Ibanez recommendations please......... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Ibanez recommendations please.........

I am looking to purchase an Ibanez. The one thing that has attracted me to the Ibanezes that I've played in the past is the flat and shallow necks. They play so fast.

Right now I have absolutely no idea what would be the best guitar for my purposes. My budget would be under $500 and I'm looking for:
  • used guitar with case. 2000 model year and up
  • double locking trem that is stable and stays in tune
  • H-S-H configuration
  • low action with minimal buzzing
  • a well balanced guitar that is great for fast playing as well as sustained practice sessions (alt. picking scales, legato scales, etc)
What are your recommendations?

Thanks,

djem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 01:42 PM

Reviews: 17
Re: Ibanez recommendations please.........

Sounds like you want a used RG1570 Prestige
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 01:51 PM

Agreed about a RG1570, the Edge Pro is a nice solid trem. Maybe not an Edge or Lo-Pro but still solid and stable.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 01:55 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Used 550, 570, or 770.

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 02:24 PM

I am not familiar with current RG stats, unfortunately. However, I would highly recommend giving a second look to older RGs like Alaska said. A vintage (late 80s) RG550,560 etc are phenomenal instruments. The original wizard neck is by far the thinnest and fastest neck on the planet. It's like playing with butter. (just not as wet and oily) The feel is so organic that it's like an extension of your arm or any other appendage. The best thing is that one in cherry condition could be had for the amount that you are looking to spend. Good luck and post some pics of the one you eventually get.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mungojerrie View Post
I am not familiar with current RG stats, unfortunately. However, I would highly recommend giving a second look to older RGs like Alaska said. A vintage (late 80s) RG550,560 etc are phenomenal instruments. The original wizard neck is by far the thinnest and fastest neck on the planet. It's like playing with butter. (just not as wet and oily) The feel is so organic that it's like an extension of your arm or any other appendage. The best thing is that one in cherry condition could be had for the amount that you are looking to spend. Good luck and post some pics of the one you eventually get.

Because of all the scammers out there, how do you go about identifying late 80's/early 90's RG550, 560's? Sorry if this may seem to be a stupid question, but I honestly have no clue.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 03:25 PM

I believe serial numbers would tell you. Also make sure for the love of all that's holy that it says Made In Japan! I think it's behind the headstock. Not sure, I'd have to check out my bro's 560.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mungojerrie View Post
I believe serial numbers would tell you. Also make sure for the love of all that's holy that it says Made In Japan! I think it's behind the headstock. Not sure, I'd have to check out my bro's 560.
Dude, your enthusiasm is getting way ahead of your knowledge and you're posting poor information in many threads now (like the DY Jem).

A late 80s/early 90s model is going to have the block heel and there will be no made in Japan on the headstock. You're misleading people and if you don't know you are right, you should stop it.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

For example. This guy claims the guitar to be a RG550. Is it? the S/N is F9710361 with JAPAN below. So it looks to be 1997 MIJ model, 361 guitar built in February. How do I know it is a RG550 though?

Here are some pics:

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Dave View Post
Dude, your enthusiasm is getting way ahead of your knowledge and you're posting poor information in many threads now (like the DY Jem).

A late 80s/early 90s model is going to have the block heel and there will be no made in Japan on the headstock. You're misleading people and if you don't know you are right, you should stop it.

I'm extremely sorry Mr. Dave. You are right, I am entirely full of crap. Bye.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djem View Post
For example. This guy claims the guitar to be a RG550. Is it? the S/N is F9710361 with JAPAN below. So it looks to be 1997 MIJ model, 361 guitar built in February. How do I know it is a RG550 though?

Here are some pics:

that's got rg550 written all over it. That's the first reissue series. They were reissued again in limited in 2007.

serial number is 1997, February number 361 guitar built.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 05:17 PM

Heres the wiki you can use to check it's specs. Everything matches

http://ibanez.wikia.com/wiki/RG550_%281997-2002%29
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 05:26 PM

Go for a 550/570.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 05:34 PM

My first thought was the 550 series also but he mentioned 2000 year and up. I can vouch that the reissues are awesome guitars if you are looking for an updated version of a classic. I say updated due to the newer neck style.

They have reissued the RG550 and the RG770. Both great guitars but both are block heels also. The 1570's and such are AANJ (all access neck joint)
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 07:18 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Dave View Post

...and you should just stop pissing on people's posts--that's all you've been doing for a day or so. If you don't have anything to contribute, Mr. Mini-moderator wannabe, then move along...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode