Ibanez Prestige RG PR-3 Info Quantity And Quality - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Ibanez Prestige RG PR-3 Info Quantity And Quality

I have the opportunity to buy a red RG Prestige PR-3. I have been looking for soon info regarding the number of these that were made. I also am curious of the quality as well as what a good price is the one. The one I am looking at is $1750. The guy selling it has told me it's a great price. I've never seen one before but it's got amazing specs with a gold lo-pro, Dimarzio, and ebony fingerboard. I hardly ever see an ebony fretboard w ibanez. Beautiful quilt top and the condition is near perfect.
Please let me know I am hoping I can get before someone else buy's it.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 01:18 PM

Re: Ibanez Prestige RG PR-3 Info Quantity And Quality

That's one of the Texas special models, think there were only 12 of each made for Guitar Centre, very rare guitar. Build quality/spec would be excellent, basically a J Custom without the logo.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 01:56 PM

Reviews: 2

BUY IT!!! you won't find another....especially if it's in good condition. The last PR-1 I found for sale looked like it was dragged behind a pickup truck...........they wanted $1400 for it.

Like Paul said: The PR's are EXTREMELY limited production.

The PR-1:

The PR-2:

The PR-3:
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. So is it worth the money hes asking? There's hardly any information out there that I can find about the guitar. I wonder if anyone knows that list price?
thanks
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 02:34 PM

These guitars are impossible to say whether they're "worth it" or not. Would it be worth it if it said "J-custom" on the headstock?? What if it were a 1-of-12 J-custom?? Guitars in this class truly are worth what someone is willing to pay, so you have to go on your gut feelings with it. For me, I'd buy it, but it has all the specs AND the rarity that I would want in a "perfect" guitar (actually, the PR-1 is MY perfect guitar). Is it everything YOUR looking for in a big $$ guitar??
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 03:25 PM

I would buy it at that money no probs. A really gorgeous Ibanez model.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 04:24 PM

Pendiing condition, the price would be good to me. I would hope my RGPR1 is worth at least that but I may be dreaming.
Many years ago there were discussions if there were 12 or 24 of each model produced. Whatever the number, they seem to be pretty rare. Love the RG3. Quilt top and HH config. Love the purple quilt of the PR2 but the pick up configuration is not for me. If it is in good condition and the powder gold hardware is good I would think that is a great price for a great guitar not to mention the collectability.

Warning: if you get this one, you may be tempted to complete the "holy trinity".

Last edited by big al; 07-21-2012 at 04:46 PM.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big al View Post
Pendiing condition, the price would be good to me. I would hope my RGPR1 is worth at least that but I may be dreaming.
Many years ago there were discussions if there were 12 or 24 of each model produced. Whatever the number, they seem to be pretty rare. Love the RG3. Quilt top and HH config. Love the purple quilt of the PR2 but the pick up configuration is not for me. If it is in good condition and the powder gold hardware is good I would think that is a great price for a great guitar not to mention the collectability.

Warning: if you get this one, you may be tempted to complete the "holy trinity".
And THIS is why I quit my search for a PR-1. There's no way in hell I could justify one of them to my wife, let alone three!!!!!

......although if you ever get "bored" of yours Al......
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 05:10 PM

I had visions of getting all three but my one just sits in a case. Every once and awhile I take it out (still takes my breath away) and back it goes in the case. One of these days I may even change the strings..Ha!

Thanks for posting your questions and reminding or informing some people about these great guitars....Now Go Out and Buy That Damn Thing!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big al View Post
I had visions of getting all three but my one just sits in a case. Every once and awhile I take it out (still takes my breath away) and back it goes in the case. One of these days I may even change the strings..Ha!

Thanks for posting your questions and reminding or informing some people about these great guitars....Now Go Out and Buy That Damn Thing!

I'm just sitting here.....staring.....dreaming........wishing on a star.........
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 05:26 PM

They are beautiful guitars, that one you have big al is stunning!!! There are a few J Custom models knocking about that they are very reminiscent of, the Texas Special were made by the same luthiers apparently. There's actually a PR-2 for sale quite close to where I live, 'bout an hour or so away.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 05:57 PM

Compare that Texas PR-3 against J Custom RG-QM3:

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 09:37 PM

I had the pr2.It really was jcustom quality with a prestige logo.These have an ultra neck profile which didn't suite my playing style at the time.I think they were made in 1999.The rgpr2 was originally tagged at 2999.00 in a gc at dallas,tx.I bought it on clearance in 2002 for 1400.It had a little buckle rash on the back.Another member-gkelm-I think had all 3 at some point back then.I kind of miss mine.I have always liked the red one more.Big al-cool that you still have yours.OP-1750 is very fair if it is in good condition.IMO
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

Wow is that what the list was 2999.00 I guess judging buy what everyone is saying I shouldn't have anything to worry about then. I've been looking at catalog's ALL DAY and I can't find anything Is there a J Custom catalog perhaps? Really hoping to find the list, maybe just any published info.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 11:35 PM

I do not believe you will find them in a catalog, special runs are not in the usual catalog and I doubt a supplemental flyer was create for a limited run.
Here is a quote from gkelm back in 2001 concerning the features:

bigal-
Here's what I know. *The models are:

RGPR1 - natural flame, hum-hum, Dimarzio pickups in cream, gold hardware, Lo-Pro Edge, cream binding, ebony board

RGPR2 - purple quilt, hum-sing-hum, Dimarzio pickups in cream, Cosmo hardware, Lo-Pro Edge, pearl binding, abalone trim, ebony board

RGPR3 - red quilt, hum-hum, Dimarzio pickups in cream, gold hardware, Lo-Pro Edge, cream binding, abalone trim, ebony board

Not sure if there were others, these are the only ones that seem to be related in features. *I believe they were all '99. *

Cannot believe it was that long ago.

Tags
3120 , j custom , j-craft , jem , rg 1570

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode