ibanez rg 470 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 01:32 AM Thread Starter

Wink ibanez rg 470

hi everyone...newbie heremy first post herecant find the introduction section here..so hi im psycolstel

ok,i am planning to buy the rg 470.but i found that the edrge 2 trem with zp3fe is not good,after reading many reviews.so if any of u have used or played a rg 470 please share your experience.i was lookin for a 500 -600 USD guitar and then saw the rg 470 mahagony oil colour which i like the colour.ill use this guitar for playing some metal,classic rock and steve vai.jeff beck etc{will need th change the pickups}

regards

psycoldstel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 01:55 AM

Re: ibanez rg 470

Hi, welcome. What country are you in? You should be able to find a 500 series for a few hundred less, but I hear the trem has improved on the new 300/400 series. Also, the early 470 featured an Edge just like the 500's.

Last edited by axel_f; 07-01-2012 at 02:02 AM.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 02:08 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycoldstel View Post
hi everyone...newbie heremy first post herecant find the introduction section here..so hi im psycolstel

ok,i am planning to buy the rg 470.but i found that the edrge 2 trem with zp3fe is not good,after reading many reviews.so if any of u have used or played a rg 470 please share your experience.i was lookin for a 500 -600 USD guitar and then saw the rg 470 mahagony oil colour which i like the colour.ill use this guitar for playing some metal,classic rock and steve vai.jeff beck etc{will need th change the pickups}

regards

psycoldstel
Introduction thread is at the top of the forum:
http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f11/ne...tml#post350052

Don't know where you've been reading about people not liking the Edge Zero II--you may be mistaking this for the Edge Pro II or LoTRS II.

If you update your profile with your location, we can help you find a better guitar for that kind of money--there are plenty!

Also--you don't need to post an emoticon after each sentence--we get the point.

Now--welcome aboard!

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 02:38 AM Thread Starter

Sorry for the confusion.im from India and the guitars here are costly ie most of em cost 100 to 200 USD more.im looking at this one
bajaao.com/shop/5-guitars/6-electric-guitars/8101-ibanez-rg470mhz-rg-series-electric-guitar.html?keyword=cosm

i'd loue to get the prestige rg 1570 but theyre out of my budget and cant find a rg 570 and cant buy a used one.other sites im open to buy are
saptaswara.in.
furtadosonline(sorry im not allowed to post links!
it d be great if u can suggest a good amp for the guitar(200 USD)thanks
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 02:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Sorry for the confusion.im from India and the guitars here are costly ie most of em cost 100 to 200 USD more.im looking at this one
bajaao.com/shop/5-guitars/6-electric-guitars/8101-ibanez-rg470mhz-rg-series-electric-guitar.html?keyword=cosm

i'd loue to get the prestige rg 1570 but theyre out of my budget and cant find a rg 570 and cant buy a used one.other sites im open to buy are
saptaswara.in.
furtadosonline(sorry im not allowed to post links!
it d be great if u can suggest a good amp for the guitar(200 USD)thanks
Can't suggest anything unless we know what you're looking for. What music style? Tube or solid state? Combo or head?

We have a comparison shopping section with member reviews--start there

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 03:08 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for you reply.im playing for 4 years have a roland 15 watt amp.i play some metal like pantera,metallica,some classic rock,steue uai,jeff beck tracksetc.so it should be an upgrade from my previous amp(so i guess with the 200$ i have to be happy with a solid state combo)what about a peavey vyper 30?
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 03:37 AM
Banned

Some people seem to like the Vypyr series. Although limited, there are still decent amp models in them.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 04:00 AM

Reviews: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
Some people seem to like the Vypyr series. Although limited, there are still decent amp models in them.
+1

This is truly a great age for great gear at affordable prices. My first big ''amp'' ,if you will, was a Peavey Bandit. Solid state amp from Peavey's transtube solid state line. It was a great amp, solid and bullet proof. However, at the time, most of their solid state was still built in the USA. Which is fine, except that the amp cost over 700$ lol. Today's equivalent 60-80 watt 1x12 combo solid states can be found for 399$ and most of the time feature much more sophisticated pre amps will a ton of decent effects. The Line 6 series are a good example of this and, more recently, the Fender Mustang Line. I have played the Vyper as well. It is a bit more basic than the aforementioned amps, but it's got a really nice feel to it. I've always been a big fan of Peavey amps and not because of any affinity , I just felt they make a solid amp and have good products in general.

A good amp is the most important part of your gear. A good guitar played through a ****ty amp will sound ****ty, however a ****ty guitar played through a good amp can sound good. I'd take A squire bullet through a Marshall JVM any day over a Jem through a cheap Behringer amp. (thank god I have the best of both worlds though LOL)
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 06:58 AM Thread Starter

thanks any other suggestions?
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 01:30 PM

Reviews: 2

Hi psycho....welcome to jemsite!!!

I think that you choice of the RG470MHZ is an excellent one. As AlaskaBat stated: reviews for the EZ2 bridge have been excellent since it's release in 2011. Many members here have them on guitars ranging from RG350's to the RG Premiums. In my experience, it's a VERY solid and reliable bridge. It will last you many years.

The RG3xx/4xx guitars remind me of the RG5xx's from the old days. Guitars built for everyday working musicians that NEED a dependable workhorse. An instrument without all the "bells and whistles" at an affordable price. These guitars are as solid as a rock but have areas the Ibanez obviously employed some cost saving measures to keep the price down. Fortunately, none of these areas affect the dependability/stability of the guitar. IMO there are 4 places that these guitars could use some upgrades, but none are a necessity and each depends on the individual player. They are:

1. INF pickups- these are pickups that most players prefer to change. Some people do like them though. I think that these pups would benefit from the "Phantom mod" as they have a ceramic magnet in the neck and an A5 in the bridge. The same as the V7-V8 sets in the RG5xx/15xx guitars.

2. Electronics/switching- This is an area that, IMO, EVERY new Ibanez could use an upgrade (except maybe the J-customs).

3. Hardware- The locking nut and tuners on most new Ibby's in this range are somewhat lower quality than than the Gotoh units in the higher end guitars. They absolutely work well with each other on new guitars, but over time may need some attention.

4. Fretwork/neck finish- This area is completely feel/opinion based. You should NOT make any decisions about buying the guitar based on this area. I've played hundreds of these RG3xx/4xx guitars. Every single one of them would benefit from a decent fret level and dressing, but every one of them was perfectly playable.......I'm just very picky about the way frets feel/work. The finish on these necks (I.E. fretboard feel, inlays, and neck carve) have been all over the map. Some of them felt like they never went through the final finishing process in the factory. Some felt better than my much higher end Ibby's. Most fell in between. This is an area that, with a little time and elbow grease, can be made to fit each player perfectly. Again, this is NOT an area to decide on whether the guitar is a good buy or not.

OVERALL: I truly don't think there's a better buy in the new guitar market then the RG3xx/4xx guitars. You'll get a whole lot of "bang for your buck" without all of the "bells and whistles" of the more expensive Ibbys or comparatively prices competitors models. In fact, (I'm going to get heavily flamed for this) in my opinion, these guitars completely negate the need for the RG15xx series.

Ryc
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 12:11 AM Thread Starter

Wow thats a lot of information for me...thanks rg fanatic
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

ok one last question

RG 470 is available in two types of wood-mahagony and ash ..what should i choose?they say the mahagony has more sustain?
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 01:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
ok one last question

RG 470 is available in two types of wood-mahagony and ash ..what should i choose?they say the mahagony has more sustain?
It's another one of the "preference" things. Yes, mahogany is heavier than most other tone woods and provides better sustain. The downside is finding decent pickups for them--if you ever decide to upgrade to DiMarzios or other brands.
Ash is lighter, but still has considerable sustain and a nice grasp of the tonal spectrum. still get nice lows, sweet mids, and twangy highs.

If it was my choice between the two, I'd go with ash--as long as it was swamp ash.

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 02:09 AM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
It's another one of the "preference" things. Yes, mahogany is heavier than most other tone woods and provides better sustain. The downside is finding decent pickups for them--if you ever decide to upgrade to DiMarzios or other brands.
Ash is lighter, but still has considerable sustain and a nice grasp of the tonal spectrum. still get nice lows, sweet mids, and twangy highs.

If it was my choice between the two, I'd go with ash--as long as it was swamp ash.
+1.....I prefer ash too.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys...youre awesome.....

Tags
ibanez rg 470

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode