Ibanez JBM100 Review (Late NGD) - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

Cool Ibanez JBM100 Review (Late NGD)

Hello Jemsiters, here's my review on the beautiful Ibanez JBM100. I guess that somebody interested in this model can get a pretty good idea on how cool it is.

Body shape is the RGA Shape, which I find very very comfortable and classier (if you will) than the standard flat RG Shape that we all love. The body is Mahogany with topped with a quite thick Maple Top, and the solution adopted for the binding is pretty damn classy, nice touch for sure. The Maple binding idea interests the neck too, and creates a cool contrast with the satin finish. Neck wood is Maple with a Bubinga stripe in the middle; it has a volute at the opposite side of the Locking Nut, like on most J-Customs.

HARDWARE
Being a Top-of-the-Line Ibanez, it can proudly sport a Lo-Pro Edge bridge and Top Lock.
Great added/bonus feature are the Sperzel Locking Tuners in place of the known Gotoh tuners; I honestly think that every guitar with a Double Locking System should be equipped with Locking Tuners too: that really helps tuning stability (and if you are a lazyass like myself, you donít have to worry about too much/much less turns on the posts with the strings)

PICKUPS & ELECTRONICS
I just love the way this DiMarzio Titans sound. I always (well, 90% of the time) found bridge pickups to be too much high-endy for my taste, but the Tiatan Bridge just sounds awesome.
Plenty of bite for single note stuff and plenty of clarity for big chords ( F#7(Add4), any Rush fans there?), without the annoying high-end frequencies I was referring about. They nailed it.
Great great neck pickup, super sweet and round without being muddy; position 2 & 4 really add versatility to the whole instrument. On Position 2 the Inner coils of the two pickups are active, while Posistion 4 has the Titan Neck wired in parallel. Position 3 is the standard LP configuration.

FINAL THOUGHTS
Well, Iím pretty in love with itÖ.I guess you understood that. The only thing I think thatís missing are Stainless Steel Frets. Donít get me wrong, the Jumbo frets on it are perfect, but I just like my frets to be SS.
So, in the end, It doesnít really matter if you are a fan of Periphery or not, this guitar is a really fine instrument, and it really represents Ibanez high standards.
P.S.: It would be foolish of me to leave you with just a written Review, so here it is my take on Dream Theaterís Forsaken.
(You can find all the information regarding the Signal Chain in the description of the video)

https://youtu.be/887ZUStu7aw

Thanks to everybody!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 03:56 PM
Banned

Re: Ibanez JBM100 Review (Late NGD)

Great axe, happy NGD, great playing, all the best for you two!!!
BTW, why I see fewer and fewer guitars with no tone control???? argghhhh no occasional blues/jazz shredders ?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by panix View Post
BTW, why I see fewer and fewer guitars with no tone control???? argghhhh no occasional blues/jazz shredders ?
Thanks dude!
You know, the feature (I should say lacking ) of the tone knob, was something that I was actually looking for, in a guitar.
I have nothing against the tone control, but the idea of just the volume knob really appealed to me (like old PGM models).
Yeah, in today's guitar market, more and more people (at least in the Hard & Heavy camp) are looking for a more brightysuperdirect sound, from the pickup(s) straight to the output, particularly if you're using Drop or Lower tunings (Periphery is the perfect example).
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Not even just blues/jazz guitarists, watch this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XU0YeQ0ADA
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 04:48 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Great little review and clip there, TheTrooper.

With regards to the tone control vs no tone control debate.

It's a case of signature guitar designed by world famous guitar player with awesome rig for his specific requirements vs random Scottish bloke talking about pub-rock set ups.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 05:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
Thanks!

Quote:

It's a case of signature guitar designed by world famous guitar player with awesome rig for his specific requirements vs random Scottish bloke talking about pub-rock set ups.
Yep, totally right there.
The "No tone knob feature" was picked by Jake because of personal preferences (Misha and Mark have the tone knob on their guitars).
The JBM is not really a jazz guitar, but with the right EQ adjustements you can definetly get a jazzier tone; clean sounds are really really good.

BTW there are other guitars that have both tone knob and a switch that bypasses all the circuit and sends the bridge PU straight to the output, like some Suhrs (the old GG model was one).
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 09:10 AM

Quote:

Well, I still prefer tone knobs, I like having control over how my guitar sounds. Without a tone knob, it just limits you in a lot of ways.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
Well, I still prefer tone knobs, I like having control over how my guitar sounds. Without a tone knob, it just limits you in a lot of ways.
And I'm sure that when Ibanez comes knocking on your door to offer you a signature model following one of your world tours, you can have that conversation with them then

Mr Bowen has decided that he doesn't need one, probably because his presets are all carefully worked out with the amount of treble, mid and bass he needs. If you're playing through a few pedals into a practice combo, that might be a bit different...

Last edited by jono; 11-20-2015 at 02:30 AM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

Well, yeah, it limits you if you are using only a mono-channel amp, no pedals and stuff, but if you're using something like the Axe Fx as Periphery do you don't really have that kind on problems
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:
In this day and age of multi channel amps people are more used of changing their sound at the press of a footswitch than using the controls of their guitars.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 11:47 AM

But anyway really nice guitar and great cover The Trooper, i think the JBM looks really classy but it would be better IMO as a 7 string.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafafas View Post
But anyway really nice guitar and great cover The Trooper, i think the JBM looks really classy but it would be better IMO as a 7 string.

Thanks dude! Yeah, a 7 string model would be pretty damn cool

Tags
ibanez jbm100 , jake bowen , jbm , periphery

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode