ibanez project - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2007, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

ibanez project

Hey,
i pickd up an 1990 ibanez RG 550, it is in fairly good condition all round and i want to do it up heaps, firstly i have a few questions i was hoping someone could help me out with. firstly is and RG 550 a good guitar, are they worth doing up coz i dont want it to be like im making a crap guitar look good. Secondly i want to a swirl paint job like the ever so famous universe, i was wondering does anyone no how to paint like this?

thanking you very much,

peter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 01:03 AM

Re: ibanez project

RG550 is a great guitar - certainly worthy of modding. For swirl paint jobs, search the tech sections of this forum for that topic. There's plenty to read about swirls in there.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 01:13 AM
Dee

Congrats. Yep, the 550 is an awesome guitar and more than worthy of doing up.

There are a number of people who can do you a nice swirl. Patrick at Sims Custom Shop (see the banner at the top) does some nice work. For spares (maybe you'll want to replace the bridge or something), see Rich at IbanezRules (again, see banner at the top). He has a ton of parts available. Of course, if you're getting a swirl done at SCS you'd have to send off the body to the USA. Not sure if that's a problem for you, but I'd imagine the shipping costs wouldn't be too heavy. I'm not aware of anyone who does swirls in Australia.

Off-topic: I've been playing a game with myself recently. I try to figure out where someone is from by reading their posts. I knew you were from Australia after you said "heaps". Hehe.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 05:36 AM

Reviews: 13

'Where the bloody hell' am I from Dee?

Wolfram.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 05:50 AM Thread Starter

hey guys thanks alot for the replys, i no of a guy in australia who can do the swirl but it will cost me about $1000, a tad expensive, i was planning on trying to paint it my self though so if any of you have any advice on doing it myself that would be much apprecitaed.

and very nice observation dee.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 07:17 AM
Dee

LMAO @ Wolfram. You got me there. It was the "bloody hell" that made me think you had to be English. How wrong I was...

Pete, yeah $1000 is crazy. I have a basic idea of how a swirl is done, but I think you'd need to practice on an old guitar, or at least a chunk of wood or something. The guide I read said the paints are mixed with Borax into a fairly large container/tank. The guitar body is dipped, and that's how the swirl is created. Obviously this is only the basic idea and I'm sure there's a whole lot more to it. Having never done it myself I'd imagine it's actually quite tricky.

Let me see if I can find the guide again, I'll post it up.

Having all you Aussie's around here is cool, actually. Do any of you guys like Virgil Donati? Probably my favourite musician of all time!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 07:26 AM
Dee

http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/swirled.htm

There's the guide I read.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

oh thank you so much for that dee, i deffinatly have good first impressions on this site after my first post, again thanks heaps. once im done i will post photos.

pete.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 08:17 AM
Dee

Cool, I will look forward to the pics when you're done! And I hope you enjoy your time here. Best of luck with the guitar.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 04:42 PM

Reviews: 120

I knew he was Australian as soon as I read the username "poiter"!
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 07:08 PM

Poiter, what color is your RG550? If for example it is DY (yellow) with maple fingerboard, adding some pink pickups and buttons could transform the looks without painting. (just a thought!)
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

yea it was a desert yellow one but the previous owner stripd it back to the natural wood grain then laquerd it but unfortunatly he didnt stop at only doing the body he also did the neck whilst all the frets were still on it and it looks like he used a brush as well coz theres little black brush hairs under the laquer, and being a mapel fret board they really stand out. it still plays and sounds unbelievably good and the bridge pickup does actually already have a pink and black duncan in it.

i got it dirt cheap tho($200AUS) and the reason i got it was to customise it, i wanna get a refret so the neck looks new again, the custom paint job and also wanna get some dot inalys to watever color i end up painting the swirls, im thinking mabey blue or green. All up it is in good condition only a few dings n **** but im gonna fill them up wen i sand it back.

pete
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

sorry but i have one more question, would swirls look good with a mapel fretboard?
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 02:29 PM

Check out sims custom shop pics on the guitars for sale page, theres a swirl with maple board on there.

Tags
bridge pickup , custom shop , fret board , guitar body , maple fingerboard , sims custom , sims custom shop , virgil donati

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode