Ibanez RG Body with TOM? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2004, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Ibanez RG Body with TOM?

As Ill likely be recieving an RG2020X body for a Refin, I have a question. Im going to have my left over body, and I wanted to make sort of a custom guitar. I want to fit a tune o matic bridge on the RG2020 body. I imagine it will probably be pretty difficult. Why you ask? Because I have the floyd on my current guitar, and I hardly use it anyway. Its currently blocked off, and its more trouble then its worth. The biggest problem I can see is that the body is routed for a floyd. If there is any way of filling this or anythign, Id like to see what you guys think, if its possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2004, 02:27 PM

Fire off an e-mail to LGM Guitars or EKG guitars, (LINKS above) for a quote, For what it's worth i eBayed an RG TOM conversion i did last year and it was'nt THAT hard for me (as an amature) to do, but those guys will do a fantastic job

Rob
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2004, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Well Id rather do it myself, just for personal and financial reasons. Im sorta just wondering if theres any plausible way to fill in the routing for the rose, or if this is just dumb
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2004, 08:56 PM

grab a router and go to town. I did that years ago on a guitar that an aquaintance of mine managed to destroy. I was an old Gibson Explorer. This genious decided to route it out and put in a Floyd. Sounds easy his said... none the less it was all F'd up. And he gave to the garbage can, from which I saved it. I routed out a nice square hole perfectly straight on all edges. The cut a blank to fill it in with alot of wood glue. A little sanding and it was great again,,, had to paint it for obvious reasons. However you could get whacky with it,, and cut some odd shape with exotic wood and make it your own.

~A
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2004, 01:12 AM Thread Starter

Hmm that might work good. I dont really want to do anything super extremely drastic to it, but I just might. Would a TOM have a sufficently high action to clear the neck? Also, how would I know the spacing of where to put the bridge? Another question, what sort of wood should I use for the blank? Should I try and find mahogany, to keep it uniform? Will gluing the blank in hurt the sustain?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 01:00 PM

Re: Ibanez RG Body with TOM?

Did this work out for ya? I know it`s an old post but can anybody shed some light on this? I`m going tune O matic on an old RG.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 01:19 PM

Reviews: 21

Holy thread resurection, Batman!!!
Pretty cool. I'd like to know if it worked too.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 04:08 PM

Well I`m going to do it anyway, going to use a piece of maple. It`s a 1998 rg270dx with a floyd, I got it for 35 bucks so I dont care much about it. I have an rg42dxfm, a wolfgang special w/Dtuna and a UV77MC, all my electric guitars have floyds except for the Artcore Hollow body. It`s time for a simple hard tail. I`ll be using a black roller Tuno O Matic from Ebay.

I`ll try to take pics...

HOLY BATMAN lol!!! That`s an old one!!!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 05:23 PM

The wood part is the easy part, first make shure you've got your mesurements correct.
1) keep in mind that a TOM has a smaller spacing than a floyd.
this can give you a totaly different feeling when playing higher up the neck.
2) make shure the TOM has the right radius otherwise its impossible to get to an even stringheight over al 6 strings.
3) check if the TOM is not to high when mounted. otherwise you have to chance the neck angle, or route the body so the TOM can zink in the body.
(All to get to a good action)

Good luck!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 10:10 AM

Some progress, it`s workin` out for me so far!

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f18/rg...on-118382.html

Tags
custom guitar , ekg guitars , lgm guitars , matic bridge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode