Ibanez Lo-TRS II, best replacement? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Ashurbanipal
  • 1 Post By KennyV

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2020, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Ibanez Lo-TRS II, best replacement?

Hi all, I recently got a '95 Iceman IC-350 - the one non-signature model that featured a Floyd Rose. It's fitted with the original Lo-TRS II trem. This model was pretty bad to begin with and after @ 25 years of use it's fairly worn and tuning stability is not the greatest. I know this has been discussed all over the place before, but everything I come across is fairly dated.

I'm looking for a direct replacement that requires no modification to the trem cavity and have a high preference to keep it Ibanez branded. Knowing that not all floyd style trems fit in all cavities, Ibanez made some greats & some duds, and since the last time i really looked Ibanez developed some newer models... What is my best option to replace the Lo-TRS II given my preferences?

Thank you in advance for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2020, 07:19 AM

Re: Ibanez Lo-TRS II, best replacement?

Would be hard to stay with Ibanez branded stuff as most of it (Edge, Lo Pro, post-2003 models etc.) is not a direct fit. There is also the Lo TRS I which is slightly better than the II, and was put on MIJ guitars in the past.

Otherwise, most OFR types will fit the TRS route and post spacing. So an actual OFR is possible, Schaller, and the Gotoh GE1996T. The latter may be a better fit as the stock radius of the saddles is 14", which is closer to Ibanez spec on locking trem equipped guitars, while OFR is 10". The Gotoh also comes with locking studs (like Edge and Lo Pro), a brass block, and the straight knife edge on the bass side makes up for any tolerance issue in stud spacing.
Edwood likes this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2020, 03:01 PM

Without any kind of modification it will be a hard find to keep Ibanez branded.

Especially if it had a Floyd originally.

TRS ii = import trash.

It's not really worth the weight in metals it was made of.

That said, you maybe able to sell it as parts if the saddles are in decent shape.

The TRS I as mentioned above was the exact same design, so it will be a drop in replacement.
They were good enough to be sold on their prestige line in Japan before bringing back the edge lopro in around 2005.
Do keep in mind that they don't still use them for a reason though. They are not that great, but better then what you have and they don't need any kind of work to fit in your current set up.

Lastly, and much more recently (prob the easier option to find) the Ibanez DL that comes on Jem Jrs.

Ibanez branded, just like your after. Alot of people will gripe about them but the one on my Jr is fantastic. Even better then the floyd I upgraded to on my rg450.

It could be that I just got a lucky one or that I have not worn it out as much as other claim for it, but I would say the DL is about on par with the TRS 1 from my experience with my 99 rg550 before I sold it.

Gets the job done.

I would however say that of all the Ibanez options available to you with out modification... It would be best to not go Ibanez on this.

9/10 an branded tremolo is no where near the quality of say a Floyd or Gotoh who don't make guitars and just make hardware.

A better option for you may even just be an Official Floyd, as all licenced bridges should be a drop in replacement for the Floyd routes.

Or even just a Gotoh which are known to have slightly smaller profiles than a standard Ibanez type and seems to be the go to for many who swap the stock lower end Ibanez trems and don't want to mod to fit the high end edge trems.

Here's a pic with the Floyd installed on the 450. No mods needed, not even a change in the original trem posts or studs.
20200529_183811_1593457151676.jpg
Edwood likes this.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2020, 06:45 PM

Here is an open listing for a DL bridge. For around 50 bucks.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224056249280
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2020, 06:15 PM

Like others have mentioned, the gotoh Floyd... The ge1996t is a drop in fit, but only if you use 10 gauge strings. If you use 9's then the cavity doesn't allow enough space to intonate properly. I have a js100 I put a custom neck on and a gotoh Floyd. I use 9's so I used a rotary tool to extend the cavity a bit. Plus the gotoh is around $110-$135 US on eBay. It doesn't come with a new locking nut. It has a 16 inch radius, so depending on your neck, you may need shim for the saddles to match your neck radius.

The close up pic of the bridge was when the guitar had 10's. You can see the clearance the Allen screws have. It just fits but works.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200523_091326_1593814504822.jpg (2.33 MB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20200703-182120_Gallery_1593814899136.jpg (1.05 MB, 12 views)

Last edited by JsXLine6; 07-03-2020 at 06:21 PM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2020, 08:54 PM

You could also order shorter string lock screws if the intonation is iffy
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-04-2020, 08:22 AM

I know that works with a Schaller Floyd, and probably with the original as well. But I looked into it with the gotoh and they won't fit using Schallers allens. The spacing of the base plate where the screws go through are too narrow. Unless there's another brand you're aware of?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-04-2020, 10:55 AM

Do you mean you would not be able to use the Allen key meant for the bridge or what
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-04-2020, 11:15 AM

I'm not exactly sure what you mean... but after you posted your last post I did a search, the allens that I saw before were like these.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/233253606592

But then I saw these! I had no idea these existed.

https://reverb.com/item/404931-schal...d-rose-tremolo

These would work because they are not thick. If I had known I would have just bought the ones on reverb. I thought Schaller only made the thicker ones back when I did the bridge install.

Last edited by JsXLine6; 07-04-2020 at 11:27 AM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-04-2020, 05:01 PM

That's a string lock screw.

The Allen key is the tool you use to tighten hex bolts/screws

They come in a bunch of different sizes, and the thickness of them depends on the style of the bridge when they come out.

Some of the thicker ones like in your first post allow you to string the ball end of the strings through the tube end. That's why they tend to be big boys.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-05-2020, 10:16 AM

Yeahhhh and they're both Allen keyed. And they are both the string lock screw, the shorter thick ones do the same as the longer ones. I have a Schaller Floyd on a custom strat style warmoth guitar that has them. They are simply shorter. No Floyd rose style bridge can be used with the ball ends attached to the string. I think we (or I) may have misunderstood some terminology earlier. I reread and I referred to what you call the string lock screw as an Allen screw... Because well, it is an Allen screw. But "string lock screw" is a more specific term. But the short thick ones I shared earlier are also string lock screws.

Last edited by JsXLine6; 07-05-2020 at 10:41 AM.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-05-2020, 10:27 AM

Here ya go, right from Schallers website, you can see the style string lock screws come installed on this bridge.

https://schaller.info/en/tremolos/359/schaller-tremolo

Last edited by JsXLine6; 07-05-2020 at 10:42 AM.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-05-2020, 03:29 PM

I understood what you were getting at.
But every screw on a Floyd is an Allen style lol.
So I wanted to be sure.

There are some that you can use the ball ends in, they just are not always that good.

Ibanez edge 2 and 3 for example allow ball ends in the trem, I used to load them like that all the time.

I had an old Peavy tracer from the 80s that had the weird back loaded string locks as well. You would load the string through the Allen key opening and string it up through the saddle.

Once it was somewhat tight you then locked it in like normal.

I don't remember the brand of bridge on it, but I don't think it was an OFR

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode