Ibanez RG350EX Made in Indonesia. - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Ibanez RG350EX Made in Indonesia.

hey guys,..well this is my first post to this forum,.on a really helpfull website,..so thanx for all who views my problem

newayz i just bought this RG350EX ,.which is the black one with a silver pickgaurd ,..i got it new,.for nearly $400. so i started playing on it when i got home ,.and i sometimes feel that the 8th fret on the B string kinda scratches the fret when i do bends or some hard vibrato. i don't know if this is normal :S,..
as am also scared that the guitar is defective. thing is i could clearly hear that scratchin sound cuz right now i got no amp so i sometimes play it unplugged ,...is that normal guys ,.or is the strings are too rough or what ?

please help,..

thanx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 02:41 PM

Re: Ibanez RG350EX Made in Indonesia.

You might just need a truss rod adjustment to fix the problem, or you might have a slightly high fret that needs to be filed. Those are my guesses from your description here.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

thanx for the quick reply man....but does a truss rod adjustment cause the strings to kinda scrape the fret like that ? ,.am just worried about that cuz i don't want my frets to be worn out,..cuz its still a brand new guitar,..and if the frets are killed ,..its done,..in egypt here there are no places really to do fret jobs n stuff

PS: and if one fret is a bit high,...it shouldnt make a difference IMHO cuz that sound is like as if the string is soo rough and its just scraping it,. IMO i thing the sound would still be there no matter how high the fret is,..or maybe that's just me ,.am really confused here :S
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 03:33 PM

Reviews: 10

hamoksh - i got a 350 as well, u maybe able to just slightly raise the bridge (bottom screw on bridge that angles it up or down causing the strings to either raise or lower to the fretboard) try slighly adjusting that to see if buzz goes away. I had a similar issue on the A string around fret 3 or so and that cured it.

Quick and easy to do too, and if it doesnt work, then no harm done putting it back to where it was, then you could try one of the ideas mentioned above.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

well,.richard thanx for the reply,..and i was basically trying to tune it today ,.
i kept tuning it and it kept going out of tune again,..i know this is a floyd thing,.so i kept doing it for some time ,.and i noticed the rear end of the bridge kinda tilting up,..away from the bodyy,..and it solved that scraping thing that used to happen considerably,..i think it has to do with the strings ,..

so if u don't mind my noob question lol,.as this is only my second floyd guitar,(other one was two years aago so am a bit rusty)... does the bridge have to FLAT ? ,.or is it ok to keep it tilted like that ?

thanx again guys
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 06:37 PM

Reviews: 120

You should try and keep the knife edges of the bridge (the bits that move on the studs/trem posts) level with the top of your body for best tuning stability.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamoksh View Post
well,.richard thanx for the reply,..and i was basically trying to tune it today ,.
i kept tuning it and it kept going out of tune again,..i know this is a floyd thing,.so i kept doing it for some time ,.and i noticed the rear end of the bridge kinda tilting up,..away from the bodyy,..and it solved that scraping thing that used to happen considerably,..i think it has to do with the strings ,..

so if u don't mind my noob question lol,.as this is only my second floyd guitar,(other one was two years aago so am a bit rusty)... does the bridge have to FLAT ? ,.or is it ok to keep it tilted like that ?

thanx again guys
No, it doesn't have to be flat, however bridge sitting parallel with body seems to be the balance point where the bridge edges centre themselves against the pivots, and SHOULD stay in tune a little better - this setup also gives you an ideal combination of down and up trem range.

Generally the accepted approach to raising the action is to screw the bridge posts UP a little (counterclockwise, looking from above).

I don't think Ibanez level and dress the frets on Korean/Indonesian RGs, so unfortunately uneven, slightly rough frets are not uncommon (it's not a defect, it's just cost cutting!)

Cheers

David
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 06:15 PM

Raising the bridge will help...... but it sounds to me like the neck is at least bent.

Im not gonna tell ya how to adjust your trussrod. Thats gonna cause you more probs if you do it wrong. (no guarantee youll follow directions n such).

My advice.....
Take it to a "qualified" luthier and pay him 20 bux to make your axe behave.

An 350 isnt a bad instrument. Killer for newbs..... and a player with 20 yrs under his/her belt would like em too.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David McCarroll View Post
I don't think Ibanez level and dress the frets on Korean/Indonesian RGs, so unfortunately uneven, slightly rough frets are not uncommon (it's not a defect, it's just cost cutting!)

Cheers

David
yea actually i do think ure right David. its kind of a really cheap guitar tho,...i got everything sorted out on my own ,.and now its all good again. and actually guys i was surprized as to how much the Edge III stays in tune. it can't offcourse be like the Edge pro or nething ,..but i do satch squeels ,.and dive bombs and kinda use the trem alot ,..and am surprized i haven't tuned it at all after i adjusted the bridge to be flat n all .,.

thankx guys for all the hlp,. great forum seriously,.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 12:14 AM
Dee

hamoksh -- take a look at the information here: http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/index.htm

Tags
david mccarroll , rod adjustment , truss rod , truss rod adjustment

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode