Ibanez RG320 or RG270 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-11-2002, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

Ibanez RG320 or RG270

I've been looking around to buy a new guitar. I liked a lot the Ibanez RG320 and 270 and those are like in between the price I can afford, but I don't really know the big differences between the both of them.
Is there too much difference in quality?? I know there is a difference in the bridge but I don't really know too much about it.
Could you guy give me some advice please??

Thanx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-11-2002, 11:44 AM

Ibanez RG320 or RG270

I would buy a used rg-570,rg-520,or rg-550,before buying a new 270 or 320.Better electronics,better bridge,better quality,better resale,similar price.Though, I'm not sure what things sell for in france.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-11-2002, 12:45 PM

Ibanez RG320 or RG270

Welcome to the forum Grunk.

The main difference between the guitars you have mentioned is in the trem systems. The RG320 has a double locking unit where the strings are clamped at the neck as well as the bridge end. This gives greater tuning stability. The RG270 has a single locking system where the strings are only clamped at the neck. They are fed through the trem block in the same way as on a normal fender system with no need to cut the ball off the end of the string as you would with a double locking system.
If you are planning on using the trem on your new guitar then you really should go for the best system you can afford. The RG320 is equipped with a TRS system. These are OK but if you do a search of the forum, you will see that these are not too popular with many Jemsite regulars. Many regulars play Ibanez guitars fitted with the Edge or LoPro Edge trem system. These are superbly engineered systems with a fantastic feel and they hold their tuning like nothing else available.
If you look at buying second hand rather than new then you can probably pick up a played RG550, 570 or similar for similar money. These are great guitars that will last you for many years. They are made in Japan as opposed to Korea (like the 320 and 270). As a rule, the build quality will be better, the wood will be better, the switch gear will be better and the pick ups will be better. It will also have an edge trem system fitted as standard. You will get more money back when you decide to sell it to buy your first Jem as well :biggrin:

Hope this helps

Matt
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-05-2002, 07:10 AM

bridge consideration

i second the english lad (anyway, are you a Man U FC fan?)

if you think you don't whammy, then a good guitar to invest in, is the RG 421.

and if you are not obliged to get an RG body shaped Ibanez, there are other budget choices- S Classic/ AX... check these out.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-10-2002, 08:23 PM

how much do you have to spend!?

my first real guitar (and even thats debatable) was an RG270. the ONLY thing i didnt like about it was the bridge. it had a nasty tendancy to break strings and it didnt stay in tune. so i invested in a dremmel, and installed an Edge bridge. looking back on it i wish i had just spent the money in the first place and bought a damn 320 or somthing with a different bridge. but the lessons i learned made it worth my while.

Tags
body shape , edge bridge , edge trem , ibanez guitars , pro edge , pro edge trem , trem block

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode