Ibanez JEM Forum banner

IBANEZ RG520QS Refinishing project question

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  albee1952 
#1 ·
OK, i have the RG520QS body, it has a very faint quilt. Now, if I redo the finish, is there a way to make that quilt more prominent? I'm thinking blackburst with a red middle.

It's hard man, refinishing is so goddamn expensive. I'm getting my RG565 repainted black, it's costing me 250 WTF!?!!? it's just black! But my next project is going to be cool. I'm thinking RG520QS body, with red/blackburst. PAF PRO, maybe an evolution inthe Bridge. Lo PRo Edge Black, all black hardware. Oh, pickups black. SOrry, I guess a pic would be better!!!

Any suggestions on a neck? I like the maple with black inlays on the RG350's but man those are way to thick. Any way to make them slimmer?

#2 · (Edited)
No reason you can't shave a 350 neck down but I bet you would get used to it in no time anyway. As for the 520QS, be warned that the quilted top is very thin and you need to be careful you don't sand thru it if you strip it. I have one that is so dark and thick with the original finish that you almost can't see any quilting. I think the key will be to thin the colors out and spray thin/light coats so you don't obscure the grain. With mahogany, I wonder if a ToneZone might be better than an Evo. YMMV I guess you got west coast pricing on the paint jobs as I get single color done for $150-175 in Nashville.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.