Ibanez RG2550EX - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-20-2004, 02:15 AM Thread Starter

Ibanez RG2550EX

Hi!
I'm new to this forum!

And I have a question:
I've been playing guitar for 6 years but I've never owned an Ibanez, do you guys think that the Rg2550 is a good choice for a first Ibanez?

Thanks!
-Daniel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-20-2004, 03:30 AM

Depends what you are looking for in a guitar, but yes.

Having said that you can pick up RG550's (the 2550's predecessor) second hand very cheaply.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-20-2004, 05:57 AM

Yes, I would recommend getting a used RG550 too. Way cheaper and the bridge is better too.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-20-2004, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

Okey, I'll check If i can find a rg550.
Thanks alot for the answers.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-20-2004, 02:52 PM

I happen to own a RG2550EXGK and are very happy with it. Very good quality guitar with one of best performing and best looking trem bridges out there. It's my most favorite guitar.

If you don't want to buy new, I would suggest getting an older RG550. The RG550LTD has rosewood fretboard and others have a maple one.
Older RG5XX's have the Edge trem, the newer ones the Lo Pro Edge.
The latest ones the Edge Pro trem.

All these three trems are considered the best trems in the world. They all have little different feel to them that's why some people prefer one over the other.

The old ones don't have the AANJ (All Acess Neck Joint). I prefer the newer AANJ ones, because of better looks and better access to the upper frets.

Quote:
Way cheaper and the bridge is better too.
Comment like this should be ignored. If you want something nice and money isn't really an issue get the RG2550. Is your budget little more tight. Get an nice RG1550 or RG550 of ebay.
An older RG550 (pre AANJ) can be had for $200-250. The newer AANJ RG550's can be had for $250-450.

Just look around on ebay and you will see tons of RG550's being offered.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-20-2004, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

I'm planing on working after x-mas so I'll probably aim to buy a new guitar.

I think that the RG2550 looks really cool and I love the comfort of having the AANJ (A friend of mine has an Ibanez and I absolutely fell in love with the neck and the AANJ when I tried his guitar) My hands are quite small so it fits me great

So, I just have to work like a madman and then after a few months I'll have the guitar

Thanks for your answer!

-Daniel
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-21-2004, 02:18 AM

i own one and happy with mine. although sometimes the neck feels too thin, especially after playing my other yamaha RGX420 with thicker neck.

whatever, the guitar feels solid. recommended.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-21-2004, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemmm
Quote:
Way cheaper and the bridge is better too.
Comment like this should be ignored.
Why should that comment be ignored?! I don´t know how well you know your Ibanez history, but they downgraded the locking studs to non-locking studs when they introduced the Edge Pro. RG550 has those old style studs which perform a little bit better than the new ones on RG2550.

If money wasn´t an issue and I had to buy a guitar that I wasn´t going to sell then I would much rather buy an RG550 instead of RG2550. But hey, that´s just me .

Oh and here´s some other info too:
Old RG550s came with rosewood board instead of maple ones. I used to own one: http://www.angelfire.com/bug/kaavio/RG550esittely.html
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-21-2004, 05:55 AM

oh yeah, don't forget the prestige advantage: neck with no scarf joint, polished fret edges.

the normal RG550 do not have that.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-22-2004, 03:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by napee
oh yeah, don't forget the prestige advantage: neck with no scarf joint, polished fret edges.

the normal RG550 do not have that.
Sorry here comes a newbie question :
What is scarf joint?
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-22-2004, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frantic

Sorry here comes a newbie question :
What is scarf joint?
see the 1st photo in this page http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/crack_neck.htm(sorry rich, i used your page. :P ).

look at the neck carefully. you'll notice the wood grain & tone changes, slightly below the nut screws. that is because it is actually two separate pieces glued together. that is the scarf joint. not sure what's the real advantageof no scarf joint, but i have a feeling that without it the neck should be stronger.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-22-2004, 08:07 PM

Ah, totally forgot about the neck on the RG2550. Nice three piece glued maple with volute. (Folute is kinda ski jump bulge sticking out on back of the neck). The volute is intended to give the neck little more mass in critical top part of neck (where neck is the thinest.) Some like this feature (me included) some hate it. Three piece necks are considered stronger than one piece necks. Neck is less prone to warping.

Older RG's have truss rod AND bolds for top lock nut drilled in area where neck is thinest and weakest. That's why you see some older RG's with neck problems. RG2550 neck is one of thinest and most comfortable. (if you like thin necks, but if you didn't you wouldn't be looking at a RG, I guess)

About the trem......tons of pages have been written on the Edge, Lo Pro Egde and Edge Pro trems. The new trem has gotten some bad press at the beginning of introduction. (Just type in Egde Pro on this forum and you can read some interesting posts.) Most problems have been taken care off.

Some people always will be die-hard Edge, or Lo Pro Edge users.........that's what they used to. They like the feel and performance of "their" trem.......that's probably why Joe and Steve still use the older types.

That the new trem feels little different from their old Edge trem, doesn't make it a bad trem. It's just one great looking and performing trem.
And yes, it doesn't have the lock nuts......but if you want them in, you can easily fix that yourself. See Rich pages on this on www.ibanezrules.com

Together with the Kahler and the Ibanez ZR trem, the Edge Pro is one of my most favorite trems.

Just my $0.02
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2004, 10:50 PM

Volute would be the proper term bro...not to steal your thunder. I always advocate more mass at the headstock as well.....rock on!

Late!

Jon Z
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-04-2004, 03:03 AM

i have the rg 2550ex and its a dream to play . the necks a lot thinner than the jem which just takes a little getting used to but thats my main pratice guitar and i save the jem for playing on , i like them and they sound good , i remember my old rg550 and i seem to remember the neck was pretty similar , i may be wrong it was a while ago .

Last edited by Bezial; 01-06-2005 at 04:56 AM.

Tags
edge pro trem , edge pro trems , edge trem , lock nut , locking stud , locking studs , neck joint , playing guitar , pro edge , rosewood board , rosewood fretboard , scarf joint , truss rod , upper fret , upper frets , yamaha rgx

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode