Ibanez RG3550 or JS1200 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 02:41 AM Thread Starter

Question Ibanez RG3550 or JS1200

Hey.

Not sure if this is the right spot to put it but anyways,
I kinda like the concept of RG3550, just never use a maple fretboard before.
I play most my own music really, inspired by Satch, Vai etc etc.
Since I play my own music it might be a good idea to stay away from the JS1200, don't want my records to sound like Satch(not that he does'nt have a great tone, just don't wanna be a copy cat).

Well back to the maple fretboard. I've only had guitars with rosewood fretboards. So generally I wanna ask what the tone will be like with the maple fretboard instead of the rosewood.

Also, please share any personal experience with the guitars.

Which would be the best for me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 07:21 AM

Re: Ibanez RG3550 or JS1200

I own a 3250 with a maple fretboard (same neck as a 3550), and I haven't noticed the tone to be significantly different than any of my rosewood board guitars. Maybe its a touch brighter? The new wizard HP necks ibanez is putting on these guitars are completely amazing. Thinner, faster, awesome(r). I don't know the measurements, but they feel thinner to me than even the original wizard necks.

The JS has a multi radius neck that I didn't really get on with, and the Dimarzio Fred is really a "love it or hate it" bridge pickup. I've had one in one of my guitars for years, and I've been on both ends of that spectrum. It's stratty, its very tight and very clear. Great clean sound and tends to react a little differently than you would expect to high gain, instead of getting bigger and grainier it tends to tighten up even more.

The new JS1200s are shipping with the original edge bridge, instead of the edge pro or edge zero with ZPS3. If you're looking at a brand new one, thats an upgrade that might influence MY decision personally. Maybe I'm old, but I still think the original edge is the best floyd you can get. That said, once you get past the initial difference in feel (the ez with ZPS3 feels VERY stiff compared to an original edge or floyd) the EZ is a pretty fantastic and very usable trem.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 08:18 AM

A maple frettboard might be a little brighter, but could also be the other way around.

You might feel that the response, attack, are a bit faster, but not always.
In general do maple boards through out the full note a bit faster while rosewood let the notes grow out. But it is very general, almost to the level of not being worth mentioning.
Not so much anything that can be heard, it is mainly a how it feel to play, how you feel it answers you.
The faster response was my drive to mainly use maple boards. Nut I have so many guitars that prove that theory wrong that I don't believe in it anymore.

The over all difference is in how it feels, especially if the maple have finish on it.
Not much to care to much about, you get used to whatever in a couple of minutes.

The necks of the JS and the RG are very different, much more to consider there.
The JS feels and plays like a normal stratocaster, different radius and neck profile (thicker, but not thick, more C) than the RG.

/Magnus
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 10:43 AM

Reviews: 11

I'm voting for RG3550. I hate the JS series. I think they're ugly as hell
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 08:23 AM

I'm a sucker for maple 'boards and 24 frets so I know which I would be looking at. That being said, i'd want to play them both before I made a decision, 'cause you never know how you will bond with a particular guitar until you've given it some real playtime.

I recently had a play of 2 different Premium RGs. One was great, the other had a warble noise coming from the bridge. Same model, both felt great, one sounded like it had something very wrong with it. Bottom line, let your hands and ears decide.

Rock on!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 08:21 PM

Boy!... 2 very different feeling and playing guitars. It has been my experience that those who find the JS neck to their liking have a hard time switching to a Wizard style neck and vice versa. Especially the one on the 3550 which uses dimensions from the orig Wizard's from back in the day(17mm at the 1st fret and 19mm at the 12th). Very thin,flat necks. JS neck's have more of a strat type feel. Also the PU config is different (H-S-H as opposed to H-H). That middle pu can hang some people up depending on your picking style. Both are great guitars. Just very different! I would play both side by side if possible and then make your choice. O' and I have owned both!

Tags
1200 , 3550 , ibanez , joe , satch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode