Ibanez RG560 Makeover idea - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

Question Ibanez RG560 Makeover idea

Hey, Folks.

I have a few questions for you all.

I have a 91' RG560 which I recently purchased. I'm really happy with it but it's been around the block a few times. There are only a few things that I would like to change on it.

1) Pickups - Take out the middle single coil and turn it into a 565.

2) Paint - Repaint it with a brighter color. I saw one of those new RG370's with the Orange Rust color and fell in love with it. I would like to repaint it in that color.

3) Knobs - Take out the tone knob and replace that with a volume knob.

What I was wondering is what I could fill the middle single coil route with so it would look neater. The guy at the local music store suggested wood putty.

Also, besides from having one less pickup and tone knob how would this affect the sound?

So, here's some pictures for the ideas.

Before)

After)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 06:05 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64
Re: Ibanez RG560 Makeover idea

I took out mid pup and closed it with wood filler.
Did a graphic and glued over it.
Changed tone pot to vol pot.
Closed volume hole with wood filler too.
Clear coated and the sound was the same.
In the end it had black floyd.

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Wow, that looks awesome. I've always heard that repainting affects the sound so I was just curious.

What did you use for wood filler?
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 09:13 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarmattms View Post
Wow, that looks awesome. I've always heard that repainting affects the sound so I was just curious.

What did you use for wood filler?
Repainting affects nothing,painting layer is probably thinner than hair.
Besides that electric solid guitar tone comes much more from pups,strings and amp than its body.

Wood filler.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Cool, Thank you.

You can tell I'm new at all of this. My former guitar teacher knows someone who does paint jobs on the side and she's fairly cheap. I might see if she could help me out on it.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 01:44 AM

Reviews: 2

Hey Matt, I just noticed that your only about an hour an a half due west of me. If you want, I'll fill the pup route for you (free, of course.... I'm not a vendor). I'll fill it with real wood though, not filler. There's nothing really wrong with filler, but I prefer to work with real wood.

You can pick whatever type of wood you like, but I suggest sticking with a tonewood (basswood, mahogany, maple.......etc.)

Let me know what you think....I've been laid off for a few weeks, so I have a little time on my hands.....lol

Ryc
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 01:51 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
Hey Matt, I just noticed that your only about an hour an a half due west of me. If you want, I'll fill the pup route for you (free, of course.... I'm not a vendor). I'll fill it with real wood though, not filler. There's nothing really wrong with filler, but I prefer to work with real wood.

You can pick whatever type of wood you like, but I suggest sticking with a tonewood (basswood, mahogany, maple.......etc.)

Let me know what you think....I've been laid off for a few weeks, so I have a little time on my hands.....lol

Ryc
Yes--use a block of wood cut as close to the hole size as possible, then fill the cracks with wood putty and sand. This is the best method. Take Ryc up on his offer--he knows what he's doing, plus it'll give him something to do...

Oh, and that orange looks cool, but I'd paint it purple!!!

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 01:53 AM

OHHH..... thought I'd post a few threads so you can see that I can handle the work. There's plenty of pics included.

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f18/my...rd-108877.html
or
http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f18/ng...light=RG450LTD
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 02:00 AM

Orange looks cool!!!!
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzedout View Post
Orange looks cool!!!!
Me likey!

Hey, RG. That's really tempting.. I do like the idea of using real wood as well instead of wood filler. I was just thinking of filling it in with Basswood. Make it complete as possible. I'll send ya PM here.

Thanks.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Go for a "Mahogany tone block" I have no idea what that actually would do, but the idea sounds cool

For paint how about a colour changing flip flop orange, or a fantastic orange pearl or cany tangerine metalflake or something.

If you're paying for a re-spray a bit more to make it REALLY special might be worth it?
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
Go for a "Mahogany tone block" I have no idea what that actually would do, but the idea sounds cool
That is a great Idea if Matt wants to re-route all 3 pickup spots. The work would be just as easy (maybe even easier) but it would be somewhat pointless to only do it to fill the middle pup.

Quote:
For paint how about a colour changing flip flop orange, or a fantastic orange pearl or cany tangerine metalflake or something.

If you're paying for a re-spray a bit more to make it REALLY special might be worth it?
I totally agree with you!!! House of color has an insane looking burnt orange pearl that would look awesome on a guitar:

See here:
http://www.houseofkolor.com/speedsha...es_shimrin.jsp
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

Hmm... Now you got me thinking jono. I know on the high end john petrucci guitars they add a tone block in it. I'm not sure how big the blocks are and I couldn't really tell a difference but it does sound different.

Wonder where I could get some flip flop paint...
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 05:40 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

I used the Duplicolor Mirage Green/Purple on one of my RG-550s once. I think they have orange, too. House of Kolor is mentioned above--that would be best:
http://www.houseofkolor.com/speedsha..._urethanes.jsp

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
I used the Duplicolor Mirage Green/Purple on one of my RG-550s once. I think they have orange, too. House of Kolor is mentioned above--that would be best:
http://www.houseofkolor.com/speedsha..._urethanes.jsp
urethane UK08 "tangerine" give's me wood!!!

Tags
ibanez , rg560 , rg565

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode