Ibanez necks from Warmoth? - Check it out! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-17-2001, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

Ibanez necks from Warmoth? - Check it out!

I was browsing around Warmoth's site today, and came across this page:

http://www.warmoth.com/neckcontrs/comparNKZ.htm

It looks like they've digitized several neck contours into their milling machines, so you can now get Warmoth necks with an Ibanez, SRV, Clapton or Wolfgang profile for an extra 35 clams. (Question: Is the Wolfgang's asymmetrical neck thicker on the treble side or the bass side?)

They don't state which specific Ibanez neck they copied (i'm guessing it's some sort of Wizard), but looking at their comparisons, the Warmoth standard neck shape looks just a shade thicker than their Ibanez contour, so it might be a bit more "JEM"-like. Anybody have any experience with Warmoth necks?

They also allow custom peghead shapes as an option, too, so it looks like there's now another option for sourcing a replacement or custom Ibanez-style neck in just about any wood combo you might desire, as well as some basic inlay options. They do scalloping (full and partial), too!

A rosewood neck with pau ferro fretboard is $267 (tilt-back headstock design) and the custom head shape is a $35-$55 option. The same woods with a straight headstock (think Reb Beach's original Pensa-Suhr) starts at $198.

They've got some really great options going on necks and bodies. One could put together a pretty darn good Tom Anderson-esque guitar from Warmoth parts for probably less than a grand. I'd go with a hollow alder Strat body, koa or quilted maple top, brown burst finish with natural binding, rosewood neck and pau ferro fretboard with a small Anderson-style headstock. Mmm... purty...

Now, if only they'd do All-Access Neck Joints!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-17-2001, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Ibanez necks from Warmoth?

As an added note, i noticed that Stewart-MacDonald also has almost their entire catalog now available for online browsing/shopping at http://www.stewmac.com

Sure does make it tempting to start working on a project guitar!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-17-2001, 05:53 PM

Reviews: 5

has anyone checked to see if they really feel like an Ibanez neck? *I'd also like to know what kind of Ibanez neck. *I certainly don't want to shell out $35 extra to get a neck profile from an Artstar
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2001, 10:42 AM

The people at Warmoth are very personable. *If you call and ask, I'm sure they'll tell you whatever they can about the Ibanez neck.

I get the feeling, tho, that it was taken either from Jem or an RG, as they were clearing out some Ibanez hardware a while back -- I got a cosmo black lo-pro edge for $50 when I ordered my custom V body.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 05:28 PM

Warmoth necks are top notch. *I have a compound radius neck and it smokes.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 05:49 PM

I have checked the Warmoth-site and I understand that any Warmoth neck can have an Ibanez contour. But, it's not a replacement neck for an Ibanez guitar. So, folks you may have project guitars with Ibanez kind of necks. However, if you want to have replacement necks for your Ibanez, you have to custom order it.

Better than nothing...
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-20-2001, 04:29 PM

Regardless, Warmoth seems to have the most affordable "custom" neck around. *I have used several (not the "Ibanez" profile), and they do terrific work and have an extremely fast turn around time.

As long as the neck fits the guitar, what difference does it make if it has an Ibanez stamp on it?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-20-2001, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Quote: from kirk on 4:29 pm on Jan. 20, 2001

As long as the neck fits the guitar, what difference does it make if it has an Ibanez stamp on it?
Exactly!

I was recently in the market for putting together a custom guitar and Warmoth was top of my list for the neck, (the body was going to be taken care of here in the U.K).

Their attention to quality ( plus the price ) was what attracted them to me, plus all the good comments I'd heard about them.

Necks are damn expensive over here ( but still cheaper than custom guitar wares )
Mainly due to the fact that luthiers of any decent quality are extremely scarce and if it's something they ain't used to i.e. fender, gibson, the price takes a massive hike.

To cut a long story short, the custom went out of the window after I spent the money on a DBK I fell in love with, but hopefully if I put in the overtime I can re-kindkle the project.

In closing, I was impressed with Warmoth as a whole and wouldn't hesitate to deal with them in the future, just hang for a while and I'm sure you'll see a plethora of options to suit you in all departments.

Cheers

Steve
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-20-2001, 11:58 PM
rgr

Quote:
I'm not sure if their necks will fit Ibz bodies. *They do make nice necks and bodies though. *
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 06:03 PM

well, got bored and looked up all the dimensions. *the warmoth are from, well, warmoth obviously, while the ibanez are from the actually helpful '99 ibanez site (not like their 2000 site).

then i looked up the conversion formula, 1 inch = 2.54 centimeters (which then you can move the decimal over to mm).

the Warmoth ibanez neck: *1st Fret - .735" * * 12th Fret - .810" *
which converts to: * 1st Fret - 18.669mm * 12th Fret - 20.574mm

Wizard: *1st Fret -17.0 * * *12th Fret -19.0 *(mm)

Wizard II: *1st Fret -18.0 * * *12th Fret - 20.5 *(mm)

JEM: *1st Fret - 19.0 * * 12th Fret -21.0 *(mm)

so i guess it's right in between a Wizard II and a JEM. *maybe they'll make a wizard eventually
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 06:45 PM

One more note, last time I spoke with them (probably 6 months ago) they said they were making Ibanez "replacement" (or necks that fit Ibanez guitars) back in the eighties. *Of course at this time, Ibanez was still producing "interchangable parts" and much of their neck profile fit the "standard" Fender profile.

At some point, Ibanez began to move away from this type of neck, and that is when Warmoth became unable to make replacements for Ibz guitars.

In said conversation, they also stated that they would eventually be doing the Ibanez necks again, hence their "Wizrd II/Jem" profile neck which is now available.

I have no idea if this is related to this topic, but I am sure in some odd way it might be. *Besides, I think this post gets me my third dot! *(I hope)
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2001, 04:15 PM

Couldn't a warmoth neck be made to fit a aanj Ibanez? *Because the neck doesn't come with bolt holes drilled from what I understand. *I may be way off.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2001, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote: from chronic insomnia on 4:15 pm on Feb. 12, 2001
Couldn't a warmoth neck be made to fit a aanj Ibanez? *Because the neck doesn't come with bolt holes drilled from what I understand. *I may be way off.
AANJ necks have a longer heel than standard necks, as you can see in this pic of Glen's conversion neck:

You can see where the old screw holes were and where the neck has been extended at the butt end. Warmoth could probably do it, but it would be a super-special order.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-17-2001, 11:16 PM

ryan:

LO-PRO FOR $50!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

DAMN!!!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-19-2001, 02:44 AM

The heel on my 760 looks nothing like that. I think that may be a strat neck, where the fingerboard extends past the neck. My 760's heel and fretboard are the meet in the same spot. I will be converting it to AANJ in the coming weeks.

Tags
aanj neck , access neck joint , alder strat , custom guitar , custom guitar wares , custom ibanez , headstock design , ibanez guitars , ibanez neck , ibanez necks , neck joint , neck joints , neck shape , pro edge , quilted maple , rosewood neck , standard neck , strat body , warmoth neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode