Ibanez Les Paul - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 06:34 AM Thread Starter

Ibanez Les Paul

Hi guys,

Is an Ibanez Les Paul (from the 70s) worth up to 400 EUR if in good condition? It is meant to be played rather than kept as some kind of memento.
If not, what is the most you would pay for a good condition Ibanez Les Paul?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 12:06 PM

what year is it, causeI know If its Pre- Lawsuite it could be worth ALOT of money. Well over $1000US.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 03:22 PM

I don't think there are any Ibanez Les Pauls worth well over $1000 US (with the exception of the Custom Agents) and the reason is simple: while nice guitars, they aren't as nice as a real Les Paul. I side by sided them back in the late 70's when I played LP Customs, and the Gibsons were nicer by a lot. That's not true of the jazz boxes though, where the Ibanezes are usually as good or better than the Gibsons (my main guitar now is a '78 Ibanez 175 copy). The Les Pauls are another story though.

If the Ibanez is a Les Paul Custom copy, in great original shape and with a set neck, it should be worth at least 400 EUR with a hard case. The original pickups were great, so you don't need to change them either. If the guitar has a bolt on neck, you can likely do better value wise with a new Tokai LoveRock for the same money, and the Tokai would have a better feeling heel joint, also. Another completely different thing to consider is a late 70's Artist if you can find one. They are for the most part as nice or nicer than period Les Pauls, and what I eventually switched to in 1980.

jim
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

OK thanks guys.

IBZRSII, I was writing in general and not targeting anything specific. A relative of mine is a big fan of Black Label Society and Zakk Wylde (and Ozzy, etc) and is currently starting guitar lessons. I am essentially looking to get him "something" electric that will not bust my wallet but will be at least not shameful to have. I can't afford a "real" Zakk Wylde guitar, so was thinking of a "next best thing" Les Paul. Since I am an Ibanez user, the Les Paul copy came to mind.

So, now that you've brought up other brands, what is the best price/performance Les Paul brand-wise you can think of? That evil auction site shows things like "Vintage" and "Richmond" and "Stagg". There's a brandless bolt-on there from GB that is currently bid-less. I am thinking that if I get that one I can have it fixed up professionally.

I understand that this is not a "real" jemsite question, but any advice you can give would be appreciated.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-03-2004, 10:53 PM

Hi,

With Les Paul's you need to be careful you get one with a set neck not a bolt on.

The "lawsuit" 70's Ibanez came in both forms, the bolt on models had a semi hollow body which can sound nice, but not for high gain distorted sounds as you're likely to suffer with feedback.
In the UK they tend to go for about 300 or so - if you took away the heritage and lawsuit factors you could buy a much nicer (IMHO) guitar for 300.

If I was looking to buy another Les Paul now and not spend Gibson money...

Vintage - can have variable quality so try before you buy, mostly very good considering the cheap cost for a set neck.

Tokai - Japanese are bettter than Korean, but both are very good for the money.

I'd alos include the PRS SE range of single cutaways and the Aria TA? models all of which have a good rep. for the price but aren't striclty Les Paul copies.

Cheers
John P.

Tags
hollow body , ibanez les paul , les paul , les paul custom , les pauls , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode