Ibanez RG350DXZ, is the trem viable? (Edge Zero II) - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-21-2018, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Ibanez RG350DXZ, is the trem viable? (Edge Zero II)

Hello gents.

When I was just starting out, I lusted after an Ibanez RG350 in pure white. I loved the looks, the playability....

But the trem was god awful. It was likely an edge 3 so I was always put off it.

I see that recently they have been shipping with Edge Zero II, this seems to have some of the self centering tech that was introduced in the ZR. (The so called ZPS system).

So it the Edge Zero II any good? Does this make the guitar a decent purchase? I do see the trem on premium line instruments as well. Do they last?

How does it compare to the original ZR trem? (I had one on an S470 and it was my favourite!)

Say I had the chance to get an old Prestige with an original Edge for similar money, would the wear and tear of the edge over 20 years make the Edge Zero ii more likely to last longer and stay in tune better?

R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-21-2018, 03:16 PM

Re: Ibanez RG350DXZ, is the trem viable? (Edge Zero II)

I would go the old Prestige with Original Edge route. I have never played an Ibanez with an Edge bridge that needed to be replaced due to wear and tear. However, wiser people than I know all of Ibanez bridges inside and out and can be more specific.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 07:14 PM

Re: Ibanez RG350DXZ, is the trem viable? (Edge Zero II)

Other than the lack of a decent sustain block and the ZPS bar stop needing a mod to make it 'perfect' the edge zero 2 trem is pretty good.

what I do not like about it is setting the intonation. you need an e-Jack to do it, but even so, that tool is not perfect for the job, and there is no screw on the rear to push/pull the saddles like there is on other ibanez trems.

When it is setup however, it is rock solid and doesn't lose tune. The ZPS is very good, and those who object to it are usually ignorant of the physics involved, and why it is there, and why it makes sense to be there.

I posted in another thread about the sustain block mod and there is a youtube video on the ZPS bar stop modification, which basically involves a dremel and clearing out the v shaped channel to make it hemispheric - so the ZPS bar actually seats on the zero point itself, instead of in the 'V' wedge.

Ibanez need to step up their game on the ZPS subcomponent manufacturing quality - and should be using metal instead of injection molded plastic for the stop bar retainers.

Hopefully someone with a CNC can machine up some brass ZPS stop bar retainers, and then the thing would ring out even more.

The bridge setup when done in accordance with the ibanez documentation is dead easy and WORKS. I honestly wonder how many ignore factory instructions - including the guy who originally setup my missus RG350 - who allegedly is a great 'setup guy' - but in my own experience, knows very little about how to setup a trem bridge in an ibanez.

I fixed it by doing what anyone without detailed knowledge about a system shoud do - that is RTFM. (read the f* manual)
Sure, it took me 3 hours and cost me an intonation tool (which isn't perfect for the job, but there isn't anything else that works) but for $50 and a few hours, the missus has a rockin' RG that will not go out of tune. It's dead stable and has been that way since I set it up.

I will concede that the sustain block is too small and made of junk cast zinc alloy - to which there are better options out there in CNC-land, and they do make a difference. Hantug and KGS I think are the two most prevalent. I am not sure if FU-Tone make an edge zero version.

Anyway, that's some food for thought. Don't ditch the trem unless you are really dissatisfied with the sound. Everything else is simply down to proper setup - and it's not difficult - Ibanez have made it simple enough for anyone to follow the setup instructions.

Ibanez website contains the edge zero 2 tremolo pdf in their manuals section.

Last edited by JB74; 02-19-2018 at 07:16 PM. Reason: typo
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 01:05 PM

Edge zero 2 is a decent trem. A little stiff at first, but after the springs street a bit they're more responsive. Mine seems to holding the knife edges well.

Tags
edge zero , ibanez , rg350

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode