Ibanez OHSC? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Ibanez OHSC?

After a LONG relationship with Peavey USA and Jackson USA/MIJ guitars, I picked up my first Ibanez; a 1989 RG760dg in great condition. It came with a TKL hardshell case. I'm kind of anal about having OHSC's for my guitars. I was wondering what the correct period case would be for this guitar. Does anyone have a photo? There are a few different Ibanez OHSC obvioulsy, and I'm coming up with conflicting information attempting to Google it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 09:31 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re: Ibanez OHSC?

Nice! RG550C hardshell case most likely else M100C molded case which came ~1990. Photos not in the old catalogs would need to really search the web... the naming makes it tricky
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

I am familiar with the M100C case. I am unfamiliar with the RG550c case. Google search just wanted to show me pics of the RG550 guitars. So you're saying that the M100C case came out in 1990? Were the previous year(s) the ones that looked very similar to ESP cases?

This guitar could actually be a 1990 or 91, I haven't received it yet. It was listed as a 1991, but from the research I did on it, it has some tell tale signs that it's actually older than that. But, like the case, I'm getting conflicting information on what was changed in what year (headstock color, volume knob placement, color)

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 10:59 AM

it's a black tolex case with black interior. if your guitar is an '89 it predates the plastic M100C, although it would fit nicely in one of those too as later RG7XX would have that case

https://reverb.com/item/1615701-tkl-...ssible-to-find

if it's a 1990+ look for an M100C with a black band and silver interior. It should also have a "prestige deluxe" label near the center latch. The RG5xx series came in a similar case but label as "professional deluxe' and had a silver band and black interior
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Thank you. So yes, the older cases are basically just like the ESP cases, cool. I actually think that's what it's coming in, basically a non-Ibanez labeled TKL case of the same design.

Anyways to date mine (guitar) from the picture above, or do I need to get the serial?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 11:19 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

what's the serial # on neck plate?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 11:43 AM

if it's an '89 it could have the SN on the neck plate, with the first 2 digits (89) indicating the year followed by 4 numbers which is the build number for that guitar. When they exceeded 4 digits they moved the SN to the headstock...so later 1989's had no SN on the neck plate but you would find F9XXXXX (f == fugigen nfactory, 9 indicates year...1989 and 5 digits for the build number). If it's a 1990+ it would also have the SN on the back of the headstock similar to the late '89's but the first digit would be 0 (for 1990...F0XXXXX), 1 for 1991 (F1XXXXX), etc
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 11:57 AM

One other thing...according to the catalogs dark gray finish was only made in 1989 and 1990 for the RG760...so it's probably one of these two years. In 1991 it was not offered as a color nor in 1992 which is also when the dropped the bridge pickup ring. Given the color and the pickup ring you likely have an '89 or a '90. Check the SN. Interestingly though a late '89 SN could be a 1990 model as they started building them in late the prior year. If that's the case you could probably get away with calling either case "correct". if it's an early '89 or '90 though i'd probably stick with the tolex for the former and plastic case for the latter.

EDIT: the catalog also shows black headstock for 1989 and matching silver heastock for 1990. So I'm almost certain you have a 1989

Last edited by pwsusi; 05-03-2017 at 12:09 PM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

The neck plate is missing the serial it looks like. Going to have to message the seller. It just looks to be an 89 by the body color, headstock color, knob placement, neck plate style. But I could be wrong.

Yes, I was correct, serial is F918925. He even admitted he confused it with another guitar he had. By his pics he has a half dozen or more older Ibanez. He's like me with 80's Peavey's and 90's Jackson's
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 12:37 PM

good point on the knob placement. glad the SN confirms what i think we were able to figure out based on other clues. i'd get the RG550C tolex case
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwsusi View Post
good point on the knob placement. glad the SN confirms what i think we were able to figure out based on other clues. i'd get the RG550C tolex case
Well he's the deal, its going to be coming with a TKL case, which if the style is the same, it's basically just an unlabeled Ibanez case. Which that's close enough for me that it's not going to both me.

Like a couple of my older Jackson just have SBK cases, but are identical to the OHSC of that era minus the logo. I'm ok with that.

I also HAVE an unlogod TKL case I got with an old Peavey years ago that I always thought was just some cheap aftermarket hardshell, until I bought my first real ESP and realized that it's case was exactly like that one I'd been storing old pedals, cords and parts in. So I have that case too, and, at least through photos looks like the Ibanez case. So I think I'll be set either way without spending any money.

Thanks for your help guys! I'm sure I'll have more questions as I start to explore Ibanez further.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode