Ibanez RG-1527 vs. Schecter C-7 Blackjack - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 02:31 AM Thread Starter

Ibanez RG-1527 vs. Schecter C-7 Blackjack

Hi, I'm new
But anyway, I'm looking for new (my 1st) 7-stringer and narrowed the option to 2 guitars, 1527 or C-7. Now I would really appreciate if someone would comment these two (pros and cons), I have tested RG-1527 but haven't tried C-7 out yet because there's none in my country yet (Finland) :/. And further more, would it be reasonable to spare ~400euros more and change the RG1527 to K7 (which I think is bit overpriced..) ?
If I end up buying the RG1527, I would change the stock to DiMarzios and that would ofcourse bring the price up. The C-7 has mahogany body, Seymour Duncan pickups, setneck, no floyd (which is great IMO if you wanna change te tuning often). That said, please add your comments,
Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 09:08 AM

The Schecter, hands down. Unless you want a trem, then I'd try to find a used UV or RG-7620 (just cuz it's cheaper and they're great). But if you don't mind the hardtail, go for the Schecter, you'll definitely appreciate the extra scale length, and I've heard the combination of woods and pickups in it are amazing.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 10:22 AM

Hmmm... both seem nice. I'm an Ibanez 7 user, and I love mine, that being said...

I'd go with the C-7. The extended scale length will be SO nice. Floyd trems are the bomb, and fun, but a LOT of hassle. Unless you're really used to 'em, like me, or you're Steve Vai Part Deux, a fixed bridge is MUCH easier to maintain. Plus, the sound is better. And stock Ibanez pups vs. Duncans? Man, those pickups (JB-7/'59-7) ROCK in mahogany. My favorite all-time pickup combination. Plus, while I like Ibanez body styles, I think the C-7 looks fantastic. Plus, you could do what I want to do, which is install a Graphtech Ghost piezo system in the C-7. Couldn't do that on a Floyd trem (According to Jim Soloway, this is a difficult task. He knows lots about this sort of thing. But according to Tone-Pros and Graphtech, it shouldn't be that difficult. The jury is still out, as I'm awaiting a reply from Schecter. Regardless of difficulty, it still should be POSSIBLE, and that's what keeps me interested in the C-7).

Final vote... C-7 Blackjack. Looks like it's gonna be a nice guitar.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 12:21 PM

Given the scale length of the C-7, a much better comparison would be with the Ibanez 7421XL (which I believe has been discontinued). I've owned a bunch of Schecters and I owned a 7421XL. I liked all of them, but I considered the 7421XL to be a higher quality instrument. The greatest benefit of the C7 is probably that you can get one fairly easily whereas you'll have to hunt for a 7421XL.

BTW, expect to replace the pickups in any of the guitars mentioned so far.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordwolf
Hmmm... both seem nice. I'm an Ibanez 7 user, and I love mine, that being said...

I'd go with the C-7. The extended scale length will be SO nice. Floyd trems are the bomb, and fun, but a LOT of hassle. Unless you're really used to 'em, like me, or you're Steve Vai Part Deux, a fixed bridge is MUCH easier to maintain. Plus, the sound is better. And stock Ibanez pups vs. Duncans? Man, those pickups (JB-7/'59-7) ROCK in mahogany. My favorite all-time pickup combination. Plus, while I like Ibanez body styles, I think the C-7 looks fantastic. Plus, you could do what I want to do, which is install a Graphtech Ghost piezo system in the C-7. Couldn't do that on a Floyd trem (According to Jim Soloway, this is a difficult task. He knows lots about this sort of thing. But according to Tone-Pros and Graphtech, it shouldn't be that difficult. The jury is still out, as I'm awaiting a reply from Schecter. Regardless of difficulty, it still should be POSSIBLE, and that's what keeps me interested in the C-7).

Final vote... C-7 Blackjack. Looks like it's gonna be a nice guitar.
WW, do you want to give it a try. I have all the Graphtech 7-string parts (including the hexpander) sitting here doing nothing and I'd gladly sell them to you for below my cost. Let me know and I can e-mail you all sorts of photos.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
Not necessarily. The C-7 Blackjack comes with genuine Duncans, not the "Duncan Designed" imports.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren wilson
Quote:
Not necessarily. The C-7 Blackjack comes with genuine Duncans, not the "Duncan Designed" imports.
I didn't realize that. That coud make a huge difference.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren wilson
Quote:
Right. As in my post above, it comes with a Seymour Duncan '59-7 in the neck and a JB-7 in the bridge. Darren can attest, those pickups are exceptional, and certainly wouldn't need exchanged (Unless for some strange reason you hate the sound of them, but I can't really imagine that, they're that good).

I played a Schecter (6-string) with those same pickups in it before, and absolutely loved it. It had one of the nicest sounds I've ever heard on a guitar. Nice guitar, too. And like the Blackjack, it wasn't that expensive.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Allright...

Hi everyone, and thank you for your answers. As for going for new/used RG7620, the store had both 1527 and 7620 and the 7620 cost 150 euros more :/. So i'll take my chances and pre-order C-7 on monday I tried out the Omen-7 from Schecter, bolt on neck, Duncan design pups and so on, as far as playing it, it feels great, but the pups are rubbish. If the C-7 plays anywhere near as good as the Omen-7, I'll be more than happy The sales person gave me an estimate of 850 euros, but have to see if I can get that little bit lower or a case thrown in to the deal..
Again thank you all, and please, if you have more comments on this, feel free to send it
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 10:52 PM

Sounds like you'll be satisfied with the C-7 Blackjack if you've played and enjoyed a Schecter before. I have a Revenger-7, the cheapest 7-string they made, and even it feels great considering (needs new pickups and the body's a little too pointy to be comfortable, but a great deal none the less )
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2004, 03:32 AM

this, pretty much as well as any instrument decision you make, is based on what you'll need it for. If it's that extra punch in the low end that a 7-string offers and you plan on doing mostly power chords or cool riffs and stuff, by all means a hardtail. I personally would go with the 1527 because the neck is a Wizard-7 as opposed to the thick neck that most Shecters have. Don't get me wrong, I totally have a crush on my C-1+ but for a 7-string I think I'd go with the Ibanez floyd and thinner neck.

Tags
darren wilson , duncan designed , duncan pickups , fixed bridge , floyd trem , mahogany body , pickup combination , piezo system , seymour duncan , seymour duncan pickups , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode