IBANEZ PRESTIGE RGA121 NWF vs. ESP LTD EC-1000 CHERRY BLACK - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

IBANEZ PRESTIGE RGA121 NWF vs. ESP LTD EC-1000 CHERRY BLACK

Hi. What guitar is better?? with all positive qualities? They both look really nice. Tell me your opinions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 09:17 PM

Re: IBANEZ PRESTIGE RGA121 NWF vs. ESP LTD EC-1000 CHERRY BLACK

I used to own the LTD EC-1000. Very nice guitar, I just couldn't get used to the fixed bridge, after playing with an Edge and it's variants for 20 years. It is MIK vs MIJ for the Ibanez. MIK quality has improved, but it is not as consistent as the MIJ Prestige. Personally, I like the Prestige neck better, but the LTD neck is fine, and not nearly as thick as one might think. Personally, I would go with the Ibanez.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Yea. I know what you mean. I also heard (reading some reviews) that the trim flakes off very quickly and the intonation screws rust too quickly and it doesnt stay in tune well. So im just gonna get the Ibanez...MIJ is better than MIK even though MIK has improved by much. I do like the prestige neck. Thin, comfy, and fast..the EC-1000 is nice but ESP put too much stuff on it and problems occur liek the flaking of the trim. and it doesnt stay in tune. And that RGA 121 is DIRT CHEAP with Team J Craft case. Plain and simple and durbale and gr8 sounding.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

I cant play with a floating trem. i play in different tunings and I cant play with a Floyd Rose because its setup for one tuning.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 10:37 AM

for an extra hundred bucks or so, the ESP EC-II is suppose to be amazing. GuitarOne wrote a review like 3 issues back, if you have that magazine, or know someone that does, read it.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

hi. yea Eclipses are nice and play REALLYYY well. But the cheapest I can get an eclipse is 1400. I got the Prestige (New with OHSC) for 500. So i cant complain. lol.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 01:50 PM

Um, looking at your user name, I sort of get the feeling you'd already made your mind up before you posted this question...
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

yea i did....I just wanted some opinions..you know
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 04:54 PM

The LTD has EMGs, a thicker neck, a TonePros bridge, a quilted maple top, a Schaller locking tuners, and an Earvana nut. The Prestige has crappy V-series pickups, a thinner Wizard neck, an Ibanez Gibraltar Plus bridge,a plain maple top, Ibanez-branded non-locking tuners made by Gotoh, and a regular nut.

However, the Ibanez costs less, and is MIJ. It's your call, really.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 05:07 PM

I own both and if I had to choose, I would take the RGA without hesitation. Better axe and the EC-1000 might have 24 frets but they are hard to reach unless you have your strap cinched up to your chest.

I've wanted an EC-1000 for a loooong time and the first time I hit the stage with it slung low I couldn;t reach around the neck joint to access the upper frets. I had to bring the strap in a little but I kinda loose the "slung-low" cool factor that I was going for in the first place.

The EC is a solid built guitar but the RGA is leaps and bounds better quality (not that I've had ANY quality issues with mine).

They are two completely different axes. I wanted something with an LP shape without buying an LP and I didin't own a dual hum EMG guitar so I knocked off two birds with one stone.

Last edited by screamndemon69; 08-11-2007 at 12:54 PM.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 10:01 PM

I don't know. Apples and oranges. I owned an RGA121 and own an EC-1000 now (with the duncans, not the EMG's). Personally, I think the tone is better on the LTD. The RGA pickups leave something to be desired. Why spend that much money for cheap knock-off pickups? As for the neck, well, both are thing necks but the RGA is much wider. The RGA is bolt on with the EC-1000 being a set neck. Access to upper frets is still a bit better on the RGA but the access to the 24th fret on the EC-1000 is probably the best you will find on any Les Paul style guitar. The EC-1000 doesn't quite have the tone of a Gibson or similar copy as the body is much thinner (pretty close to the RGA in fact). As for reviews about flaking and stuff, well, I haven't seen those reviews. I think that may be one experience only. Mine is exceptional. Fit and finish is great and it is by no means a cheap guitar.

Personally, it's really going to depend on what you like playing. If you like strat style guitars, you'll prefer the RGA. If you like LP's, you'll prefer the EC-1000.

I really don't know where some of you guys are getting your info about the RGA being a heads and tales guitar above the EC-1000.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

reviews are on Harmony-Central . com and some great people here on Jemsite. I dont really "like" LP style guitars because for me its uncomfortable and harder to play on LP guitars and the body is too "small" for me. I prefer like Teles, Strats, Ibanezes, etc. Its a good guitar by all means. But i got the RGA already for 500. with case, candy, and the guitar is NEW MINT. So i cant complain.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPrestigeRGAx View Post
reviews are on Harmony-Central . com and some great people here on Jemsite. I dont really "like" LP style guitars because for me its uncomfortable and harder to play on LP guitars and the body is too "small" for me. I prefer like Teles, Strats, Ibanezes, etc. Its a good guitar by all means. But i got the RGA already for 500. with case, candy, and the guitar is NEW MINT. So i cant complain.
$500 is a good price. They typically run about $600.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

600 with case candy??? and hardshell case?? BRAND NEW? they're 900 US on Musicians Friend. :S

Tags
fixed bridge , floyd rose , les paul , les paul style guitar , locking tuners , neck joint , quilted maple , schaller locking , schaller locking tuners , strat style , strat style guitar , upper fret , upper frets

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode