Ibanez Prestige Build Issues - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Ibanez Prestige Build Issues

Well, I am finally the owner of an Ibanez RG2570E. I just wanted to share some very disturbing things I noticed during my shopping experience.

The guitar I bought came with a neck that was not proerly aligned. When looking straight at the guitar, the neck angles to the right, so that the thin E string is closer to the edge of the fingerboard than the low-E. Looking at the back of the guitar, the neck screws were already almost all the way over to one side, so it looks like the holes were drilled off by a couple of millimeters. The guitar tech was able to completely straighten the neck, as the screws had a bit of room left to move around, but I was shocked to see this much variance. Eventually, I kept the guitar because it was completely virgin, and because the rest of the Prestiges at the shop had far worse issues.

Another RG2570E also had a mis-aligned neck, and looked like it had been played on. The neck pocket looked like it was not as tight as the one I bought.

I asked to see an RG2550, and the only one they had was made in 2004, so no bound fingerboard. I took a look at the edge of the fingerboard and was horrified. It was rough, bumpy, and looked like someone gnawed it into shape. My $150 Epi had a better looking fingerboard.

Dejected, I asked to see an RG1570. This one was made in mid 2006. The blue finish was awesome, my heart moved. But the fingerboard was of similar poor quality as the RG2550 - edges were rough, bumpy, and not smooth at all.

Both the RG2550 and the RG1570 looked like no one had ever played on them, so these are not damaged instruments. I doubt they are fakes as this was in a large authorized Ibanez dealer.

I am not asking for much here - I know that the 1570/2570/2550 are not the high end prestige guitars. They are meant as utilitarian guitars with not much flash but a lot of performance, offering solid fundamentals. But I think a smoothly finished fingerboard is rather important for playability. These are afterall expensive instruments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 06:19 PM

Re: Ibanez Prestige Build Issues

My 06 RG 2550 is perfect. It sounds like you have been unlucky and have seen a few lemons, which any range of guitars will have.

The general consensus seems to be that the quality of the Prestige range has gone down in recent years though. I wonder why?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 06:50 PM
Vendor

Sounds to me like they were exactly as they should be. The "rough" edges weren't really, were they? More like a little bumpy from the radiusing which is the "Prestige" finishing to round over the edge so it's comfortable on your hand, something that's guaranteed your $150 guitar does not have. It's bumpy because rosewood almost never shaves perfectly smooth as the grains grab whatever edge you're using. If you want perfectly rounded fretboard edges move up to a J Custom where they're much further finished to eliminate the "bumps".

Expect every guitar to need a setup which includes neck alignment. Even if it left the factory perfect a 1 [to 3!!] year old guitar has shrunk enough the screws are now loose enough for everything to have shifted.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Rich!

Thank you for answering my question via email on this guitar.

I know what you mean by radiusing, I see it on the fingerboard bindings of the RG2570. The binding between the frets are radiused. I figured that they were trying to achieve the same thing but with bare wood on the 1570. But it was done in such a rough way that I feel it would have been better if they didn't shave it at all. It really did look rough, as if someone took a Dremel to it and it slipped. If they can finish the fingerboard face to such a high level of smoothness, I guess I expect them to be able to finish the radiusing rather smoothly.

Anyway, I am just happy that the one I bought is now "perfect".

Tags
guitar tech , ibanez dealer , neck angle , neck screws , prestige guitar , prestige guitars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode