Ibanez RG1527 vs Carvin DC727c (questions) - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Smile Ibanez RG1527 vs Carvin DC727c (questions)

Hello all!

I am in need of a new 7 string guitar. I'm planning on getting either a Carvin DC727c (727 with a licensed floyd rose tremolo) or an Ibanez Prestige 1527.

I'm not sure how these compare as far as quality goes, but I'm hoping that there's maybe someone who has played one or both of these kinds of guitars.

My main issue is the tremolo! I want something that is solid and stays in tune. I use my bar quite aggressively...which means...tuning problems! (on most trems).

I'm also concerned about fret quality (Not sure how well the prestige frets hold up compared to stainless steel frets I would get on the Carvin), and pickup tone (I'd probably swap them out for dimarzios anyway, but nice stock pickups would be a definite plus). I'm aware that the Carvin would require routing on the body to put in new pickups, which also kind of steers me towards the Ibanez.

I'd consider a Universe as well, but I'm after more of a workhorse than a thing of beauty.

Any input/advice/recommendations is greatly appreciated! This guitar will be used for instrumental stuff (shred/neoclassical/etc) as well as fusion, blues, progressive rock, and power metal.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 07:28 PM

Re: Ibanez RG1527 vs Carvin DC727c (questions)

Well, I have owned this since '98 -
www.flothrukeyz.homestead.com/7620.html
I have always had problems with the bridge but still preferred it.
Then I bought this off Rich-
www.flothrukeyz.homestead.com/UV7PWH.html
Definately prefer it. The way he set it up is just mint! I use the bar alot and also on "Cult Of Personaliy" guitar solo and it never goes out of tune.

Carvin 7-strings are gorgeous guitars though I never played one, I could imagine they play sweet.
If it were me, I'd go with the 1527 or a nice clean used 7620 or buy a nice used UV off Rich.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 07:37 PM

Whoa,, that's a tuff call. The carvins are very nice. In my opinion,,, after spending hours in the Carvin ( SanDiego ) showroom I have to say both have there elements. However for me at that time I was into trems. The 1527 with the edge pro just blows away the floyd rose on the Carvin. I can't imagine any other trem for me. I like the profile of the necks better on the Ibanez,,, the Carvin is just a little to Les Paulish for me.

I would love to have a Carvin one day,, it would definitely be a hard tail. But man for trems I am sold on the Edge pro!

The 1527's with that new neck, and awesome trem whoa insane! All you will need to do is put in some new P/u's. Which would be a problem with the Carvin, you would have to do some "carving" on the Carvin. I heard you can wittle away at the pickups,,but what a pain in the ass.....lol. For the price Ibanez is a great deal. I used to play only UV's,,,then I tried the 1527 and I have not looked back. I would love to own a UV again,,but man it feels so nice to have something that isn't "someone elses".

That's my 2 cents!
~A
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 07:43 PM

You don't have to route Carvin's to put in DiMarzios. You may have to do a little work on the mounting tab area of the pickups with a dremel at most. I'm not familiar with the licensed Floyd they use on the sevens, they won't do Floyds on the lefty models for some strange reason.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 08:48 PM

While I never had a 1527, I do have an 8527 and I used to own a Carvin DC727. I don't know how the 8527's neck compares to the 1527 but I assume that they have the same profile.

With regards to the neck, the Carvin neck was beefier and it wasn't as flat on the back as the Ibanez neck - I found the Ibanez more comfortable for me. I wasn't too crazy about the pickups on the Carvin, and though I never changed them, I read up on swapping out the pickups at the Carvin.com forum - like Hobophobic said previously - it appears that the only mod needs to be done on the pickup mounting tabs with a dremel tool. If you wanted to add EMG 7-String pickups, then massive routing would have to be done.

I can't comment on the Carvin tremolo since the guitar I had was a fixed bridge.

I don't know if you have tried yet, but you may want to go the Carvin forum and search and/or ask for feedback on the trem for the DC727/747 guitars. Overall, I would have to say that Carvin guitars are a great instruments at those prices. I know that I'm itchin' for another Carvin model - either a DC747, a carved top CT6, or the Holdsworth HF2 model. Although I feel that they lack options in the pickup department and their electronics aren't the best quality, they are very appealing because of all of the finish options, stainless steel frets and fingerboard wood choices among other choices.

I own a UV777BK and I used to own a UV7BK, and I really liked them both. I wouldn't count out the UV just because it is someone's sig model either - when was the last time anyone saw Steve playing one anyway? There are plenty of used UVs out there that are both things of beauty and workhorses.

I don't know what your price range is, but have you considered other brands like Schecter or EBMM? While I can't speak for Schecter, the EBMM Petrucci 7 string model is a great guitar although finding a used one may be difficult.

Best of luck with your decision.

Regards,
JJG
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 09:13 PM

Flobanez dude that is a sweet white RG! Wanna trade?

~A
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 09:50 PM

Had a carvin....doesn't compare in feel to the ibanez, or the tone either...carvin pups suck, and require routing to replace since the ears are a different dimension and sd's or dimarzio's won't retrofit them...my particular carvin was a bit neckheavy and unbalanced too...
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input thus far!

I think I'm going to pick up an old used UV7BK instead of either one of those guitars.

Will hold it's value nicely and has all the features that I want and it will end up being cheaper for me. Also nicer looking!

Haven't managed to track down an rg1527 that will be cost effective (I'm in Canada and taxes/duty/shipping/etc are killer from some stores.

FYI, my budget is something under $1200 USD.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 10:53 PM

My Carvin ships on the 25th, and I sold an RG1527 to get it. So I'll let you know! I did not get a trem though; that's actually the reason I sold the 1527.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 03:54 AM Thread Starter

Problem solved!

Just bought a UV777BK instead!

Hooray for that certain online auction site!
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 07:24 AM

Carvin doesn't use original floyds on their 7 string?????

Regards

André

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fettouhi
Carvin doesn't use original floyds on their 7 string?????

Regards

André
From what I've heard....no. Just on their 6 strings.

What would be cool is if they did a Wilky/hipshot style trem on them, and added the Fishman electronics.

It'd give a lower priced alternative to the EBMM JPM.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Garrow
Flobanez dude that is a sweet white RG! Wanna trade?

~A
What do ya got? Just kidding.
With all due respect, Allen. I 've had it for 7 years and it was my first 7.
Never going to get rid of it. It's anniversary is coming up. Think I'll polish her.
Thanks for your compliment.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 12:59 PM

Well, you've already bought your guitar (Congrats!) but the Carvin is a nice guitar. As has been said before, it's easy enough to replace the pickups on a Carvin. They do have thicker necks and licensed Floyds, which work well. I use the trem a bit, but I don't go berserk with it, and it works like a charm. The Ibanezes are better, I think, for shredding. Both guitars are fine for almost all kinds of guitar work and musical styles, though the Ibanez might be better to beat up. If you were going to play more jazz I might suggest the Carvin. You really can't lose with either, but for whammy bashing and shredding the Ibanez is the better suited instrument.
My Carvin pics: http://jim777.com/images/727/

jim
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 01:01 PM

Techtrax, Congratulations on that UV777BK
You'll enjoy it. UV all the way.

Tags
carvin guitars , ebmm jpm , ebmm petrucci , fingerboard wood , fixed bridge , floyd rose , floyd rose trem , floyd rose tremolo , gold trem , ibanez neck , les paul , monkey grip , stainless steel frets , steel frets , string pickup , string pickups , thicker necks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode