Ibanez RG 2550 Z GK... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 03:16 AM Thread Starter

Ibanez RG 2550 Z GK...

Hi Everyone,

I have a Ibanez RG 2550 Z GK, I m thinking of selling it beacause I don` t like sound form this guitar. It` s like from behind the wall. But i have idea ( I won` t be orginal) maybe change of picups will help? What do you think about it its worth of money? Next thing is what brand and type of picups will be the best for this guitar especially in this guitar and playing 80` s hard rock?

Btw. I have other guitar Ibanez RG 570 with Seymour Duncan Dp 192, Dp 193 and single coil APS-II Alnico SD and this set sound good and heavy but I woud like to test maybe some Dimarzio Evolution?

Thanks for help

Regards

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 03:45 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98
Re: Ibanez RG 2550 Z GK...

Post this in the correct section, read this sticky and answer the questions so we can help:

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f35/be...ps-109555.html

That said--DiMarzio Super D bridge and PAF Pro neck or Dominions.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 04:32 AM Thread Starter

Sory for broke the rulez :-)
Sory if I wrote something incorect I am a Foreigner :-)

1. I like different type of music jazz, drum and bass etc. but I love hard and heavy, AOR, `80 s. Whitesnake, Iron Maiden, Dio, Giant, Danger Danger, Accept, Guardian, Lion, Harem Scarem etc. Guitarists - Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Steve ray Vaughan, Reb Beach, Doug Aldrich, Andy Timmons, Guthrie Govan and much more.

2. I have a JCM 900 Dual Reverb 100 W and Rocktron 60 W with POD 2.0. for excersises but in the future I woud like to buy a Peavey 5150 or Messa Boogie Triplle Recifter.
3. Ibanez RG 2550 Z GK - Basswood Body, 24 Jumbo Frets, Full Shark Inlays, Edge Zero Tremolo, 1x Di Marzio/IBZ-N Neck humbucker 1x DiMarzio/IBZ-S Single coil Middle and 1x Di MArzio/IBZ-B Bridge Humbucker, with mirror Pickguard.
A. Trem - Edge Zero
B. Rosewood board
C. 24
D. 5 way selector guitar and 2 potentiometer.
E. Basswood
F. Pickups are in a pickguard
THESE THINGS DO MAKE A DIFFERENCE!!!!!

Other important factors
1. I dont like sound of my Ibanez stock picups. They are to dark, sandy and muddy. I have my sound style but in that set I can `t get it in 100%.

2. I`m inexperienced in matching the picups. I don` t look any particular brand fo example Steve Vai plays DiMarzio Evo but I`m looking for a concrete sound. I have a Seymour Duncan Dp 192, Dp 193 and single coil APS-II Alnico SD in the other Ibanez RG 570 and I like them, but I don t want to have the same set in two guitars. I m searching for advice on this forum You are Pro.

3. Guitar is in great condition without any problems with that type.

Thanks for help and sory for
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 05:12 AM
Banned

Based on that info--the pickups I mentioned will suit you perfectly!

You didn't break any rules--I just wanted to point out the proper section so you get more exposure. If you post this in the pickups and wiring section--more people may see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whu22 View Post
Sory for broke the rulez :-)
Sory if I wrote something incorect I am a Foreigner :-)

1. I like different type of music jazz, drum and bass etc. but I love hard and heavy, AOR, `80 s. Whitesnake, Iron Maiden, Dio, Giant, Danger Danger, Accept, Guardian, Lion, Harem Scarem etc. Guitarists - Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Steve ray Vaughan, Reb Beach, Doug Aldrich, Andy Timmons, Guthrie Govan and much more.

2. I have a JCM 900 Dual Reverb 100 W and Rocktron 60 W with POD 2.0. for excersises but in the future I woud like to buy a Peavey 5150 or Messa Boogie Triplle Recifter.
3. Ibanez RG 2550 Z GK - Basswood Body, 24 Jumbo Frets, Full Shark Inlays, Edge Zero Tremolo, 1x Di Marzio/IBZ-N Neck humbucker 1x DiMarzio/IBZ-S Single coil Middle and 1x Di MArzio/IBZ-B Bridge Humbucker, with mirror Pickguard.
A. Trem - Edge Zero
B. Rosewood board
C. 24
D. 5 way selector guitar and 2 potentiometer.
E. Basswood
F. Pickups are in a pickguard
THESE THINGS DO MAKE A DIFFERENCE!!!!!

Other important factors
1. I dont like sound of my Ibanez stock picups. They are to dark, sandy and muddy. I have my sound style but in that set I can `t get it in 100%.

2. I`m inexperienced in matching the picups. I don` t look any particular brand fo example Steve Vai plays DiMarzio Evo but I`m looking for a concrete sound. I have a Seymour Duncan Dp 192, Dp 193 and single coil APS-II Alnico SD in the other Ibanez RG 570 and I like them, but I don t want to have the same set in two guitars. I m searching for advice on this forum You are Pro.

3. Guitar is in great condition without any problems with that type.

Thanks for help and sory for

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Ok thanks for help but what is your advice for a singiel between humbuckers? I use it often.
Do you think It`s worth a money to change picups? I mean my Ibanez will get a new life and much better sound? I know that guitar sound depend also form technique etc.

Thanks

Paul
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 12:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Ok thanks for help but what is your advice for a singiel between humbuckers? I use it often.
Do you think It`s worth a money to change picups? I mean my Ibanez will get a new life and much better sound? I know that guitar sound depend also form technique etc.

Thanks

Paul
I like the HS-3, Fast Track, Fast Track 2 and even a Chopper in the middle.
No--changing pickups is not a waste of money! By changing them out, you just gave your guitar new life and a custom sound you'll be happy with.
I always change out stock pickups for DiMarzios.

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 04:48 PM

Reviews: 2

Thanks for checking out the sticky Whu.........it really helps us help you!!!

A little information for you:

Your Dp192 is a DiMarzio "Air Zone". It's very much like a ToneZone with lower output. It also benefits from DiMarzio's "Air" technology which means less string pull (better sustain)

Your DP193 is a DiMarzio "Air Norton". It probably the most prefered neck pickup in Ibanez guitars.....It's also a moderate output pickup.

I really like AlaskaBat's suggestions, but I think it would help to know if you want to move up to high output pickups or stay with medium output?? High output pickups can get "muddy/messy" if you use a lot of pre-amp gain (which, with your head and FX......there's a lot of gain available) You , of course, can always adjust you pre-amp and FX for the higher output pups........we all do and they can sound incredible!!!!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 03:12 AM Thread Starter

No, no I thank You for help.

I m really "green" in picups. My knowledge is theoretical not practical so that`s why I asked Pro`s from this forum.

Let` s do the bussines. I like test a new gear by myself not using youtube. That is sometimes a problem beacuse a spent my "hard working money" and after that come out that I don` t like the sound. I bought Jcm 900 and after two years I think It` s to sandy for me. This same I have with my Ibanez RG 2550 Z. I know It s` stupid but In my city I don`t have a hight quality guitar shop. What` s more my friends use a hard core 8 - strings "axes" plug in to bulldozer. Not my world.

About my sound preferences. I like selective, a litlle bit dark and fat, with medium sustain. Maybe my explanation will be better If I post some links.

I like Reb Beach sound http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWGQWu6mSWM and I Love Andy Timmons http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaVVZYOvMFY
and Steelheart http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrnQYW7zi9I

And my Ibanez RG 570 sounds very close for Pauls`s PGM and I like it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iWKz...eature=related

Now about picups It` s hard to me to decided if i heard a few. I ` dont like dirty noise and muddy. I often use a 75% o gain so I think I prefer medium output. I` m not a "control demolished".

I must admit that I am skeptical about new life of my Ibanez RG 2550 after changing the picups. How says a poster form "X files" I want to belive :-).

Sory for my english, sometimes It` s hard to explain all.

Thanks and regarts

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
Thanks for checking out the sticky Whu.........it really helps us help you!!!

A little information for you:

Your Dp192 is a DiMarzio "Air Zone". It's very much like a ToneZone with lower output. It also benefits from DiMarzio's "Air" technology which means less string pull (better sustain)

Your DP193 is a DiMarzio "Air Norton". It probably the most prefered neck pickup in Ibanez guitars.....It's also a moderate output pickup.

I really like AlaskaBat's suggestions, but I think it would help to know if you want to move up to high output pickups or stay with medium output?? High output pickups can get "muddy/messy" if you use a lot of pre-amp gain (which, with your head and FX......there's a lot of gain available) You , of course, can always adjust you pre-amp and FX for the higher output pups........we all do and they can sound incredible!!!!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 03:45 AM
Banned

Bud, I'm tellin' you--I think a Super D and PAF Pro would be perfect for what you're describing. You may even like the Breed set.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 05:35 AM

Yeah a Super distortion all the way, it is designed for you man. (and for these kind of styles you mentioned)!
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for All of You for all of Advices.

Now I` m thinking about economic part of this business. Maybe It`s beter to sell my Ibanez RG 2550 Z and add money with I woud spend for a new picups and after that buy a higher model for example RG 3120, RG 2820 or RG 2120.

Regards

Paul
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 04:18 PM

I have to agree with AlaskaBat as well...........The Super Distortion/Paf combo is perfect for what your looking for, especially considering that you don't run your gain at 100%.

I certainly wouldn't get rid of your 2550......they're amazing guitars with the right pickups. If you need proof, just listen to our very own Dimitar on his 2550:

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f25/di...ck-120712.html
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 09:54 PM

try super distortion dimarzio on the bridge and Breed on the neck...for basswood body configuration....
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for advices.

If I decide to leave my Ibanez I will buy this set Super D, PAF Pro and some fender sound in the middle. RGTFanatic thanks for a proof. Dimitar recorded it using Dimarzio/Ibanez factory picups or diffrent set?

BTW. Maybe It`s stupid for somebody from this forum but In my humbly opinion I think Ibanez produced better guitars in `90 than now I mean better wood etc.. What`s more prices was adequate to quality. Nowadays You pay a lot of money for lower quality. For this money Prestige serie shoud be equip in orginal Dimarzio`s. Now I woudn`t buy a new Ibanez form a shop but only form second hand.

Despite this I love Ibanez guitar`s and I won` t change them for other brand maybe only for suhr or some really good Charvel :-).

Regards

Paul
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Thanks for advices.

If I decide to leave my Ibanez I will buy this set Super D, PAF Pro and some fender sound in the middle. RGTFanatic thanks for a proof. Dimitar recorded it using Dimarzio/Ibanez factory picups or diffrent set?

BTW. Maybe It`s stupid for somebody from this forum but In my humbly opinion I think Ibanez produced better guitars in `90 than now I mean better wood etc.. What`s more prices was adequate to quality. Nowadays You pay a lot of money for lower quality. For this money Prestige serie shoud be equip in orginal Dimarzio`s. Now I woudn`t buy a new Ibanez form a shop but only form second hand.

Despite this I love Ibanez guitar`s and I won` t change them for other brand maybe only for suhr or some really good Charvel :-).

Regards

Paul
Dimi uses Paf Pro's in both the neck and bridge
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJCGBlMi0CE&feature=plcp

You should also check out his website:
http://www.nalbantov.com/

And his Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/diminalbantov?feature=watch

Tags
2550 , 570 , ibanez , picups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode