Ibanez Prestige - High End/Low End? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Ibanez Prestige - High End/Low End?

What will be the main differences between a Prestige that costs £700 and a Prestige that is around the £1000 mark?

Is there such thing as a low-end Prestige model?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 11:44 AM

Reviews: 4
Re: Ibanez Prestige - High End/Low End?

Yes and no. The pickups on the "higher" models, are one of the most major differences. I'm sure more people will chime in.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 12:08 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Yeah--pups are the big difference. Thay all have similar necks and trems. The higher models have more finished available, but that doesn't warrant the price difference.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 12:50 PM

Reviews: 5

Here's my experience from owning a 1550 & 1421 (still have the 1421) - I have PLAYED a few other Prestige fiddles, so I think this basically applies across the Prestige spectrum

IMO - it's all little things that add up

Try to find Rich's write up/description about the 10th Anniversary stuff - Gotoh-like (not actual Gotoh) tuners; slightly cheaper switch; little different/cheaper output jack

To me, Ibanez sets out to make a platform to which the buyer can mod out (easily) into what they want ----- not saying they all NEED this, just that Ibanez realizes that it is often better to charge less for a model w/their own pickups/tuners since they know the large majority of us Ibby fanbois are gonna rip out everything & throw in (insert your go-to DiMarzio set here)

the 1421s come w/a gig bag instead of the hardcase, but for a brand new instrument, my 1421's playability holds up against many, MANY guitars I have had my moose paws on...many of THOSE being in significantly higher price ranges ---- would apply to the 1550 as well, but the 1550 was a bit more (diff in price + I got a heckuva deal on the 1421) and didn't play out of the box as nice as the 1421

Bottom line: get the one you want, if it's worth it to you ----- I don't see the quality difference in many of them coming equal to the price difference, but there are other factors (style/design/color) that I'd pay for if I had my heart set on something cuz I'm weird like that
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

I've got my eye on an RG1451, which is pretty cheap compared to the other Prestige models but I'm still going to have to buy it used cause my fund aren't that great atm. If i can find a good deal that is..
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 02:29 PM

Rather than the 1451, look at the 1421. Should be about the same price, but a nicer finish and matching headstock.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 09:23 PM

Reviews: 11

The higher numbered prestige models i.e. 3xxx have the super wizard prestige necks which are 1mm thinner then the wizard prestiges on the 1xxx series. Also the pickups which were mentioned already
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

So you reckon a (low end) prestige with seymour duncan blackouts/emg/dimarzio etc pickups will top any other prestige?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 06:36 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezGreg View Post
So you reckon a (low end) prestige with seymour duncan blackouts/emg/dimarzio etc pickups will top any other prestige?
it wouldn't be "better", it would be equal. different, but equal.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 01:15 PM

The 'Prestige' part is the quality of the components and the finishing, which is top notch on all prestiges. The 1451 is the same quality as a 3550. The pickups are cheaper on the lower end models, and the 1451 is a hard-tail, so that will bring the price down too.

I've got an RG2550z, which came with DiM/IBZ pickups. I've swapped them out for a Tone Zone, True Velvet, and Air Norton, which, coincidentally () is exactly what comes in the more expensive RG3550z. So basically I have an RG3550z, although mine doesn't have the super-wizard neck (which is a personal prefence thing rather than a quality one).

EDIT: So, yeah, if you want a specific pickup-combo that Ibanez doesn't offer then just buy the cheapest prestige and chuck out the old ones.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

guess ill be heading over to the pickups section for more info.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 03:40 PM

Dude, all of them are high end.
The main difference is that the expensive ones come with "real" Dimarzios, and the less expensive are going to have their pickups replaced with "real" Dimarzios.
The most expensive have a 1 mm thinner neck, and to me, I see no difference. But you have to go compare them side-by-side yourself, as people have very different opinions on the difference.

Tags
ibanez , mij , prestige

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode