Ibanez RG350EX - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 03:18 AM Thread Starter

Ibanez RG350EX

Hey guys,
i am saving up money on a new guitar. I've been playing for about 3 years now. I play a lot of music styles, for exp.: RHCP, GUNS 'N ROSES, LED ZEPPELIN, NIRVANA, U2, DEEP PURPLE, GREEN DAY. One day, in the music store, IBANEZ RG350EX catched my eye. I this guitar versatile? Is it a good instrument? Or is there any better ibanez guitars in my price range? At the moment I have 500$. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 04:11 AM

Re: Ibanez RG350EX

i have an 350ex and i think it's a pretty good guitar. it's versatile but pretty much every rg with H/S/H is... the only thing I found I didn't like is the stock bridge pickup when distorted. with a lot of drive it tended to get really muddy on the e and a strings.

play it first to see if you like it, imo. it's a great guitar for the price.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 04:39 AM

There's a youtube channel called "era1004" of a kid named Owen Chen and he played an rg350EX or DX, the white one. And he covers everything form cannon rock to Sweetchild of mine and a whole host of others. Check him out to see what one would sound like. He really does it justice.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 11:06 AM

Mates don't buy rg350 or 370..In my personal opinion these guitar are so "weak" and bad..Especially those new default pick ups....I tried a lot of htem and every guitar was bad....So high gain so plastic and syntetic...

You have 500 bucks, you should find second used rg550 believe me its a much better guitar..

And tremolo system (floyd rose someone would say) on 350-370 is EDGE 3 (III) and it is the worst tremolo system on Ibanez guitars...

You must find some Ibanez with EDGE (1) tremolo system or LO Pro Edge 1 if you wanna guitar with some temolo system as floyd rose...

Cheers I hope I helped you!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 11:08 AM

Forgot to say - new one ZR zero tremolo system is also good thing to chose in those new Ibanez guitars especially on S series...
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alteisen View Post
i have an 350ex and i think it's a pretty good guitar. it's versatile but pretty much every rg with H/S/H is... the only thing I found I didn't like is the stock bridge pickup when distorted. with a lot of drive it tended to get really muddy on the e and a strings.

play it first to see if you like it, imo. it's a great guitar for the price.

OMG how you could say its versatile????

Gibson is versatile...

Rg350ex is all about high gain metal.....Too much noise and the worst clean sounds ever....All this is if you consider you have a default bad factory pick ups...But the wood is also bad quality
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 11:23 AM

Reviews: 21

Edge 3 isn't that bad. I'm betting Edge Zero 2 is a better trem, though. I haven't played one yet but supposedly they're a lot like the Prestige Edge Zero. The problem the lower end trems have is they're cast to a weaker spec and aren't machined as precisely as their more expensive counterparts. Fine tuners are a dead giveaway. If they're harder to turn they're not as precise.
This doesn't mean Edge 3 is a junk trem. I had them on two guitars for years and they were solid if set up correctly.
My suggestion would be to look at the newer RG350's if you can, the ones with Edge Zero 2. The ones with the black dot maple boards look sweet!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

What would you do if you were in my shoes??
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 12:46 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by maziuzzz1994 View Post
What would I do....ignore everything DareIbanez said and focus only on what Mike said
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 12:50 PM

Reviews: 2

The new RG350MP has the new Edge Zero II trem on it.... the same trem that's on all of the new RG premiums.

Note: only the "MP" version of the 350 has the EZII. Also, the INF pickups are not the best Ibanez has to offer. However, should you buy this guitar, someone here on jemsite will surely hook you up with some better pup's
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 02:47 PM

Reviews: 11

Quote:
rg470MH. mahogany body and edge zero II. and at $480, its in your price range!!!

or theres the rg470AH which is $500 and the only difference is an edge III (which can be directly replaced with an edge pro) and an ash body.

or you could save another $200 or so and get an xpt700 ($700 at Z Zounds .com. you can even do 4 monthly payments of $175) and thats mahogany body, maple NECK THRU with dimarzio D-Activators. this is the best guitar of the 3 of these. period. only problem is the edge III BUT they have been known to do great things if set up properly so i wouldnt ditch the option just because of the trem
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 03:44 PM

Reviews: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
The new RG350MP has the new Edge Zero II trem on it.... the same trem that's on all of the new RG premiums.

Note: only the "MP" version of the 350 has the EZII. Also, the INF pickups are not the best Ibanez has to offer. However, should you buy this guitar, someone here on jemsite will surely hook you up with some better pup's
Yes, the stock INF pickups do suck. I would at the very least switch out the bridge pickup.
You can also try to find a deal on a guitar that's a few years old where maybe the pickups have been switched out already. You may even find an MIJ RG in your price range.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

what about S series? like S470BK?
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 04:16 PM

I agree & disagree with some of the above posts. I own a Jem77BRMR, an RG350DX, A Parker Nitefly, an RGR321EXFM, and a few other axes as well. Surprisingly, the guitar I use most is the RGR321EXFM. I installed DiMarzio Breed neck & bridge pickups in it & it sounds awesome through my HD500, Blackstar HT-5 or my Carvin V3.

If this is your first step up from an entry level guitar, the RG350 isn't a bad guitar. The tremolo has mixed reviews, but I could beat the bag out of mine with zero issues. I will agree that it is the least of all Ibanez locking trems.

I'd say, unless you're hellbent on a tremolo, I'd consider a fixed bridge RG, as you can change tunings easily, and if you break a string while playing your entire guitar won't go wildly out of tune.

Also, any stock Ibanez pickups are not that great unless you spend over $1500 on the guitar. That goes for the whole range of guitars they make.

I'd consider this: I got a mahogany bodied RG on eBay for $300, and installed two DiMarzio pickups for $140. Sounds about as good as my Jem, and if I bump it by accident, I won't cry.

If you insist on a tremolo equipped guitar, I'd consider this:

S420

It's not an RG, but it's got 24 frets and a great tremolo system. It's $500 new, and you could wait down the road for a pickup change which, as I stated above, will do wonders for the guitar. It's a nice, mahogany bodied guitar (as is the RG I got used on eBay), but there's not alot of used 24 fret S series out there yet.

I, personally, would consider that with a $500 budget, the two options above are better than the RG350 option. If you still have your heart set on one, I'd go used, as they sell for around $350 on eBay, and you can upgrade the pickups, at least the humbuckers, with the spare money.

Just my $1.34 worth...

Last edited by Just A Box; 04-17-2011 at 04:51 PM.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 04:58 PM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Hey guys,
i am saving up money on a new guitar. I've been playing for about 3 years now. I play a lot of music styles, for exp.: RHCP, GUNS 'N ROSES, LED ZEPPELIN, NIRVANA, U2, DEEP PURPLE, GREEN DAY. One day, in the music store, IBANEZ RG350EX catched my eye. I this guitar versatile? Is it a good instrument? Or is there any better ibanez guitars in my price range? At the moment I have 500$. Thank you!
nothing against the 350 series guitars, but with a budget of $500 you can do much better.

$500 can get you most early 90s MIJ RG570 and RG470 (unsure about S series guitars from the same time frame, not really my thing). But the 470 or 570 will crush any 350

Tags
ibanez rg350ex

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode