Ibanez J-Custom RG 8620s - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2007, 06:05 AM Thread Starter

Ibanez J-Custom RG 8620s

Hello everybody....

Does anybody here have a RG 8620? the one with the great spalted maple top and H-H pickup combo?

I feel so sorry not to have bought this one when it was available!!

I like the H-H combo better than the H-S-H... I have never tried the Ibanez 5 way swith with H-H pickups... How versatile is it??

If anybody have pictures, feel free!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2007, 10:13 AM

Re: Ibanez J-Custom RG 8620s

I do...
http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showth...252#post626252
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2007, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

You're lucky man!!

I still hope to find a new one somewhere....
Then I would put an EVO bridge and FRED neck pickup... mmmmm

That would be great!! I'm dreaming.....
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2007, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

How does it sound??? I mean the 2, 3 and 4 opsition of the switch mainly...??
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2007, 12:20 PM
GAZ

It's the same switching as the H H Prestiges, pos 2 is the inner coils, 3 is both humbuckers and 4 is the neck humbucker in parallel.The clean/single coil sounds on H S H are better to be honest, but pos 4 is quite useful on the H H guitars.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2007, 01:08 PM

Quite frankly, it sounds the same as any other comparable J-Custom, like the 8470s, for instance, I'm sure. They all have same body wood, neck construction, pickups. The spalted maple veneer hardly affects the tone. It is basically the aestetic of it that appealed to me so much.

I think GAZ gave a brief but very good description of the pups' sound at the different switch positions. I do agree 100% with it. Position 2, due to the TZ, sounds actually loud and even distorted if your pre-amp setup is not correctly tweaked. May be my preference to have the pup raised and close to the strings plays a factor here.

Still, one thing I've said on a couple other threads out there is that I'm not a huge fan of the TZ; to me, its hyped mids and lows just define too much your tone into that specific EQ profile. I rather prefer more 'neutral' pups with other good harmonic qualities to them, and then have the room to play and shape your sound at the pre-amp level. But I'm leaving the 8620s with its factory setup, it'd be my only TZ-equiped guitar. For the rest, I use something else. Good to have some variety at hand though.

Gus.

Last edited by Gusfmm; 05-24-2007 at 01:14 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2007, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper777 View Post
You're lucky man!!
Oh, and I forgot, yes, I think I was very lucky on this one, I did want it really bad.

Good luck to you.

Tags
evo bridge , inner coils , neck humbucker , neck pickup , pickup combo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode