ibanez j custom question - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

ibanez j custom question

since when have they been in production. they look just like RG's what's the point of having a different line like the j custom? i understand they are made in the USA but japan made RG's are really good already.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 11:00 AM

Re: ibanez j custom question

The main differences as far as I can tell as an owner of two J customs (RG and S series) are as follows:

- Better finishing and fretwork (rounded on the edges rather than flat). Really nice bindings, beautiful fretwork; generally none of the rough edges you might find on standard models. And, of course, the J-Custom vine inlay!
- The limited and/or unusual finishes on the body.
- Most importantly to me, the velvetouch finishing on the neck. It makes the neck unbelievably smooth, considerably more silky than any Jem or other prestige model.
- More varied pickups/custom pickups as stock. They do some custom-covered BKPs on some J-Customs which are not part of BKPs' normal production line, which is cool.

Btw they aren't made in the USA they're made in Japan by Ibanez's most elite luthiers, apparently.

Last edited by Craig_Shaft; 05-09-2015 at 11:08 AM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 08:53 PM

And the answer to the question would be 1997 when they started the line with some basic models and some very exquisite and rare models (RG-ART1, RG-Metal1, Urushi, GOLD).
The USA customs came somewhat before that, if I remember correctly. They have a "u.s.a. custom" logo on the headstock instead of the "j. custom".
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 04:59 AM

Yeah I didn't know the year :P But here's a video of someone playing a slightly out of tune USA custom:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oucK6cEVG6c
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 02:09 PM

For questions about the USA customs have a view on the excellent Master-Thread:

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f16/us...ad-130784.html

The youtube-vid is really nice but there are a lots of effects in the sound, and in the background it seems to be a Axe fx, so it could be difficoult to find out the sound of a USA custom in this file (about this we had a nice discussion in a german forum).

The usa customs were offered between 1989 an 1995 in different lines:
-American Master (Gresco)
-UCGR (Usa custom graphic)
-UCMD (" " Metal Design)
-UCEW (" " Exotic Wood)
-UCMA (American Master (Wildwood)
-USRG (Dave Bunker)
-Endorser Guitars (this line still exists)

The J.Custom were offered later. Both lines (usa custom and J.custom) are excellent professional guitars!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 12:53 PM

Fit and finish on the "current" J Customs tends to be comparable but more consistent to what you're seeing on Japanese Ibanez guitars; a really good production Japanese guitar should hold its own with a J Custom, but they seem to be "good" specimens more often, based on my limited sample I've played.

The early ones, the CT, CST (former RG7CST owner here), ART, PAINT, etc... kind of a different story there where fit and finish was still great, but they were super small runs and usually with very unusual features or finishes. Even the plainer ones, like the CT, were back in 97 or whenever kind of an anomaly - a flame maple topped mahogany guitar with a rosewood headstock veneer, from a company almost exclusively known for its solid finish basswood guitars.

Today, you lose some of the over-the-top aspect of the finishes (if you've never seen an ART or EGYPT, do some googling), but you also tend to see more unusual materials for Ibanez - a lot of mahogany with flamed or quilted tops, etc. They're produced in greater numbers than they were, so they're probably less "collectible" (which I'm 100% fine with), but if you find one whose specs work for you, they're great classy-looking workhorses.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
Fit and finish on the "current" J Customs tends to be comparable but more consistent to what you're seeing on Japanese Ibanez guitars; a really good production Japanese guitar should hold its own with a J Custom, but they seem to be "good" specimens more often, based on my limited sample I've played.

The early ones, the CT, CST (former RG7CST owner here), ART, PAINT, etc... kind of a different story there where fit and finish was still great, but they were super small runs and usually with very unusual features or finishes. Even the plainer ones, like the CT, were back in 97 or whenever kind of an anomaly - a flame maple topped mahogany guitar with a rosewood headstock veneer, from a company almost exclusively known for its solid finish basswood guitars.

Today, you lose some of the over-the-top aspect of the finishes (if you've never seen an ART or EGYPT, do some googling), but you also tend to see more unusual materials for Ibanez - a lot of mahogany with flamed or quilted tops, etc. They're produced in greater numbers than they were, so they're probably less "collectible" (which I'm 100% fine with), but if you find one whose specs work for you, they're great classy-looking workhorses.
I am in agreement. I've had 4 J Customs since 2008 and they were superb guitars. Fast forward to this year, I picked up an RG3727Z and it is absolutely stunning in every way. The only thing it is missing is the vine and the ball ended frets and at that the fretwork on this new guitar is fantastic. I no longer have any of the J Customs but I a certainly not missing them. The neck on my 3727 has a beautiful flame to it as well which was a lucky bonus to have!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 01:36 PM

Why manufacturers have different line ups for the same model? It same goes to Fender with their Custom Shops and PRS with Private Stocks.

They're using exotic tonewoods, high grades material and high level of craftsmanship has been put into it.

Potential customers shall be for collectors and super lush players who don't mind these guitars being beaten down. For me I myself own a JCustom and sometimes found it to perfect to be played due to its cosmetic nature of the guitar.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode