Ibanez RBM2 or Suhr Reb Beach Model!! - Which should I buy? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2001, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Ibanez RBM2 or Suhr Reb Beach Model!! - Which should I buy?

For the longest time I've been looking for the Ibanez RBM2 model. I went to the Suhr website and saw the Reb Beach line - BEAUTIFUL guitar! Anyone know the differences between the 2 guitars? Has anyone played both of them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2001, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Ibanez RBM2 or Suhr Reb Beach Model!!

Here is the link for the Suhr Reb Beach Model:

www.suhrguitars.com/rb.htm
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2001, 07:02 PM

yum... Suhr RB...mmmm... want one...

With the Suhr you lose the groovy bottom cutaway, trade in the Lo Pro Edge for an Original Floyd and swap out the EMGs for some Suhr passives. Of course, you get that flame maple top, and boutique guitar quality...

...but I think the most obvious difference between the two models must be the $$$ - a used RBM2 in cherry condition might run you $900 - $1200 when you can find one (which admittedly isn't often). The Suhr is no doubt available if you have the patience to sit and wait for it, but I'd wager it costs a pretty penny - pro'ly round about $3000 (total guess, but I'd be very suprised if it was much less). There are probably very few people besides Reb himself who've played the Suhr RB model.

That being said, I think you should abandon your search for that nice Ibanez Reb Beach, and save up for the Suhr. And if you find an RBM2 in the mean time, tell me where (puh-leeze) :biggrin:

anyone lookin' to cop a peek at the Suhr RB can CLICK HERE
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2001, 10:02 PM

Personally, i'd be more inclined to build my own guitar like Reb's original Pensa-Suhr with the mahogany back, koa top and solid pau ferro neck.

You could probably assemble it from Warmoth parts (without that "flying cheese wedge" mirrored pickguard) for less than what John Suhr would charge you.

Is it just me, or do Suhrs, Pensas, Andersons and Schecters all look like they came out of the same shop?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2001, 11:12 PM

If asked which is the better guitar, I'd say they're both up there and probably not much difference. Can one realistically compare 9.86 out of ten and 9.87?

Everybody probably knows by now that I just got an RBM400, the Japan Rosewood neck version. Unreal! The looks alone make the guitar cook. But that's just my opinion...
Eric
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 05:41 PM

Darren, are you being sarcastic? *I can't tell. *In case you are not, Pensa and Suhr did come from the same shop when John Suhr used to work for/with Rudy Pensa at Rudy's Music Stop. *In fact, Reb's original guitar was a Pensa-Suhr. *Also, Tom Anderson started out at Schecter, which is why there are some striking similiarities. *Schecter, though, is no longer under the same management that it was under when Tom worked there. *I actually have a Schecter that was built by Tom Anderson when he worked there. *It looks identical to a Tom Anderson except for the Strat headstock. *Please forgive me if you already new this as I figure that it must be too much of a coincedence that you picked those four companies.

Darin
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 05:51 PM

The Suhr Reb Beach model without a doubt!! *The RBM2 is a good instrument but the quality of woods is nowhere near in the same ballpark.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 05:58 PM

I just checked the Suhr website and I would have to agree---the Reb Beach model it is. *The Ibanez one with with the EMG's and pau ferro neck is cool, but it just is not in the same league as this guitar. *Besides if you want the Pau Ferro neck on the Suhr it is an available FREE option. *I live in NYC and I have played many Pensa-Suhr's and many similiar guitars. *I do not mean to slam Ibanez (because they make some great guitars,) but they are just not comparable to these.

Darin
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2001, 03:55 PM

All the Suhr guitars I have played were great(all 2 lol) and this probably isnt a exception. *My only problem with RB model is that pickguard. *WTH are they thinking?!?!?

Well if you decide to order it, happy waiting!

Steve
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2001, 07:58 PM

Hey Zabitha & Jimi D, I have an RBM2 that I may be interested in trading. Please check my post in the classifieds forum. Thanks.

Tags
beautiful guitar , flame maple , ibanez rbm , ibanez reb beach , john suhr , mirrored pickguard , pro edge , rosewood neck , suhr guitars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode