Ibanez rg 3120 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Ibanez rg 3120

Hello! I just bought an ibanez rg3120 in e-bay and i still have to receive it. Actually i realized i don't know much on this model and in general in rg3XXX. this one has been modified w/ pafPro @ neck and a ToneZone @ bridge. Does anyone has feedbacks from this guitar, comments on woods, finishes, opinions on the choice of pickups? I read many discording opinions on the ToneZone. Some people say it's wonderful, other it sucks badly. where's truth? i think 3120 has a LoPro bridge... is it different from Edge Pro? (yep.. i'm a bit ignorant
Thanks a lot!! !!

ps. Mine has red flame maple. are there different models according to the finishes? :P

PPS. last one! I got it for 600 euros. it's all right except for a few small small chips. Is it a nice price? Thanks a lotta, again! Bye<
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 01:54 PM

Re: Ibanez rg 3120

Tone Zone/PAF Pro are the stock pickups in your guitar, it wasn't modified. You'll love the 3120, it's awesome! There is also a twilight blue version. The current models with Edge Pro have different color options now, one being natural.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 03:20 PM

I have a 3120, awesome guitar, maybe the best sounding guitar of all my RGs, I think you will like it. (However, I'm not sure the variance in sound between my mahogany bodied RGs is greater than the variance between individual 3120s, and the variance isn't so great that my preference doesn't change from time to time.)

BTW, my 3120, which I bought new (in 2000, iirc), is kind of like a TW, but not so blue. It's a kind of weird gray color, but under incandescent lights, it has a tinge of violet to it. This violet disappears under flourescent lights, or sunlight. I've verified the violet tinge is not my imagination by asking a friend what color the guitar was under incandescant lights and without prompting he said, "kind of purpley." Then I took it into the kitchen and asked him, ok, what color is it now? "gray."

What do I have? Is it a 3120TW? Or something else? I've definitely seen TW's that were much more blue than mine. I've seen two others like mine, one was in LA in 2000 in the guitar center on Sunset, and there was a 2nd one like mine i where I bought mine, (GC on Westheimer, in Houston). Those are the only other two like mine I've seen. Someone told me they only made 12 that color, but I'm not sure that was from a knowledgeable source. (The fact that the GC on westheimer had two of them makes me doubt it, for starters.)

As far as the ToneZone, nobody can say in absolute terms if it sucks of if it's great, that is subjective. If you love it, then it's great, if you hate it, then it sucks. You'll just have to try it out. Lucky you!
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 07:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTB007
Tone Zone/PAF Pro are the stock pickups in your guitar, it wasn't modified.
I ve checked on the ibanez site. under the 3120F (what's the F for?) it states stock pickups are the diMarzio Ibanez... was it different in the old 3120 version? actually does anyone know what did they change?
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 08:28 AM

The old ones had a Lo Pro trem, and TZ / Paf Pro combo, then they discontinued the 3120 altogether, and now they reintroduced the model, with the new Edge Pro trem and Dimarzio IBZ pickups

The 3120 was already a Prestige model, so the neck was already as sweet as f*ck... new ones should have the two dark stripes and Team J Craft logo... not sure if the profile was altered, tho

Anyway, congrats man, i had one for about 6 months, loved it
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marianozz
The old ones had a Lo Pro trem
What's the difference btw a Lo-Pro and the Edge Pro? How's Lo-Pro compared with edge II and III? ? :P
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-14-2005, 09:53 AM

The original Edge, and Lo Pro Edge trems are the best trems out there, their quality has been proven for almost 20 years, and they always came with locking studs (in the trem posts)

The Edge Pro is the new "good" trem from Ibanez, its got an even lower profile than the Lo Pro, but it lacks locking studs from the factory (easy mod)... Opinions on it are varied, but most people still like the old trems better (i particularly love the original Edge)

Then you have the Edge Pro 2 and 3, which are the korean variations found on cheaper guitars...

Anyway, check out the tech section here at Jemsite for info and pics of all the trems
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 12:41 PM

can the edge pro be fitted to my rg 3120 prestige 2001 model? sorry..this may sound stupid..but i need to be sure before buying one...the reason is..i broke one of the locking screws on my lo pro bridge...and they told me its not in production anymore...but it seems that the edge pro is a new replacement for it...or only for the rg3120F? Please help..thanks
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG 1402 View Post
can the edge pro be fitted to my rg 3120 prestige 2001 model? sorry..this may sound stupid..but i need to be sure before buying one...the reason is..i broke one of the locking screws on my lo pro bridge...and they told me its not in production anymore...but it seems that the edge pro is a new replacement for it...or only for the rg3120F? Please help..thanks
The info below was originally posted by Jemsite member Nuno so you can go by this:

on IBANEZ EDGE-III cavity:

Ibanez Edge into Edge-III cavity: NO

Ibanez Lo-Pro Edge into Edge-III cavity: NO

Ibanez Edge-Pro into Edge-III cavity: YES

Original Floyd Rose into Edge-III cavity: YES

Schaller Floyd Rose into Edge-III cavity: NO

on IBANEZ EDGE/LoPro EDGE cavity:

Original Floyd Rose into Ibanez Edge/LoPro Edge cavity: YES

Ibanez Edge-Pro into Ibanez Edge/LoPro Edge cavity: YES

on IBANEZ EDGE-PRO/EDGE-PRO II cavity:

Ibanez Edge into Ibanez Edge-Pro/Edge-Pro II cavity: NO

Ibanez Lo-Pro Edge into Ibanez Edge-Pro/Edge-Pro II cavity: NO

Original Floyd Rose into Ibanez Edge-Pro/Edge-Pro II cavity: YES

Schaller Floyd Rose into Ibanez Edge-Pro/Edge-Pro II cavity: NO

on Original FLOYD ROSE cavity:

Ibanez Edge into Original Floyd Rose cavity: YES

Ibanez Lo-Pro Edge into Original Floyd Rose cavity: YES

the TRS/LoTRS/LoTRS-II cavities are not covered as ANY Floyd licensed trem (except maybe Kahler Floyds) can be easily installed in those, no works needed.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 01:19 PM

Thanks a lot ibanez daemon...this is truly a good news for me...cant imagine myself not playing my RG3120 anymore...now i can...
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Thanks a lot ibanez daemon...this is truly a good news for me...cant imagine myself not playing my RG3120 anymore...now i can...
No worries dude. Thanks should go to Nuno not me. That info he gave should be stickied imo. Good luck with your guitar!!!
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 01:33 PM

Thanks and to you too Nuno for the info...cheers..
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 04:12 PM

Reviews: 120

You should be able to buy a replacement screw. Parts are still available. I'm pretty sure some generic ones will work too.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 05:48 PM

Reviews: 11

Quote:
you can get a lo-pro brand new from rich. but i dont think he has that weird violetish chrome color so you'd have to get regular chrome to match the rest. not that it matters, you couldnt really see the purple anyway. wait.......was that on the rg3120 ot just the rgT3120? because i know the RGT does. well whether it does or not, you can still get lo-pro's brand new

CORRECTION!! he DOES have it! 1 left in stock. so if you have the violet chrome, buy it from him. no sense in downgrading right?

Last edited by D.M.RG7620; 02-14-2011 at 06:06 PM.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
You should be able to buy a replacement screw. Parts are still available. I'm pretty sure some generic ones will work too.
thats the problem..they dont have it here and they couldnt even find a lo pro edge for me..they said that its not available anymore...so i dont have much option...but they said that an edge pro is still good..and..who's rich btw...sorry..i'm new here..

Tags
dimarzio ibz , edge pro trem , edge trem , edge trems , flame maple , locking stud , locking studs , paf pro , paf pro combo , pro combo , pro edge , pro edge trem , pro edge trems , sounding guitar , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode