Ibanez RG652BG - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Ibanez RG652BG

Anyone with experience with this one? I have good impressions of 'African Mahogany' body superstrats, one I am hugely impressed with is the Suhr Modern Satin. It may be same or similar wood I am not sure, Sapene, Kaja, Okoume, exotic words are flying around. Charvel has an okoume pro mod dinky out this year, for a cheaper option. I am pretty sure Ibanez will be the consistently better product than the Mexican Charvel, but I am more of a Stratocaster player and have not been extensively involved with any Ibanez, Charvel is a more familiar terrain. Any experience on the above mentioned Ibby will be apppreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 03:48 PM

Re: Ibanez RG652BG

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearbug View Post
Anyone with experience with this one? I have good impressions of 'African Mahogany' body superstrats, one I am hugely impressed with is the Suhr Modern Satin. It may be same or similar wood I am not sure, Sapene, Kaja, Okoume, exotic words are flying around. Charvel has an okoume pro mod dinky out this year, for a cheaper option. I am pretty sure Ibanez will be the consistently better product than the Mexican Charvel, but I am more of a Stratocaster player and have not been extensively involved with any Ibanez, Charvel is a more familiar terrain. Any experience on the above mentioned Ibby will be apppreciated.
These days you can make a guitar out of damned near anything, titanium and carbon reinforced truss rod systems mean timber that is totally unsuitable for a neck can safely be used.

You've always been able to make bodies out of whatever you had lying around, danelectro even used masonite back in the 50's and 60's.

Brian May used blockboard for his 'legendary' tone.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 04:13 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Ask yourself what you are really looking for. Of course, get the Suhr if you can afford it... you'll thank yourself several years later. This will make fanatics annoyed but lets be real, the Ibanez wood is almost moot with the thick clearcoat more than a half pound of it. The RG is what it is for 30+ years now... a full on shred axe with thin & wide neck & double-locking trem used with lots of signal processing. If that is what you want then the 652 is a great choice. To me it's just another Ibanez spreadsheet guitar.... design by numbers, plug in something new to the 31 year old formula w/ wizard neck & Edge trem. In this case the wood got your attention. YMMV good luck.

Last edited by jemsite; 05-27-2018 at 04:33 PM.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Well I was concerned about the carbon fiber rods they are using on the Charvel models mentioned, in a similar vein. But I am strongly a tone-wood believer honestly.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
Ask yourself what you are really looking for. Of course, get the Suhr if you can afford it... you'll thank yourself several years later. This will make fanatics annoyed but lets be real, the Ibanez wood is almost moot with the thick clearcoat more than a half pound of it. The RG is what it is for 30+ years now... a full on shred axe with thin & wide neck & double-locking trem used with lots of signal processing. If that is what you want then the 652 is a great choice. To me it's just another Ibanez spreadsheet guitar.... design by numbers, plug in something new to the 31 year old formula w/ wizard neck & Edge trem. In this case the wood got your attention. YMMV good luck.
I didn't know you could talk like that on this site lol... thanks for the honest response.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 05:48 PM
Vendor

The BG is in natural flat and has almost no finish on it, pretty much as thin as you can get. You have to wipe it down with a tee shirt because a micro fiber catches everywhere. But it is a full on shred guitar, that can do most anything else also it's not like you have to shred on it, but it's capable, just as a Le Paul is capable of shred, or jazz if you wanted.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Well I was concerned about the carbon fiber rods they are using on the Charvel models mentioned, in a similar vein. But I am strongly a tone-wood believer honestly.
Carbon fiber rods have been used in high-end acoustic guitar necks for a long time. The idea is to make the neck as rigid as possible so that all the energy from the strings goes into the top of the guitar. When properly built, the carbon fiber rods also eliminate the need for a truss rod. With electric guitars, the concept is the same as far as the neck is concerned. Vigier is the only guitar company I am aware of that builds solid-body electric guitars with carbon fiber rods in the neck and no truss rod. It may sound risky, but it works when done right (which includes a lot of steps and time), it actually solves a problem: the neck doesn't move.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 02:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Given To Fly View Post
Carbon fiber rods have been used in high-end acoustic guitar necks for a long time. The idea is to make the neck as rigid as possible so that all the energy from the strings goes into the top of the guitar. When properly built, the carbon fiber rods also eliminate the need for a truss rod. With electric guitars, the concept is the same as far as the neck is concerned. Vigier is the only guitar company I am aware of that builds solid-body electric guitars with carbon fiber rods in the neck and no truss rod. It may sound risky, but it works when done right (which includes a lot of steps and time), it actually solves a problem: the neck doesn't move.
Thanks that is reassuring info. With limited knowledge I thought the neck should be stable but it also needs to move/vibrate.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 02:26 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies gentlemen, I am not the most adept user of this site to be able to show my appreciation.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Thanks that is reassuring info. With limited knowledge I thought the neck should be stable but it also needs to move/vibrate.
Absolutely not, it must be as rigid as possible so that it doesn't absorb much energy from the strings.

The guitar with the most sustain is the pedal steel because it is completely rigid and the strings vibrate freely with minimal loss of energy.

Playing a guitar is about art and craft, building a guitar is about science and technology.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepulchrave View Post
Absolutely not, it must be as rigid as possible so that it doesn't absorb much energy from the strings.

The guitar with the most sustain is the pedal steel because it is completely rigid and the strings vibrate freely with minimal loss of energy.

Playing a guitar is about art and craft, building a guitar is about science and technology.
Thanks for this input. I don't like the feel of very stiff necks, but good to learn the science of it. what does this say for the tonal contribution of the neck wood?
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Thanks for this input. I don't like the feel of very stiff necks, but good to learn the science of it. what does this say for the tonal contribution of the neck wood?
There is no tonal contribution from the neck other than ease of use and ergonomics for you, the player. The necks purpose is as a structural support for the fretboard and to stay straight under string tension.

Most guitars sound subtly different from each other, not better or worse, just different. It's difficult to find two that sound absolutely identical because the human ear is so sensitive to minute differences in sounds, it's an evolutionary survival mechanism.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 04:42 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sepulchrave View Post
There is no tonal contribution from the neck other than ease of use and ergonomics for you, the player.
For a bolt on thin wizard neck i tend to agree but neck wood does slightly effect tone of a set or neck thru electric and obviously acoustics.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
For a bolt on thin wizard neck i tend to agree but neck wood does slightly effect tone of a set or neck thru electric and obviously acoustics.
Why should it?

Set necks and neck-thru are inferior in my opinion because the truss rod can't operate properly at the body end and you often get a horrible hump in the fretboard there which affects playability and therefore affects tone adversely.

Acoustics are all about the bridge and the soundboard, the neck just anchors the other end of the strings, you don't want to hear anything from that end at all, it would be out of phase.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode