Ibanez Premium RG 870 vs RG 950 vs RG 970 vs RG 920 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-23-2013, 06:48 AM Thread Starter

Ibanez Premium RG 870 vs RG 950 vs RG 970 vs RG 920

Hi,

What I wanna know is are there appreciable differences between these guitars except the pickups? I know the 920's a H-H guitar whereas the other three are H-S-H but apart from these differences, how do they come up against each other as far as quality, playability etc. goes. In my country I can't test them all out. I'll have to ask the guitar dealer to import them for me.

Also on a side note it would be very nice if you guys could compare the RG 1570 Prestige to the above guitars. They are all approximately in the same price range here.

P.S. I live in India where it is not possible/economically feasible to buy a used Prestige.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-23-2013, 07:27 AM

Re: Ibanez Premium RG 870 vs RG 950 vs RG 970 vs RG 920

I dont have a 1570, but from everything I've heard it's one of the best RG prestige made in recent memory. I dont think it's fair to compare something that is supposedly that good against premiums.
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-23-2013, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

Hi,

Thanks. Is the 1570 really that good? Makes me wonder how good the 2550 and 3550 will be then. By the way I should mention that I have absolutely no preference for how the guitar looks. It should play and sound well.

I'm really interested how the premiums compare against each other.
post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-23-2013, 09:33 AM

I have a 2550. Plays great and sometimes I like it more than my RG550. It just has a charm that I can't describe.
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-23-2013, 09:34 AM

Reviews: 2

apples to apples...... every guitar you asked about is in the same quality range, including the 1570.

The Premiums have had some QC issues so you MUST play/inspect it before buying. This is also true with Prestige's
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-23-2013, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Belonging to an emerging third world country, I am sure that the guitars that come here always have QC problems.

So you're saying that the 1570 is not necessarily "better" than the Premiums? I should also mention that I am going to change the stock pickups anyway. Maybe put the stocks in the cheap guitars (all Indo) I have.

Also we don't have people like Rich over here. And the depreciating currency isn't helping either. So inspection, setup etc are gonna be taken care of by me.

I know this has been discussed here ad nauseum but just to confirm, the Edge Zero is not appreciably better than the Edge Zero II right?
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-23-2013, 10:04 AM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandarpan Mukherjee View Post
Belonging to an emerging third world country, I am sure that the guitars that come here always have QC problems.

So you're saying that the 1570 is not necessarily "better" than the Premiums? I should also mention that I am going to change the stock pickups anyway. Maybe put the stocks in the cheap guitars (all Indo) I have.

Also we don't have people like Rich over here. And the depreciating currency isn't helping either. So inspection, setup etc are gonna be taken care of by me.

I know this has been discussed here ad nauseum but just to confirm, the Edge Zero is not appreciably better than the Edge Zero II right?
Your are correct on all accounts. The EZII is an EZ without the intonation tool built into it.......... which was a terrible idea in the first place and, IMO, a VERY bad PR move. "Is Ibanez have such intonation problems that it needs to make the adjustment tool PART of the trem?"

I think it's great that you'll be handling all the inspection/setup duties on your own. That's the best way to "get to knowing" a guitar, IMO.
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-23-2013, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
Your are correct on all accounts. The EZII is an EZ without the intonation tool built into it.......... which was a terrible idea in the first place and, IMO, a VERY bad PR move. "Is Ibanez have such intonation problems that it needs to make the adjustment tool PART of the trem?"

I think it's great that you'll be handling all the inspection/setup duties on your own. That's the best way to "get to knowing" a guitar, IMO.
My 2550 was way off but that's because I basically ordered it direct from hoshino and it came from the factory. I will say this, that intonation tool helped me ALOT when I had the time to actually sit down and work on it. I need more time to finish the intonation adjustments, but that tool is a godsend for someone like me.
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-23-2013, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

It seems that the intonation tool is just a screw that holds the saddle in place while adjusting it. Is there any way a regular screw could be used as an intonation tool if required?

Both edge zero and edge zero ii look identical sans the intonation "screw". I think it is technically possible to use the EZ screw in the EZ II. But is the intonation tool "just a screw"?
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-23-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
It seems that the intonation tool is just a screw that holds the saddle in place while adjusting it. Is there any way a regular screw could be used as an intonation tool if required?

Both edge zero and edge zero ii look identical sans the intonation "screw". I think it is technically possible to use the EZ screw in the EZ II. But is the intonation tool "just a screw"?
It can't have a point on the screw because it would dig a hole into the saddle. It has to have a flat top or else you're screwed.

Also, not all EZs can use the tool. My RG350EX doesn't have the proper place on the back of the bridge to adjust it with the tool. Prestiges that have the tool are the only ones that can use it iirc.
post #11 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-23-2013, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

"... or else you're screwed". . I understand what you mean. Just noticed that the EZII does have the place to insert the screw. I wonder how a screw in the back would keep the saddle down though.
post #12 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-23-2013, 10:53 AM

That wasn't intentional

the EZIIs on the prestiges only have them, the prems and standard RGs dont have them. It doesn't hold the saddle down, it pulls or pushes the saddle into position. It's much easier to adjust intonation that way than moving the saddles by hand.
post #13 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-23-2013, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
That wasn't intentional

the EZIIs on the prestiges only have them, the prems and standard RGs dont have them. It doesn't hold the saddle down, it pulls or pushes the saddle into position. It's much easier to adjust intonation that way than moving the saddles by hand.
Makes sense. So essentially what I understand is that all the premiums I mentioned are at par and a matter of preference whereas the Prestige may or may not be better than the premiums.

Does the maple fretboard version have a clear coat like Strats or is it bare like rosewood?
post #14 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-23-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Makes sense. So essentially what I understand is that all the premiums I mentioned are at par and a matter of preference whereas the Prestige may or may not be better than the premiums.

Does the maple fretboard version have a clear coat like Strats or is it bare like rosewood?
Well if my 1550 is any help, it's a very light clear coat.

Premiums can be amazing axes. I honestly can say the 25th anniversary RGs are REALLY well made, had a chance to try one before. I dont own any prems though, only old school 550+560, Prestige 1550 and 2550, then a standard RG350exz with the Zero point system.

My only complaint about the premiums is that I dont like any of the colors being offered.
post #15 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-23-2013, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

Nice man. Like I said, to me the color doesn't matter unless it can improve the tone of the guitar.

And now that you've mentioned it I gotta check out the 1xxv I saw the other day.

Tags
ibanez 1570 , ibanez rg 970 , rg 870 , rg 920 , rg 950

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode