Ibanez RG2550 or Charvel San Dimas?? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Ibanez RG2550 or Charvel San Dimas??

Hey guy's, new to the forum but a long time Ibanez owner. I am thinking of getting one of the Ibanz RG2250's from MF. I have too many guitars tough so was going to get rid of my Charvel San Dimas 1 2H. Everythin else I have is much more expensive and closer to my heart and the San Dimas was the one that seemed most in line with the 2550 (price wise). I want to see if anyone has any thoughts on this move though. I do really like the Charvel and want to make sure I am not making a stupid move. I should also mention thet the Charvel is the slime green color. Thanks for your thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 10:53 AM

Re: Ibanez RG2550 or Charvel San Dimas??

my take on it is keep the san dimas! 2550s will come by pretty often again
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 11:08 AM

They're both nice guitars, but so different it'slike comparing apples to oranges. It would be hard to make a choice between one or the other.

Have you played a 2550 to see if you like the way it sounds/plays more?
Do you like maple or rosewood boards better?
Do you like basswood or alder better?
Do you like Edge Trems or OFRs better?
Do you like H/H config, or HSH better?
Do like 24 fret necks, or 22 fret necks more?
Do you like the longer scale of the Ibanez neck?

The Charvel came with Seymour Duncans, and the Ibanez will come with Dimarzio IBZs, which IMO aren't that great. The San Dimas guitars I've played sound much better to me because of the body wood and the pickups.

FWIW, I've got two of the Charvel SoCals, and I've got a slew of Ibanez RGs with rosewood boards: I'd never get rid of the Charvel for another mid-tier prestige.

I personally think the QC for fit and finish on the USA Charvel line is quite a bit better than most of the Prestige I see today, and personally, the Charvels are just soo much fun to play to me.

In terms of resale value, I also think the Charvel will hold a better resale value longer than the Ibanez. Esp. since Charvel's not doing the USA production anymore (not that the MIJ means they're any worse, but there's always that stigma to some people for anything not MIUSA)

It's not uncommon to see the 2550Es go pretty cheap already.

Ultimately, they're both nice guitars. I guess the biggest factor for me would be whether or not you've really bonded with the Charvel, or if you haven't and you're really Jonesing for a new axe. If you don't like the Charvel, and don't play it, not much use in having it IMO.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 05:05 PM

Keep the Dimas. If you "have too many guitars", getting rid of one while replacing it with another is only a temporary GAS fix anyway. Just add the RG if you REALLY wan't it.

I have a USA Charvel So-Cal (Transparent Ale) and two RG's ('95 US RG20, 2010 Limited 1420F)....no way I part with ANY of those just to add something else. For recording, I like the differences in tone they all offer, and the all alder CharvALE is a big part of that. As a matter of fact, my next guitar (soon as the tax money shows up here) is gonna be......wait........for...........it, a MIJ SAN DIMAS, lol!

Point is - you have a kinda "collectable" piece in your hands right now with that US Charvel Pro Mod as they are now done with those, prolly for good (from here on they come from Japan as everyone knows). Not saying the US models will eventually be sought after classics, but I dunno, with that line being done now, history may be kind to them, they probably won't be considered like other "dime-a-dozen" guitars either. So....KEEP IT.

DaylightDies does make a great final point though....you have to ask yourself: Am I a player or a collector? I never keep guitars or amps I won't use all the time, just bugs me to hang onto stuff I don't use. I have 3 or 4 guitars and a couple of heads and cabs because I'm not a gear collecting junkie. At some point ya gotta stop and just play.

Last edited by Kabala; 01-26-2011 at 05:19 PM.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 02:17 AM

Keep the Charvel. It is a US built guitar and also in a limited cool color. You will regret it if you let it go.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 05:57 PM

I am dying to try out one of the new Dimas guitars. I don't mind USA vs JAPAN issue. I just want to find one to feel the neck. No one around me has any in stores to try out. I hate buying sight unseen. Anyone have any detailed descriptions? I think they are compound necks but not sure.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 07:26 PM

Reviews: 17

I'll be honest. I own an RG2550MZ (The one with a maple fretboard) and it is an AMAZING guitar. I use it primary for cleans and it sounds and plays beautifully. Ive had a go on a lot of guitars, and this guitar had the sound, and the feel. And it looks pretty damn good.

But i will admit that it NOT a collector's guitar. It definitely a player, to be trashed and worn in, hard.

As for the chavel, honestly, ive never had a go on a non-low end one so i couldn't possible comment. But i do like the specs and look of the so-cal more.

The 2550MZ (WITH the maple fretboard, can't stress that enough) is nothing like any other Ibanez. Take that into consideration. You have to try one to understand this.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 07:33 PM

Thanks. I am recently new to this board because I just got my hands on an '87 RG 550. Trying to get used to this neck. Thinnest I've ever played for sure. I don't mind thin higher but I like a little thicker neck down towards frets 1 -6 ya know?
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 07:43 PM

Reviews: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike550 View Post
Thanks. I am recently new to this board because I just got my hands on an '87 RG 550. Trying to get used to this neck. Thinnest I've ever played for sure. I don't mind thin higher but I like a little thicker neck down towards frets 1 -6 ya know?

Then you'll be in for a surprise if you try a 2550. Its quite a bit thinner, and wider. Atleast i think.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 08:06 PM

The neck on the 2550 is a Wizard Prestige and is 1 mm thicker than the original Wizard necks like on your 87 RG550. It may not sound like much but it is noticeable. I'm sure the neck on a San Dimas would be even thicker.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big The Cat View Post

Then you'll be in for a surprise if you try a 2550. Its quite a bit thinner, and wider. Atleast i think.
Having owned both a 2007 RG2550E-GK that I modded the hell out of and an 87 RG550 that is stock barring pickups, I still have the 87 RG. I sold all my Prestige guitars in 2010 but couldn't bring myself to sell the RG550 even though I had buyers... it plays and sounds as good as a J Custom 8470 I used to own.

EDIT: That is not to say the 2550 isn't good, the older ones were great and way better than my Jacksons, but I stopped playing them as much as the RG550.

Last edited by axemanrio; 02-16-2011 at 04:14 AM.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 05:30 AM
Banned

id go for the charvel cos ive had a rg2550 and didnt like it,thats my 2 cents on it.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob777vdy View Post
id go for the charvel cos ive had a rg2550 and didnt like it,thats my 2 cents on it.
Was that a 2550Z or 2550E? Both 2550E's I've tried (one I owned) played great. Sounds like a hit or miss situation with the 2550Z's.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 07:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanrio View Post
Was that a 2550Z or 2550E? Both 2550E's I've tried (one I owned) played great. Sounds like a hit or miss situation with the 2550Z's.
it was a rg2550z. i thought it was lame sounding (weak) i swapped a 1100 custom shop peavey for it and was gutted lol.i changed pickups to evo's and sounded no better so i sold it on.i wouldnt buy a prestige again think for the price of a rg2550z you can buy a jem or a j-custom which to me are better guitars.its down to personal taste,some ppl love the rg2550z thats good for them but i wasnt fussed.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 11:45 AM

Reviews: 11

Quote:

sounds like you need to try js models!!!

Tags
charvel , prestige , rg2550 , rg2550e , san dimas

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode