Ibanez model numbers are confusing - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 03:48 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 789
Ibanez model numbers are confusing

There are two reasons they are confusing.

1) Information is not consistent. For example, Ibanez wikia says the RG350M has a Wizard II neck. Ibanez.com says it has a Wizard III neck. Granted, it could just be a typo on wikia.

2) The letters at the end of model numbers seem arbitrary. For example, RG350DX and EXZ have Wizard III necks and Edge Zero II tremolo.

Naturally I would assume that RG350 means Wizard III neck and Edge Zero II tremolo, and the DX or EXZ must stand for color or something.

Nope.

Because the RG350M has an Edge III tremolo.

But the RG350MP has an Edge Zero II tremolo.

From this data we can draw no conclusions about any of the numbers or letters in a model number.

RG370DX has a Wizard III neck and Edge Zero II tremolo. This is very similar to the RG350DX. Perhaps we can assume the DX suffix = Wizard III neck and Edge Zero II tremolo. (this is false, continue reading to see why)

I have learned that a 7 in the 10's digit spot means no pickguard, and a 5 means the guitar has a pickguard.

So RG370DX = RG350DX without the pickguard.

I have also learned that a 1 in the 1's digit location = non-floating tremolo. For example, RG351DX has a Wizard III neck and a Gibraltar Standard bridge.

The RG351DX, with its DX suffix, negates the theory that a DX suffix = Wizard III neck and Edge Zero II tremolo.

Unless, however, we assign an order of operations. DX suffix = Wizard III neck and Edge Zero II tremolo unless the 1's digit in the model number is a 1 in which case it has a Gibraltar Standard bridge instead of an Edge Zero II tremolo.

RG350M = Wizard II (or Wizard III, depending on who you believe) and Edge III tremolo.

RG350MP = Wizard III and Edge Zero II tremolo.

Again, nothing can be decoded from this, since RG350DX has the same Wizard III and Edge Zero II despite having none of the letters in common.

Furthermore, sometimes the model numbers are identical and the only difference is the year they were made:

RG450 (1990-1991) = Wizard, Edge tremolo
RG450 (1992-1993) = Wizard, Edge tremolo
RG450 (1994-1995) = Wizard II, Lo TRS II
RG450 (2009) = Wizard III, ILT1

Look at those, they are all the same model number. So if someone says "hey, I have an RG450!" that doesn't tell you anything about it.

But wait for it, an RG450MDX has a Wizard III neck and an Edge Zero II tremolo. So does the MDX suffix = Edge Zero II tremolo?

Oh, I noticed that a final character of L = left hand guitar. RG350DXL = left handed version of RG350DX. At least that one makes sense.

If I'm missing something obvious please help me out or point me to a resource that can help.

I'd like to be at the store, see a model number, and go "oh, I know what this means!" rather than "hold on, let me open this huge spreadsheet and look it up. Does that have a Wizard II or Wizard III? And is that an Edge III or a Zero Edge II tremolo?"

edit - fixed my misspellings of "tremolo."

Last edited by ironfistx; 03-17-2012 at 01:24 PM.
ironfistx is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 03:58 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: indonesia
Posts: 2,552
Re: Ibanez model numbers are confusing

it's quiet confusing for someone new to Ibanez.
If you are into ibanez since the 90, it's not that confusing.

as for the numbering, we had discussed it before, long time ago.

for newer Ibbies with EDGE ZERO will come with the letter 'Z' behind the number.
for example : RG 350 MZ... it's edge zeroII, but RG 350M...it's edge 3.
Again... there are so many RG 350, from japan made, korean made, and recently indo made.
RG 350 from Japan will use TRS, so there is no way to get the exact formula for it.
it always depend on the year of production,and country of origin.

now, regarding the numbering is quite simple.
we generalize it as:
X20 = hum-hum
X50 = hum-single -hum with pickguard
X60 = hum -single-single
X70 = hum -single- hum, no pickguard
XX1 = fixed bridge
XX5= hum- single
XXXX= 4 digits, prestige and J custom model

besides those number, there are so many more, for example : RG 548, RG 507... and so on.

have a lot of readings and searching on the internet, and looking at the catalogues to find out all models.
psychoshredder is offline  
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 08:41 AM
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Melbourne, FL 32940
Posts: 3,348
Re: Ibanez model numbers are confusing

RG350MYE

RG3 is the level of the guitar
The higher the RG number the higher the level or cost of the guitar

RGX50 example above says it all

RG350M the M means Maple Fretboard, they don't say any letter for Rosewood or Ebony

YE is the color Yellow

DX means it has sharks teeh for inlays

I don't think the Z is for Zero type trems at all, other wise the RG350MYE would have a Z in the the name somewhere

THey neck shape like Wizzard II or III, is never in the number, you just have to look it up
sebastian is offline  
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 12:46 PM
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 5,752
Re: Ibanez model numbers are confusing

I've never paid attention to the cheaper guitars, but on Prestige and higher, Z means Edge Zero.

Wizard II is a Korea thing. Since guitars are not produced there any longer, you now have Wizard III, which are made in Indonesia. If I had to guess, I'd say that the reason you see the RG350M and RG350MP is that Ibanez has tons of leftover RG350M's and they needed a way to distinguish the new model. They'll probably drop the P designation once the old stock is depleted.

The same thing happened with the RG1570. When the Edge Zero came out, it was the only guitar that continued to be sold with an Edge Pro for a long time. If you saw the serial numbers of "new" guitars, you would notice that they stopped at a certain year and Ibanez was just selling off a huge inventory of them, hence the long carryover of the old trem.

Back to the RG350M, those are Korean-made and those guitars have Wizard II necks and Edge III trems (which are junk). Indonesia has Wizard III necks and Edge Zero 2 trems.
Takin' a Ride is offline  
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 789
Re: Ibanez model numbers are confusing

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoshredder View Post
it's quiet confusing for someone new to Ibanez.
If you are into ibanez since the 90, it's not that confusing.

as for the numbering, we had discussed it before, long time ago.

for newer Ibbies with EDGE ZERO will come with the letter 'Z' behind the number.
for example : RG 350 MZ... it's edge zeroII, but RG 350M...it's edge 3.
RG350DX has Edge Zero II. So does RG350MP. Maybe it's just on the higher models, like Takin' a Ride said.

Quote:
now, regarding the numbering is quite simple.
we generalize it as:
X20 = hum-hum
X50 = hum-single -hum with pickguard
X60 = hum -single-single
X70 = hum -single- hum, no pickguard
XX1 = fixed bridge
XX5= hum- single
XXXX= 4 digits, prestige and J custom model
That makes sense.

What does the number in the hundreds place mean? What is the difference between RG350, RG450, and RG550?
ironfistx is offline  
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 789
Re: Ibanez model numbers are confusing

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian View Post
RG350MYE

RG3 is the level of the guitar
The higher the RG number the higher the level or cost of the guitar

RGX50 example above says it all

RG350M the M means Maple Fretboard, they don't say any letter for Rosewood or Ebony
Most of the Ibanez guitars I've seen have Maple fretboards regardless of if they have an M or not. For example, the following guitars have maple fretboards:

RG350EXZ
RG350M
RG350M
RG350MP
RG350MZ
RG531DX
RG370DX
RG450

edit - I was wrong, according to Ibanez.com the RG350DX has a bound Rosewood fretboard.

Quote:
YE is the color Yellow
Sometimes I have seen a color abbreviation after all the other stuff, so I think that makes sense.

Quote:
DX means it has sharks teeh for inlays
Are you sure it's not just the X? RG350EX has shark teeth inlays.

Last edited by ironfistx; 03-17-2012 at 01:35 PM.
ironfistx is offline  
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 01:12 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Melbourne, FL 32940
Posts: 3,348
Re: Ibanez model numbers are confusing

I was talking about the RG350 when I said M = Maple.
I forgot about the EX.
EX??? extremly cheep
DX may mean Deluxe.
All the DX have sharks teeth as far as I know.
sebastian is offline  
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 789
Re: Ibanez model numbers are confusing

Is RG350EZ related to the other Ibanez EX series?

A made in Korea Ibanez EX from the 80's was my very first Ibanez back when I was learning how to play. A good beginner guitar.
ironfistx is offline  
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 01:19 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Georgia, USA
Posts: 2,878
Reviews: 4
Re: Ibanez model numbers are confusing

The hundreds is the hierarchy - 5XX (before '03) was the standard model, also shortly followed by it's higher end brother 7XX, to compensate the lower end (which was initially MIJ, but moved to production after a short period) the 4XX series was made, and following that an even lower 3XX series.

In 2003 they moved the 5XX series to prestige, and gave it at least 3 additional tiers.
15XX - entry prestige, normally has only V-series pickups
25XX - a little better, normally has DiMarzios
35XX - Normally the best prestige, and has several special options and exclusive hardware. There occasionally is another tier of 4XXX, but they are often only available in certain regions.

2011 saw the introduction of the premium series with 8XX and the even better 9XX series. the 9XX had figured tops.

ADDENDUM - EZ is what they used to be very clear with the 3XX series while they were transitioning to the Edge-zero II trems. People needed to know they were getting an EZII instead of and Edge-III.
EX has always meant "extreme" and aesthetically aimed at heavier genres. DX is deluxe, and started with the RG550 which gave the 550 a mirrored pickguard and sharkstooth inlays. in the 350, it only means it has a pearloid guard and sharksteeth, I guess to make you feel like you are getting your money's worth.

FWIW, if the number has a 1 at the end (like 551, 321 etc) it is fixed. The 560 model also had a 565, which removed the middle pickup and also had "DX" features, like color-matched inlays.

Last edited by fwd0120; 03-17-2012 at 01:28 PM.
fwd0120 is offline  
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 789
Re: Ibanez model numbers are confusing

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwd0120 View Post
The hundreds is the hierarchy - 5XX (before '03) was the standard model, also shortly followed by it's higher end brother 7XX, to compensate the lower end (which was initially MIJ, but moved to production after a short period) the 4XX series was made, and following that an even lower 3XX series.

In 2003 they moved the 5XX series to prestige, and gave it at least 3 additional tiers.
15XX - entry prestige, normally has only V-series pickups
25XX - a little better, normally has DiMarzios
35XX - Normally the best prestige, and has several special options and exclusive hardware. There occasionally is another tier of 4XXX, but they are often only available in certain regions.

2011 saw the introduction of the premium series with 8XX and the even better 9XX series. the 9XX had figured tops.
I'm looking at RG350DX vs RG450MDX (which seems to only be available at mf) and they both have:

3 piece maple neck
Wizard III
Edge Zero II
Basswood body

Only the pickups and neck appear to be different:

RG350DX has INF3, INFS2, INF4, and the RG450MDX has V7/S1/V8. Are those pickups better, hence the 4 in the hundreds digit rather than 3 (and higher price)?

RG350DX has a rosewood neck, RG450MDX has a maple neck (but apparently this doesn't cause a difference in price as the RG350DX and RG350MP have rosewood and maple necks, respectively, but have the same list price).

Last edited by ironfistx; 03-17-2012 at 01:38 PM.
ironfistx is offline  
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 01:33 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Georgia, USA
Posts: 2,878
Reviews: 4
Re: Ibanez model numbers are confusing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironfistx View Post
Most of the Ibanez guitars I've seen have Maple fretboards regardless of if they have an M or not. For example, the following guitars have maple fretboards:

RG350DX
RG350EXZ
RG350M
RG350M
RG350MP
RG350MZ
RG531DX
RG370DX
RG450
Not entirely true.
The 350DX is rosewood, but there is a DXM model (deluxe features - maple board). I know, I have personally played both.

The only one that holds up to your statement is actually not on your list... The RG550, which had rosewood on some 90s year models, but is generally recognized for having maple boards.
fwd0120 is offline  
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 01:36 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Georgia, USA
Posts: 2,878
Reviews: 4
Re: Ibanez model numbers are confusing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironfistx View Post
I'm looking at RG350DX vs RG450MDX (which seems to only be available at mf) and they both have:

3 piece maple neck
Wizard III
Edge Zero II
Basswood body

Only the pickups appear to be different:

RG350DX has INF3, INFS2, INF4, and the RG450MDX has V7/S1/V8. Are those pickups better, hence the 4 in the hundreds digit rather than 3 (and higher price)?
Hold on, bro - The 450MDX has a mahogany body! Yes, the V series are much better especially if you use the "Phantom V8 mod" (we can discuss that later).

To answer your question, the 450MDX is better. In fact, I would by that guitar if I had the money.

BIG EDIT: just checked MF, that is a different spec list, and it may have changed from 2011's model. It sure says basswood, but it could be a typo.

Another big edit: Just check this http://digital.***************.com/*...01s?pg=15#pg15 - is says mahogany here, so it may have changed... which is unfortunate, I really like mahogany... in that case... get whichever you want, you're gonna want to change them to real DiMarzios anywhay... if not, get the 450MDX and do the Phantom mod.

Last edited by fwd0120; 03-17-2012 at 01:46 PM.
fwd0120 is offline  
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 789
Re: Ibanez model numbers are confusing

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwd0120 View Post
Not entirely true.
The 350DX is rosewood, but there is a DXM model (deluxe features - maple board). I know, I have personally played both.

The only one that holds up to your statement is actually not on your list... The RG550, which had rosewood on some 90s year models, but is generally recognized for having maple boards.
You are correct, I edited my post.
ironfistx is offline  
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 789
Re: Ibanez model numbers are confusing

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwd0120 View Post
Hold on, bro - The 450MDX has a mahogany body!
Not according to MF:

http://www.***************.com/guita...lectric-guitar

edit - this forum doesn't like mf, does it?

Quote:
Yes, the V series are much better especially if you use the "Phantom V8 mod" (we can discuss that later).
Is that where you swap the magnets on the two humbuckers? I think I read about that somewhere.

Quote:
BIG EDIT: just checked MF, that is a different spec list, and it may have changed from 2011's model. It sure says basswood, but it could be a typo.
Whoa, that edit was not there when I was replying to your post. Ninja edit!

Would you say mahogany is better than basswood? I see that the RG470MH is listed on Ibanez.com as being mahogany.

Does "M" mean mahogany or maple?
ironfistx is offline  
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 01:54 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Georgia, USA
Posts: 2,878
Reviews: 4
Re: Ibanez model numbers are confusing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironfistx View Post
Not according to MF:

http://www.***************.com/guita...lectric-guitar



Whoa, that edit was not there when I was replying to your post. Ninja edit!
lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironfistx View Post

Is that where you swap the magnets on the two humbuckers? I think I read about that somewhere.
Yep, it sure is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironfistx View Post

Would you say mahogany is better than basswood? I see that the RG470MH is listed on Ibanez.com as being mahogany.
I personally prefer it slightly, but then again, that's just my style. Les Paul's ha Mahogany, so it kinda beefs up an RG slightly, but that may nor be best for all styles, or your style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironfistx View Post
Does "M" mean mahogany or maple?
Maple
fwd0120 is offline  
Reply

Tags
ibanez model numbers

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how to identify Japanese model numbers fly_with_v All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 6 03-17-2011 03:51 PM
conflicting model numbers??? barbarelaxe All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 2 12-09-2006 10:22 PM
Is there a particular system with these JEM model numbers? mike777 Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models 3 01-15-2004 02:23 PM
Di marzio model numbers.... - help needed. yuza Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic 2 02-09-2001 02:20 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome