Ibanez JCRG11R series dealbreaker and thoughts - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Ibanez JCRG11R series dealbreaker and thoughts

Hello guys, I don't know if many of you are aware of these beauties, I guess you already are but anyway have a look at this http://www.ibanez.co.jp/japan/jcustom/2011/JCRG11R-NTE.html all of these guitars have close to perfect specs like the best possible exotic wood available, bolt on, fast thin neck, incredible colours and finish for body and hardware, even Original Edge floating trem which was what excites me the most but... when we look at its radius it's a mere 250mmR against your regular fast 430mmR radius, that was the dealbreaker for me and I guess for all of you as well (ok pricetag sucks too ). What I'm pointing here is that Ibanez is always close to have your dreams guitar but when you look at full specs you are gonna find at least one thing that screws it up (like my Prestige RG4570z that I love BUT I hate the Edge Zero that comes with it) and like many of you have already said Ibanez could perfectly have installed on their J. Custom series Original Edges or Lo-pro but hell no! they put on them the Edge Zero as well and even knowing that sorting them with edge or lo-pro everybody would be dying to get one, because that's the dealbreaker for many that want the perfect guitars they were making on the late 80´s , this chinese Edge Zero trem they are using now. Is that hard for them to mount their first (and best) trems on their high-end guitars? Is that hard for them to pay for floyd license that they prefer using their average Edge Zero? I really can't understand their logic, and honestly I was so excited to know about this new JCRG11R cause it has the Original Edge trem but now Ibanez did it AGAIN and screws up giving it 250mmR ... Why??? It was perfect until i look at that spec . Anyway you can see the guitar I'm talking about on the following pic too. Hope any of you can come to a conclusion and share thoughts about what I wrote, Ibanez screwing up their almost high-end perfect guitars. Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Re: Ibanez JCRG11R series dealbreaker and thoughts

Same radius as a JS? I'm in.

It's not screwed up, it's simply to to your specific taste.

If you can't adapt to that subtle a difference, then more practice on different guitars and less posting on the internet is probably in order!!!
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
Same radius as a JS? I'm in.

If you can't adapt to that subtle a difference, then more practice on different guitars and less posting on the internet is probably in order!!!
I can perfectly adapt to that difference. My point was that all prestiges and J.custom are at 430mmR for shredding matters I'd say, but hell when they make one with Edge bridge that everybody's asking for, they decide to use the not so shredding friendly JS series radius. I'ts not just me, many fellows guitarist I've talked about this feel the same and in other forums ppl agree as well, but actually I was talking about inconsistency on Ibanez decisions and about NOT using their best trems on their current high-end guitars... Perhaps you didn't read (understand) my full post huh?. Cheers!
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 11:43 AM
Vendor

I guess the news here is, Satch can't shred?

My guess is the specs are wrong. I look at that fret radius and I see 430.....
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I guess the news here is, Satch can't shred?

My guess is the specs are wrong. I look at that fret radius and I see 430.....
Oh Wow I didn't say such a thing! You can easily shred on any JS series guitar but its unanimous that 430mmR is more friendly for shredding than 250mmR, thats for sure and that explains Ibanez choose for thin necks and fast radius (430mmR) on their Prestige/J.Custom. Now to the topic, JCRG11R are at 250mmR indeed as shown in here http://www.ibanez.co.jp/japan/jcusto...RG11R-NTE.html
And yes it looks like a 430mmR but since its featured as 250mmR you gotta believe Ibanez specs unless proven wrong. Cheers!
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 12:04 PM
Vendor

Yah, Ibanez has never had lots of spec mistakes on their model pages!!

Still betting on 430.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by satchtabber View Post
I can perfectly adapt to that difference. My point was that all prestiges and J.custom are at 430mmR for shredding matters I'd say, but hell when they make one with Edge bridge that everybody's asking for, they decide to use the not so shredding friendly JS series radius. I'ts not just me, many fellows guitarist I've talked about this feel the same and in other forums ppl agree as well, but actually I was talking about inconsistency on Ibanez decisions and about NOT using their best trems on their current high-end guitars... Perhaps you didn't read (understand) my full post huh?. Cheers!
I read your post and I'm fairly confident to say I understood the letter of your post, if not the intent of your post. Having moderated the site for 10 years, I've seen plenty of threads like yours where the OP sees a guitar they quite like on the internet and finds a reason not to buy it, then makes a thread about how it's "not right" and it's "not just them that feels that way".

Yes, I'd love to see the Edge trem on every guitar Ibanez makes, you would too. That's what they've done here. Great.

You don't like the fretboard radius. Sorry, but there are 1000s of guitarists out there (like me and Mr Satriani) who do. This guitar is for us, not for you, unless you decide to admit that if Satch can handle a 250mm radius, you should make the effort to as well, especially if the rest of the guitar is exactly what you're after

Don't think of it as Ibanez being inconsistent, think of it as them offering variety. If this J-custom isn't for you, maybe the next one will be.

HOWEVER...

If Rich is right and it is a larger radius then the spec sheet says, then take it as a lesson of "don't beleive everything you read on the internet". Hop on a plane to Tokyo and go investigate for yourself Meanwhile I'm gonna start a thread about "why don't they offer RGs with vintage radius fretboards..."
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 12:12 PM

One thing I'd like to see is a compound radius board on an Ibanez, with a 250mm nut transitioning to 430 at the bridge. Charvel does some stuff like this that looks pretty interesting.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 12:13 PM
Vendor

Keep looking, there were several store specials with Edge in the last few years. I would have done that for my model, but they wouldn't give me ebony and quilt. I rib them every time I see them that, what did they make standard for the US this year? QUILT AND EBONY!! :angry:
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 05:03 PM

But no Edge...

By the way, why can I not find the J.Customs on the Ibanez website or in the printed catalog? The one you showed me that one time had them, but I'm assuming that was a dealer catalog?
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 05:09 PM
Vendor

Edge wasn't a problem, but I wanted all 3.
Everything is on the .jp website but you were looking at my NAMM catalog.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 05:53 PM

I looked on their site and I don't see any of the ones you sell, especially the quilt/ebony one or the 8 string.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 06:03 PM
Vendor

Maybe not available as general issue in Japan but as store specials only.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 06:27 PM

Reviews: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
Exactly! Personally I wouldn't shell out all that money for a J Custom unless it had an Edge Zero because the EZ is my personal favorite trem...but I don't say they screwed up that model because they put an OE on it instead of an EZ. In a perfect world we would be able to order from an Ibanez custom shop to our own personal specs and preferences...but it is what it is...
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Maybe not available as general issue in Japan but as store specials only.
Makes sense. The Japanese site is still using the old 8570Z nomenclature.

So were the JCRG613 with the ebony and the JCRG813 the only models for 2013? On all the typical websites, there is still a lot of 2011 and 2012 stuff out there. I'm assuming that might be why the only 6 for 2013 would be the really limited ebony model and there are no 7's shown?

The US Ibanez site doesn't list JC's at all. The rest of the world sites show only the 613 (they're calling it the 20136) but no 813.

Tags
edge , ibanez , jcustom , jem , prestige

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode