Ibanez and the Neck Trough - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

Ibanez and the Neck Trough

Anyone knows why Ibanez doesn't keep a line of neck trough guitars?

Is there a consctruction issu? Anything that keep them from offering more NeckTrough in their choices?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 09:29 AM

Reviews: 21
Re: Ibanez and the Neck Trough

There's been an RGT42 in white hung up on the pegs at the local Scam Ash. I'm not sure if its the same one but it's been there since I started dating my wife. We're married now and have a kid. I think it's on clearance for $500. I personally like the RGT's that are fixed but I didn't like any of the colors they made them in. That or they loaded them with EMG's which I also don't like. Different strokes I suppose. I think Ibanez doesn't make them anymore because people didn't buy them.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

That's weird... A necktrough with Mahogany wings will give you a type of sustain that you can not get from many combination...

Apparently you can buy an RGT42 around here (in canada) for about 400$ (with OEM pickups), honestly, It's a steal!
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 10:21 AM

Some people don't like the feel of painted necks.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian View Post
Some people don't like the feel of painted necks.

RGT 2020/ RGT 220.

Both models came in a mohagany wings and ash wings versions.
I believe the mahoganies were a staind oil finish and the ash came natural.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by t1mman View Post
Anyone knows why Ibanez doesn't keep a line of neck trough guitars?

Is there a consctruction issu? Anything that keep them from offering more NeckTrough in their choices?
It's probably more a matter of supply and demand. Ibanez keeps a number of through-necks in their line up and reduces and increases them every so often, but they always are in lower numbers compared to the bolt ons. Given that Ibanez is one of the most successful guitar brands in the world, one has to rationalise that they're doing something right and know their market.

In other words, not enough people want an Ibanez through-neck for them to warrant a huge range of them.

Quote:
That's weird... A necktrough with Mahogany wings will give you a type of sustain that you can not get from many combination...
But then you also should be asking, how often does the sort of music that most RGs are used for even need limitless natural sustain under low gain conditions?

I've never had sustain issues from any of my Ibanez bolt ons, to the point I worry about the construction hampering the sustain. Most of the time on an Ibanez folks are trying to get as many notes into as shot a time as possible, not get one note to hang on bar after bar...
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 11:33 AM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death.by.G-string View Post
RGT 2020/ RGT 220.

Both models came in a mohagany wings and ash wings versions.
I believe the mahoganies were a staind oil finish and the ash came natural.
the necks on those guitars are still painted (cleared).......

post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 11:36 AM

Reviews: 2

I do have to add that,I too, would love to see more RGT models....Maybe an RGT970 Premium w/ EZ2??

FWIW....the necks on these can be "satined" fairly easily.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
It's probably more a matter of supply and demand. Ibanez keeps a number of through-necks in their line up and reduces and increases them every so often, but they always are in lower numbers compared to the bolt ons. Given that Ibanez is one of the most successful guitar brands in the world, one has to rationalise that they're doing something right and know their market.

In other words, not enough people want an Ibanez through-neck for them to warrant a huge range of them.

But then you also should be asking, how often does the sort of music that most RGs are used for even need limitless natural sustain under low gain conditions?

I've never had sustain issues from any of my Ibanez bolt ons, to the point I worry about the construction hampering the sustain. Most of the time on an Ibanez folks are trying to get as many notes into as shot a time as possible, not get one note to hang on bar after bar...
Besides the MTM2, I don't see any necktrough on their current line. I'm not saying they should offer all sorts of neck trough, but just some options. LTD/ESP has a couples of necktrough on their line, I asume it's because they sell some!

I do understand that for shredders that plays the most scales in the less time they can, sustain and tone isn't realy their "cup of thea", but many of the artists and buyers of ibanez's are not only shredders, you got plenty of metal and metal-core who are kinda trying to get the best tone they can, and chugging is as much as part of playing as "shreding up the neck" is.

I was just wondering if anyone knew a specific reason why Ibanez doesn't offer it more ofter

I know it's realy specific, but once you get a taste of a neck trough with Mahogany, it's kinda something you 'd like to have on your next purchase! It's just kinda blows that I'll most likely have to browse the classified instead of my local reseller!
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 01:49 PM

Reviews: 11

Quote:
Besides the MTM2, I don't see any necktrough on their current line.
Had to comment on this specifically. The MTM2 is a bolt on. MTM1 is the neck thru
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.M.RG7620 View Post
Had to comment on this specifically. The MTM2 is a bolt on. MTM1 is the neck thru
Ibanez website said this on the MTM2:

MTM - MICK THOMSON SERIES BASICS
  • MTM1ís 5pc thru-neck and mahogany body pump out full, fat tone with strong sustain

maybe the current model is neck trough
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Besides the MTM2, I don't see any necktrough on their current line. I'm not saying they should offer all sorts of neck trough, but just some options. LTD/ESP has a couples of necktrough on their line, I asume it's because they sell some!

I do understand that for shredders that plays the most scales in the less time they can, sustain and tone isn't realy their "cup of thea", but many of the artists and buyers of ibanez's are not only shredders, you got plenty of metal and metal-core who are kinda trying to get the best tone they can, and chugging is as much as part of playing as "shreding up the neck" is.

I was just wondering if anyone knew a specific reason why Ibanez doesn't offer it more ofter

I know it's realy specific, but once you get a taste of a neck trough with Mahogany, it's kinda something you 'd like to have on your next purchase! It's just kinda blows that I'll most likely have to browse the classified instead of my local reseller!
The specific reason is that they don't make enough additional profit to warrant the shift in production to neck-through construction on a wider range of instruments.

Funnily enough, I never took to the taste of a neck-through with mahogany. It's not something I've gone for on ANY of my purchases. I prefer my superstrats more on the "strat" side.
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
I never took to the taste of a neck-through with mahogany
Do you think it creates a tone gap between mid-bass and treble frequencies?
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Ibanez website said this on the MTM2:

MTM - MICK THOMSON SERIES BASICS
  • MTM1ís 5pc thru-neck and mahogany body pump out full, fat tone with strong sustain

maybe the current model is neck trough
No. The MTM1 is neck through. The MTM1 and the MTM2 are not the same guitar.

Reading isn't really that difficult for kids nowdays is it? LOL
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcord View Post
No. The MTM1 is neck through. The MTM1 and the MTM2 are not the same guitar.

Reading isn't really that difficult for kids nowdays is it? LOL
appenrently reading is easy, but analysing gramar is another thing!

You know the "'s" in the sentence means it's "comming from" the MTM1

this sentences was also found on the Ibanez's web site for the MTM2 specs. You could probably do your share of work and browse a little bit there before saying anything.

Unless it's a "misprint", the MTM2 specs on the ibanez's website says it has the neck "comming from the MTM1"

Tags
necktrough , rgt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode