Ibanez RG1570-Dimarzio pickups, need advice - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

Ibanez RG1570-Dimarzio pickups, need advice

I recently installed a Dimarzio Evolution and PAF Joe (bridge/neck) into my RG1570MRB, and I'm really digging the Evo. Not as much diggin the PAF Joe, I was hoping it would be slightly hotter. I'm going for something I can shred some sweeps with, but get a good bluesy tone out of too.

I'm considering a Breed or Air Norton to replace it. Anybody have any experience with these in similar guitars (I'm running thru a 5150)?

Also, I really like the Evolution, but am considering trying an X2N. My bridge pickup is my main pickup, and I play extreme metal (death/grind/southern/thrash) so I need really chunky but tight lows. The Evo is tight, but not as chunky. Overall it still has great tone, but I was considering an X2N because it's Dimarzios hottest pickup and the late great Chuck Schuldiner used them. I love his tone.

I previously had a Duncan Invader in the bridge, and for some reason the Dimarzios seem to 'sing' a lot more on leads. I'm getting the idea that this is because a lot of Dimarzios are specifically designed for Ibanez style guitars? Are Dimarzios more often than not the way to go with Ibanez? I removed the Invader because I had to raise the trem due to the large pole pieces, and it never quite stayed in tune as well since.

I'm trying to avoid EMGs because I find that the passives tend to be a lot more expressive in the lead department. I'm trying to find something with as good metal rhythm tone as the EMGs though.

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited by Hunter; 02-02-2006 at 12:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 12:34 AM

Re: Ibanez RG1570-Dimarzio pickups, need advice

Breeds. Thats what im puting in my 1570 mrr
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 01:13 AM

I just got a PAF Joe and a D-Sonic to put in my S470DX. I've never tried the PAF Joe, so I'm interested to see how good it sounds (as well as the D-Sonic). I got the D-Sonic because my band plays in Drop C (C-G-C-F-A-D) and I wanted a pickup that would accentuate the low rhythms yet still sound good when I'm soloing. The bridge pickup is my main pickup as well, but I like split tones for my clean tone and the neck pickup for some clean tones and lead work.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 01:24 AM

I just put an Air Norton/Tone Zone combo in my 1570. The Air Norton is GREAT for sweep picking and fast runs. The sound could be described as being "tube like" and "liquidy." It's also a wonderful clean pickup. The Tone Zone is nice, but I'm thinking it has a little too much bass. I'm wondering what an Evo and/or Steve's Special would be like.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 01:25 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, I also play in drop C. My style is ranges from southern metal (Pantera/Down) to grind (The Red Chord) to thrash (Metallica/Megadeth/Slayer) to death (Death, Nile). In my bridge pickup, I'm looking for a really tight rhythm tone with balls, kind of akin to Dime's tone circa Far Beyond Driven. But I need my neck pickup to be real smooth and great for arpeggios and fast runs, but also expressive enough for blues and bends.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 01:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code001
I just put an Air Norton/Tone Zone combo in my 1570. The Air Norton is GREAT for sweep picking and fast runs. The sound could be described as being "tube like" and "liquidy." It's also a wonderful clean pickup. The Tone Zone is nice, but I'm thinking it has a little too much bass. I'm wondering what an Evo and/or Steve's Special would be like.
The Air Norton sounds a lot like what I'm looking for...

I only have experience with the Evo. I always steered clear of the Tone Zone because of the high bass as well. The Evo doesn't have that problem. It's pretty tight on the low end, and pretty awesome for leads. The harmonics are amazing as well. I like it a lot but kinda wish it had a little more low end chunk to go with the tightness, you know? Maybe I'll just need to tweak my amp settings a bit.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 01:50 AM

For the neck pickup, an Evo is great too.

My favorite combination at the moment is Bridge Evo2 - Middle Blue Velvet - Neck Evo. Very versatile and the Evo2 has more chunk than Evo.

I like Breeds too, its got a really nice classic humbucker tone in the bridge, but gets a bit muddy in the neck. I would say avoid matching it with your Evo bridge.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter
I like it a lot but kinda wish it had a little more low end chunk to go with the tightness, you know? Maybe I'll just need to tweak my amp settings a bit.
That right there is what I'm afraid of as well. None of my amps have "crushing bass" or anything like that; However, even though I'm a lead player, I need something that'll work well for some nice low end "chunky" rhythm, yet still have plenty of mids to cut through the mix.

I'm worried about the Steve's Special because it doesn't focus on a small tonal spectrum but the spectrum as a whole. The mids are scooped (which I'm not a huge fan of unless it's for a clean tone or extremely fast picking/sweeping - example the Air Norton) and it's got bass and treble bumped up. The Evo appeals to me a lot due to the huge amount of mids but the low-end riffing aspect might be lost. Evo2 sounds cool but it seems not a lot of people have it and there isn't a ton of info about it actually, let alone sound clips.

So far though, the Tone Zone is suiting me well enough for riffing though. I just wish the bass was dialed down slightly and the treble bumped up a bit. Sorry for the long-winded post BTW. I still recommend the Air Norton for a nice neck pickup. The Evo neck I hear is great too, and as others stated, I wouldn't exactly recommend the Breed neck pickup as it can get muddy. One more thing - I fired up my Mark III today and played the meanest blues tones I've ever gotten with the Air Norton. I couldn't believe how well it responded to that.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 12:27 AM Thread Starter

Anybody else have any advice? I'd kinda like to hear of any expierence with the X2N.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 12:50 AM

shredcow's soundclip site has X2N clips but his guitar body is mahogany s520ex not basswood like your RG1570.

http://music.download.com/Shredcows/...ng_song_artist

i doubt thats any useful information but thats all i can think of about the x2n right now.

Last edited by isida.d; 02-03-2006 at 12:58 AM.

Tags
air norton , amp settings , bridge pickup , chuck schuldiner , clean tone , dimarzio evo , dimarzio evolution , duncan invader , evo bridge , guitar body , neck evo , neck pickup , paf joe , sweep picking , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode