? I heard steel wool 0000 grit will scratch it up bad.
J Custom fretboards are typically not finished. I'm no expert, but in general guitar fretboards are left unfinished.

Steel wool of that gauge is very fine and shouldn't leave any marks on the wood. Your worst case scenario with that gauge of wool is tiny particles of steel which may make their way into places you don't want them. Mask off the board with masking tape and newspaper and take special care to cover the pickups (the magnets will attract stray pieces) and you should be fine.

Peace
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 03:20 PM

If its maple its finished, rosewood or ebony it ain't.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Ummm Do you guys know of any products that will get this done besides steel wool 0000 ? I am a chicken when it comes to guitar maintenance
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 03:30 PM

If it is paper towel bits, you might consider using a swiffer cloth or whatever the UK equivalent is. They are incredibly effective for attracting and collecting fuzzy things like paper dust, lint etc.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

haha I think those are way to weak to work on this.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 04:22 PM

Old toothbrush, lightly coated in the fretboard oil of your choice.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 05:48 PM

Reviews: 2

the steel wool will NOT damage your inlays and do a fabulous job of cleaning everything up.

That said, #0000 steel wool does not have to be the first step. I would first use standard masking tape and pull out all the debris possible. it probably won't get all of it, but will give you a good start. Next, Algiman suggested using a toothbrush to release the stuck bits.....This is an excellent suggestion, however I wouldn't start with fretboard oil. I would start with a good detergent/degreaser...... my favorite is "Simple Green". after this step, repeat the process using a good fretboard oil. Pure tung oil is my favorite for an expensive instrument like yours. When the fretboard is dry polish it off with a good LINT-FREE (lol) cloth....old t-shirts work best for this.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 07:15 PM

The more grease and dirt on a fretboard the better.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 07:48 PM

The best thing to use to clean a fretboard is Zippo lighter fuel or chemicaly clean gasoline (petrol). The later smells a bit less than the first (I prefer the later).

It will clean the fretboard really fast and then all evaporate from the fretboard.
Cleaning it fast will prevent you from rubbing dirt down in the fretboard like you have to do if you use, fro example, lemon oil. The benefit of it evaporate is obvious, I think.

If it is a finished neck, then your done.
If it is unfinished then oil it with a few drops or oil (I think the best to use are a 50/50 mix of turpentine balsam and boiled linseed oil).

Good luck with it.

/Magnus
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 02:53 PM

Only use the steel wool if you really have some dirt that is stuck on there. Otherwise there really is no reason to use it. I use a microfiber cloth 95% of the time.

Tags
cleaning/oiling fretboard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode