Ibanez JP vs. EBMM JP - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-19-2004, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

Ibanez JP vs. EBMM JP

WHICH ONE PEOPLE?!?!?!?!?!

Looks?

Tone?

Playability?

Which is a better bang for your buck?

Have fun with it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-19-2004, 11:20 PM

ive always loved the Ibanez JPM, and now that i own one, i love it even more... i just love that neck, the Lo Pro is as good as it gets, and the neck binding is pretty... the 3 way is great, and the mid position is really nice for stratty sounds... inlays could have been much better, but oh well... guess we cant have it all, right?

now i never touched an EBMM JPM, but from a guy i sold my old RG to, apparently its not as comfortable (that armrest seems to be for John's arm, and his alone ), neck seems thicker and the trem pales next to an Edge... all that said, he does love the pickups, and totally loves the piezo...
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-20-2004, 05:41 AM

I consider them to be different beasts all together. Like some have said on here before, until you regularly play or own an EBMM JPM, you cant comment. I play this one in my local store on a regular basis. Luckily my mate works there and he lets me play it all I like. The trem is suprisingly awesome for what it looks like. I love it to bits, but it is different.

As you said, the neck is slightly thicker, but I prefer it anyway. I found it to be very smooth with no lacquer or anything like that on it. I also much prefer the body shape, and it feels sooo much better, it just feels comfortable. But this may be different for someone else.

It all comes down to personal preference. The best thing to do is to play both and work it out yourself. The EBMM JPM may also be easier to get hold of.

A few other guys on here that have owned/own an EBMM JPM will comment on it. Do a forum search also.

Gary - The.Godfather
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-20-2004, 04:25 PM

I have owned both and I prefer the Ibanez; the neck on the EBMM JPM is too thin (it is a substantial difference). Also. although the elbow curve idea is good in theory I found it to be a little bit too personal of a feature (it kind of encourages you to change your picking position/technique to accomodate the elbow curve). To me the Ibanez JPM is the perfect guitar, feature-wise; I just wish that Ibanez would release a model that had the exact same specs and features but without the picasso graphic.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-20-2004, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soloist
I just wish that Ibanez would release a model that had the exact same specs and features but without the picasso graphic.
I agree. You could use an RG2620 to start with as it has the same body shape and pickup switching (including the Les Paul-style switch), except it's mahogany and maple.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 12:17 AM

I actually was thinking about doing that with an RG620QM; after much debate I decided not to because it was going to cost a lot to get one to the US and I still really wanted the knobs out of the way. Unfortunately the only guitars that ever had that were the RG4020QM, I think the first year RG-1822 (the one without the neck binding) and one or two other models I cannot think of at the moment. At the moment I am considering having a custom UCEW style JPM body made but I am not sure who to have make it; this may sound crazy but just about the only thing that stops me from doing it is that I am a little worried that it might come out feeling too un-ibanez like the PBC made USRG's.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 12:40 AM

Why not have EKG do the body and either buy a used RG to get the neck (and hardware for that matter) or have EKG or LGM build one up from scratch? They do fantastic work and I don't think it would be un-Ibanez like, especially if you used a RG neck, LGM could redo the fret board for you as well. It'd be a little pricey to go full custom, but you'd get exactly what you wanted...pretty much it's the only way to go when nothing else gets you there.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 03:10 PM
RCB

To me, looks and feel are 80% of a guitar. Th JPM looks amazing, and the EB sucks. The RG bodie shape is the best superstrat shape ever concieved. The Picasso pattern is very cool, and fits the shape very well.

The EB may have some better features, but it is as ugly as any other EB. They really are in desperate need for a designer.

The Lo Pro Edge, is a vastly superior tremolo.

Craftmanship, wood selection and overall attencion to details i is probably better on the EB. But the JPM, as a Jem, a UV a JS or any other high end prestige or signature series, is a very good and efective guitar...... and its nice to look at!
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 04:27 PM

Soloist,

I'll PM you as well. But if you ARE looking for a custom made body, I can point you in the right direction.

Email me at [email protected]
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-22-2004, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresh
Why not have EKG do the body and either buy a used RG to get the neck (and hardware for that matter) or have EKG or LGM build one up from scratch? They do fantastic work and I don't think it would be un-Ibanez like, especially if you used a RG neck, LGM could redo the fret board for you as well. It'd be a little pricey to go full custom, but you'd get exactly what you wanted...pretty much it's the only way to go when nothing else gets you there.
The JPM's neck is not a Wizard... id say hes better off having Eddie (or whoever) build a JPM neck right to specs... and do the binding, the awesome awesome binding
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-27-2004, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marianozz
The JPM's neck is not a Wizard... id say hes better off having Eddie (or whoever) build a JPM neck right to specs... and do the binding, the awesome awesome binding
Right...I was thinking of the pickup wiring and the layout more than the neck. Agreed, the neck is what all the fuss is about with the Ibanez JPM, I've played a EBMM version and didn't like it as well just on feel alone...but I'm a long time Ibanez lover so I'd need a lot of time with the EBMM to make it a more fair comparison.

Of all my guitars, the JPM feels more like home to me, next would be the neck on the Art which has the meat of the JPM and the width of the wizard but it's just slightly less round in the back if that makes sense...but the maple, oh the maple.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-27-2004, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCB
The Lo Pro Edge, is a vastly superior tremolo.
You can't compare the two trem units. Both are made to do different things and are two completely different animals.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-28-2004, 11:20 AM
RCB

Quote:
You can't compare the two trem units. Both are made to do different things and are two completely different animals.
You are wrong. The Lo Pro can do everything the EBM bridge can, and it also can habdle heavy abuse, such as dives and pull ups.

The only tremolo that can perform similar to a Floyd Rose derivative (ie Lo Pro, Edge, Edge Pro) is the ZR (wich is also Ibanez). This is a fact, not an opinion.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-14-2004, 03:23 AM

Anyone else have more wisdom to share about this?
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-14-2004, 03:31 AM
Vendor

I like the Ibanez neck profile better even though the oil finish on the EB is nice. Bottom line, not enough fret for me on the EBMM. I'm no fan of the jumbos on the Ibz since I prefer a small fret, but they're just too small.

Tags
body shape , ebmm jpm , floyd rose , fret board , ibanez jpm , ibanez neck , jpm neck , les paul , neck binding , pickup switch , pickup switching , pickup wiring , pro edge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode