Which Ibanez model is this? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Which Ibanez model is this?

Hello good folks at Jemsite. I have been offered two Ibanez guitars (will see if I can get the photos to work)

Does anyone here know more about the models, playability, which one I should go for and what price I should pay?

Regards,
Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Re: Which Ibanez model is this?

Hopefully these are the photos

Last edited by swedishconnection; 08-22-2014 at 01:23 PM.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Lets see if I get this done with photos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ibanez 1.jpg (66.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg ibanez 2.jpg (37.7 KB, 4 views)
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 05:40 PM

someone just posted a thread about a similar snakeskin guitar
http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f16/sn...sh-132632.html
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 06:07 PM

The first one is the RG530 in Black Pearl. Thicker neck than the later "modern" RG550. This one could be cheap, depends on the condition, and also how aware the seller is of what's for sale. It can be a very good guitar.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Euphor View Post
The first one is the RG530 in Black Pearl. Thicker neck than the later "modern" RG550. This one could be cheap, depends on the condition, and also how aware the seller is of what's for sale. It can be a very good guitar.
I don't see those Roadstar shaped RGs that much. Note the lack of rout for pulling up on tremolo. This must be before Steve Vai's Jem made it popular.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-23-2014, 08:15 AM

The RG530 is a 1986 model. It has the typical Ibanez wood spec, with an added flame maple veneer. The trem is Edge, but bend down only, as has been stated. There is a little up bend, because the trem doesn't rest on the body. The pups are IBZ passive buckers, 3 ceramic mags, wound to about 13k, epoxied into the cover like EMG. They're ok - I didn't care for the neck bucker in my RS525 but the bridge is fine. Volume pots are push-push for splitting. The neck is a kind of Fendery C shape with a 14" fingerboard radius, iirc.

Price wise, well, they don't come up often so it's hard to gauge, but perhaps around $400 would be reasonable, though I've seen them in the $500-600 range. Though you're in Europe, where prices are higher by default.

I'd like one in wine pearl myself . I think they're pretty underrated.

That snakeskin looks pretty cool too.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-23-2014, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashurbanipal View Post
The RG530 is a 1986 model. It has the typical Ibanez wood spec, with an added flame maple veneer. The trem is Edge, but bend down only, as has been stated. There is a little up bend, because the trem doesn't rest on the body. The pups are IBZ passive buckers, 3 ceramic mags, wound to about 13k, epoxied into the cover like EMG. They're ok - I didn't care for the neck bucker in my RS525 but the bridge is fine. Volume pots are push-push for splitting. The neck is a kind of Fendery C shape with a 14" fingerboard radius, iirc.

Price wise, well, they don't come up often so it's hard to gauge, but perhaps around $400 would be reasonable, though I've seen them in the $500-600 range. Though you're in Europe, where prices are higher by default.

I'd like one in wine pearl myself . I think they're pretty underrated.

That snakeskin looks pretty cool too.
13K...those are hot pickups and probably great for metal and the split option is perfect. I put a push pull in my guitar to split hot humbuckers and the single coil mode is hot enough to use.

I like that it's the Edge on that old school RG and a little up bend is all I need. I don't go for the extreme stuff anyway on any trem, especially the Bigsby I use these days.

I didn't know the RG had the old Roadstar shape and I thought that the Roadstar only became an RG only when it took on that sleek superstrat RG shape we all know today. Those Roadstar looking RGs should become collectible one day and become very expensive on the vintage market.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-24-2014, 12:27 PM

They're not bad - pretty beefy sounding, with typical compression of a high output pup. The single coil mode is indeed hot enough to use in isolation and it keeps up, I use it this way quite a bit actually. The RG600 has active pups. There's actually a 530 like in the op on eBay right now for $350 bin.

Yes, in 1986, the RG moniker appeared for the first time, though the guitars were still Roadstars. I don't know that they'll become collectable, they're just not that sought after compared to the Jem derived RGs (most people don't care for the butter knife headstock, notched horns, trem that doesn't pull up), but they have important shredder DNA for what came later.

I like them though - neck shapes in particular are a winner for me.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-24-2014, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone (GUITARMAGEDDON, Ashurbanipalfor,63Blazer, The Euphor) for initiated, informative responses and cool facts. I love Jemsite!

It seems that the price for the reptile /snakeskin will be around 250-300USD. The RG530- 350USD. Should I go for it? I do like the reptile much more but judging by your responses the RG530 is a "better" guitar? Hey, Ashurbanipal, I like the wine pearl too! Could totally see Paul Gilbert rockin' that one!

Last edited by swedishconnection; 08-24-2014 at 04:37 PM.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-24-2014, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

GUITARMAGGEDON, Very interesting thread! (http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f16/sn...sh-132632.html). So the snakeskin might be a 560 but why is it the neck stamped IRG 750 you think? After reading Im sure it has the exact specs as the guitar Im offered. Crafton, the Swedish distributor is also interesting. I found their stamp on my Pro Line 1770 which indicates that they only imported "cool" models? (wishful thinking)
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-24-2014, 06:42 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedishconnection View Post
GUITARMAGGEDON, Very interesting thread! (http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f16/sn...sh-132632.html). So the snakeskin might be a 560 but why is it the neck stamped IRG 750 you think? After reading Im sure it has the exact specs as the guitar Im offered. Crafton, the Swedish distributor is also interesting. I found their stamp on my Pro Line 1770 which indicates that they only imported "cool" models? (wishful thinking)
The way it's looking, these snakeskin guitars appear to be spot production models for the European market. They have the same specs as a USA custom but don't seem to have ever gone through the H&S shop in Bensalem. Possibly an "EU custom"?....... I wonder where assembly was done on these.......Fujigen? Meinl?

The neck and body stamps are correct for that period USA custom. The only thing missing (as Jesse stated in the other thread) is the H&S stamp, The "USA custom" logo, and the cast neckplate. None of these things should be expected on a non-USA custom.

The '86 RG's are, IMO, the MOST under rated guitars that have ever come out of Fujigen. I have one and have played many. They all have the same thick tone and "silky" oil finished neck. The OE has longer (non-locking) studs, and the neck joint is roughly 25% thicker than later RG's. All of this adds up to a VERY strong resonance throughout the guitar.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 05:15 AM

^^ The 500-600 series have painted necks, but it's a minor quibble, imo, though I prefer the oiled ones also. They are pretty resonant - my RS525 is a bit of a beast; and my RG410 is no slouch either, though it has a lower output pu - put 10s on it in Eb so it has some grunt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedishconnection View Post
Thanks everyone (GUITARMAGEDDON, Ashurbanipalfor,63Blazer, The Euphor) for initiated, informative responses and cool facts. I love Jemsite!

It seems that the price for the reptile /snakeskin will be around 250-300USD. The RG530- 350USD. Should I go for it? I do like the reptile much more but judging by your responses the RG530 is a "better" guitar? Hey, Ashurbanipal, I like the wine pearl too! Could totally see Paul Gilbert rockin' that one!
Afaik, PG never played these Roadstars, though he did pose with a pink PL2550 for the catalogue, and I think he still owns a PR1660 (bolt on, Rhoads shaped one).

I'd go for the 530 but that's just because it has features I prefer, like the fatter neck and bend-down only trem. Love this colour!

What colour is your PL? I have gold one, my fav guitar.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 07:59 AM

The snakeskin guitar is something like an RG660. It's almost certainly a spot production model for the European market in 1989.

There are lots of these guitars from different markets over the years. My very first Ibanez was almost a '95 RG517 in silver metal flake. You'll never find it in a catalog. I think it was a Guitar Center exclusive. I currently own a '10 RG1560JB. Again, you'll never find it in a catalog as it was a spot production model for the US market. The RG765 prototype that is very collectible is the same.

Back to the snakeskin guitar, the stamps on the neck pocket don't mean much. Many RG760's have a body stamped 560, because it's the same body. Many sharktooth necks are stamped RG750 because it's a common neck configuration. While I can't be certain of the exact model number, I'm pretty confident that the snakeskin guitar is a 600 Series RG for the following reasons:

- Cutaway neck heel which was on all 600 Series RG's
- Same pickups and switches as an RG560, which would mean it's definitely not a 700 Series
- Same neck plate as an RG560, again 700 Series would have a different neck plate.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 08:34 AM

Quote:
I do like the reptile much more but judging by your responses the RG530 is a "better" guitar?
Glöm RG530, köp ormskinns-ibban, jag har en exakt likadan. Du lär inte ångra dig.

Tags
ibanez , snakeskin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode