Ibanez RG550 on sale...is it ok? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Ibanez RG550 on sale...is it ok?

So, i've been dreaming for a long time 'bout having an RG550 with a maple neck.

And i always find cool deals on USA for these guitars, but i live in Mexico, and there are very few of those guitars down here. And those few ones are very expensive.
So anyways, i found this guitar on MercadoLibre (Spanish Ebay) , and i wanted to ask you all for an opinion. He says he would give it to me for $6000 pesos ($440 dollars with shipping included).

Just add the http thingy before this --- articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-73422835-ibanez-rg-550-japonesa-de-coleccion-prestige-_JM

What do you guys think?

I'm just concerned about the pickups (there's a red one...)...the guy says the 2 humbuckers are Dimarzios and the single is a V8 (but that doesn't make sense, since (as far as i know) V8's are only humbuckers.

He also says it's from the late 80's.

So, should i pull the trigger on this one? or is there something fishy about it and i should wait?
Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 05:29 PM

Re: Ibanez RG550 on sale...is it ok?

give us the correct adress or post the pics (make desktop-pics)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 05:45 PM

Reviews: 2

definitely a real 550, but it's a bit rough. 6000 peso's would be a fair price IF it is in good condition, but the pics are terrible. It's too hard to tell for sure.

The headstock shows it's a '93 RG550 CA (candy apple). The neck and middle pups look stock (V1 neck- S1 middle) but the writing is gone so I can't say for sure.

For those that want to see it...go to this site:
http://www.mercadolibre.com.mx/

and enter a search for this:
Ibañez Rg 550 Japonesa De Coleccion Prestige
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the answer! since i don't have the required number of posts, i was struggling to show you all the pictures. Yes, the pictures are terrible, but that's pretty common down here (sadly).

So, what about the bridge pickup? any idea of what it is? i was thinking it was from a red RG770, but i'm not sure . I really doubt i'll find another guitar of those at that price.
Again, thanks for taking your time to help.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 07:33 PM

Hey! I checked the ad. I might be wrong, considering the crappyness of the pictures but I think the neck pickup might be a Dimarzio. Look at the polepiece screws. Ibanez V pickups only have one row of adjustable polepiece screws. The bridge pickup looks like a Dimarzio as well. I assume that polepieces on RG770 IBZ/USA are black while you can find "silver" polepiece on Dimarzio. Otherwise, there's no way I can tell what's the single pickup. But it's definitely not an Ibanez V8 Humbucker!
Just ask what dimarzio are in there if you can. There are different pickups in Dimarzio Catalog and I believe they don't all sound the same.

All that being said, if you want a RG550 and because you said you don't have many opportunity to get one, I'd say go for it. The price is OK.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

That's right, he said the bridge and neck were Dimarzios, but i'm not sure 'bout the single one, altough i don't really care about that single pickup. I guess i'm taking it!! i might be crazy, but i've always liked beated-up guitars.

Thanks everyone!. I would still like to read other members opinions 'bout this guitar .
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 02:21 AM

My first guitar was a 550 LB. It was 1991, I so wanted to be Steve Vai, and paid it with my very first pay as a cashier! The poor guitar suffered from my youth but played so well!
Anyway, I've stripped it (with a knife), trade it with a poor man Strat and regretted it years later.
Those guitars once properly set up are so easy to play! What I dislike and like is their constancy. I've bought many and sold many since, and it always feels home each time I have that '91 nostalgia and feel the urge to put my fingers on one.
But with time passing by, I tend to prefer rosewood fretboard and I just LOVE the IBZ/USA and Dimarzio/IBZ pickups (like those you find on the 25XX) over Dimarzio and any other brand on RG. I can find almost all the sounds I dig with that combination: RG+Ibz/DM pickups. So I guess I'm more a RG 7xx guy. RG are obviously associated with Hair metal, Shred, flashy licks etc, but I just love their over the top dirty crunchy bluesy sound!
All that blah blah said, there is still something that still bothers me. Tighter string gauges like 10-52, my favorite for live conditions playing, don't go well with RG w/ Edge trem basic setup.

Tags
rg550 rg 550 mij

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode