Ibanez rg470 MIJ - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 02:30 AM Thread Starter

Ibanez rg470 MIJ

There seems to be a lot of opinions about the origin of these f s/n 470ís. I have been collecting Ibanez guitars for a while now and I have lost track of where my information came from. Over the years I have talked to several other collectors about them and I do remember there being a site that discussed them. Maybe some of you can direct me to something definitive. Basically my info and the characteristics of the guitar point to MIJ neck, pickups, tuners, MIK body, tremolo. Wizard 2 neck stamped rg550, early versions having a MIJ lo trs and also one year with an Edge. I have heard assembled in Japan with Korean parts and also that the Korean wizard 2 necks were in short supply so possibly assembled in Korea with a pre stamped MIJ neck and pickups. I have had a few 2000 f s/n 470ís pass my way and all had a MIK lo trs tremolos. Anyone care to shed some light on this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 10:51 AM

Re: Ibanez rg470 MIJ

I have an Black Ibanez, no model number just says RG series. Its MIJ , its an 01. Its got an Ibanez Lo-TRS trem. 5 piece neck, V7 S1 V8 Configuration. the "Ibanez" decal is in chrome.
is this a 470?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 08:08 PM

Reviews: 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerK View Post
I have an Black Ibanez, no model number just says RG series. Its MIJ , its an 01. Its got an Ibanez Lo-TRS trem. 5 piece neck, V7 S1 V8 Configuration. the "Ibanez" decal is in chrome.
is this a 470?
Yes this is a MIJ RG470
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 08:15 PM

Reviews: 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtchc1978 View Post
There seems to be a lot of opinions about the origin of these f s/n 470’s. I have been collecting Ibanez guitars for a while now and I have lost track of where my information came from. Over the years I have talked to several other collectors about them and I do remember there being a site that discussed them. Maybe some of you can direct me to something definitive. Basically my info and the characteristics of the guitar point to MIJ neck, pickups, tuners, MIK body, tremolo. Wizard 2 neck stamped rg550, early versions having a MIJ lo trs and also one year with an Edge. I have heard assembled in Japan with Korean parts and also that the Korean wizard 2 necks were in short supply so possibly assembled in Korea with a pre stamped MIJ neck and pickups. I have had a few 2000 f s/n 470’s pass my way and all had a MIK lo trs tremolos. Anyone care to shed some light on this.
The LO-TRS on the MIJ is not a Korean trem. The Korean trem is the LO-TRS II and is rubbish. The LO-TRS on the MIJs is made in Japan by Takuechi (spelling?) and is quite a reasonable trem.

MIK RG470s appeared in 1994, and switched back to Japan in 1997 ( from memory, might be 1998 ). The MIKs came with the crappy LO-TRS II trem, and the INF series pickups, and Korean Wizard II neck. Some must have come with Japanese Wizard necks, I personally have one of these I bought brand new back in 1995.

When they moved back to Japan they got the vastly better Lo-TRS trem, V series pickups, and the MIJ Wizard II, which is a similar profile to the Wizard, just a little thicker.

In 2003 the last RG470s also got an Edge Pro trem.

That's what I can remember.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
The LO-TRS on the MIJ is not a Korean trem. The Korean trem is the LO-TRS II and is rubbish. The LO-TRS on the MIJs is made in Japan by Takuechi (spelling?) and is quite a reasonable trem.

MIK RG470s appeared in 1994, and switched back to Japan in 1997 ( from memory, might be 1998 ). The MIKs came with the crappy LO-TRS II trem, and the INF series pickups, and Korean Wizard II neck. Some must have come with Japanese Wizard necks, I personally have one of these I bought brand new back in 1995.

When they moved back to Japan they got the vastly better Lo-TRS trem, V series pickups, and the MIJ Wizard II, which is a similar profile to the Wizard, just a little thicker.

In 2003 the last RG470s also got an Edge Pro trem.

That's what I can remember.
Thatís good info on the early 470's and the year ranges. I am well aware of everything else you posted. Thing is that I have had a few 2000 470's go through my hands without Japan stamped on the block of the lo trs. They seemed to be soft metal and all had blade issues but were not the lo trs II. I am aware that the MIJ lo trs is decent and have seen just about every variant of Ibanez tremolos. I also remember that those post 98ís, which sounds about right had a Korean made body and the electronics besides the pickups were not the same as a 5 series from the same year as well as the obvious lack of a jack cavity cover. I have had a 99 and a few 2000's through the years. So sounds like 94-97 is more of the MIK with the MIJ neck, just want to confirm weather the later years had a MIJ or MIK body. Those later year aanj 470's were what a few collectors referred to as hybrid MIJ/MIK.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode