Ibanez RGD series - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Ibanez RGD series

I'm looking in to the RGD series, but can't find any good info other than what is on the official site.

They seem to be absolutely wonderful for ridiculous tunings, so consequently I must have it.

So, what's your take on the RGD? Would love for some first hand experience since none of my local shops have them in store.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 01:57 PM

Re: Ibanez RGD series

Well the RGD2127Z is cool. the sound is hardish, ie. not particularily warm, and itīs bright. But being a seven itīs to be expected. Despite the slightly longer scale Iīm able to play just fine. My medium/small hands have to move a bit more playing the same things compared to normal guitars. Have you seen the videos where like 6 year old chinese girls play effortlessly on adult sized guitars? Kinda same thing. So not too difficult.

Anyway I just bought it for the pickup switch cause itīs so cool.

I hope that helps.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strand-old-man View Post
Well the RGD2127Z is cool. the sound is hardish, ie. not particularily warm, and itīs bright. But being a seven itīs to be expected. Despite the slightly longer scale Iīm able to play just fine. My medium/small hands have to move a bit more playing the same things compared to normal guitars. Have you seen the videos where like 6 year old chinese girls play effortlessly on adult sized guitars? Kinda same thing. So not too difficult.

Anyway I just bought it for the pickup switch cause itīs so cool.

I hope that helps.
I was wondering about that pickup switch! Does it work well?
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 02:03 PM

Itīs not wired the Petrucci way like Iīd want, but as standard switch it operates very well.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Great!

What string gauge do you use, and what tunings do you alternate between?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 02:18 PM

Sorry to say I donīt alternate. Whole step down for this paddle.
Strings are EB 9-52.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 02:49 PM

Reviews: 12

I also have an 2127Z and it's a pretty solid and straight-forward axe. Although it's my first Prestige 7, i find the neck a tad "wider" than the neck on my 1077XL... then again, they're 2 different guitars that's 10 years apart
the EZ is pretty solid, even when tuned to Ab with a 0.66w on top... have to say it's pretty darn close to an Edge's stability and flutter.
The switch is probably the best 3-way switches all around, much more so than a "Gibson 3-way", since they can be re-wired similar to a multi-pole 5-way switch.
When I do find the time, I'll probably install a push-pull pot on it to get some single-coil tones

Reg
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reguv760 View Post
I also have an 2127Z and it's a pretty solid and straight-forward axe. Although it's my first Prestige 7, i find the neck a tad "wider" than the neck on my 1077XL... then again, they're 2 different guitars that's 10 years apart
the EZ is pretty solid, even when tuned to Ab with a 0.66w on top... have to say it's pretty darn close to an Edge's stability and flutter.
The switch is probably the best 3-way switches all around, much more so than a "Gibson 3-way", since they can be re-wired similar to a multi-pole 5-way switch.
When I do find the time, I'll probably install a push-pull pot on it to get some single-coil tones

Reg
If you ever consider selling the 1077, let me know. I have a hankerin' for long scale guitars and its one of the few 27" scales out there that isn't also an 8 string (And I don't really want an 8 string)
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 03:30 PM

Reviews: 11

The RGD2120Z and RGD2127Z are f**king awesome axes!

The lower line RGD's (RGD320, RGD321, RGD420, RGD421, RGD7321, RGD7320 *discontinued*, and RGD7421) are pretty solid as well.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.M.RG7620 View Post
The RGD2120Z and RGD2127Z are f**king awesome axes!

The lower line RGD's (RGD320, RGD321, RGD420, RGD421, RGD7321, RGD7320 *discontinued*, and RGD7421) are pretty solid as well.
I was looking to get a 421, since I really want a hard tail and the longer scale length. I'm a little worried though since the price is really low and that it might affect the quality.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 03:52 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolPatrol View Post
I was looking to get a 421, since I really want a hard tail and the longer scale length. I'm a little worried though since the price is really low and that it might affect the quality.
Lately, the only thing that seems to suffer as far as "quality" on new Ibanez's is the pups/electronics. Price certainly hasn't dictated quality for Ibanez in the last couple years.......The current RG350's come to mind.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
Lately, the only thing that seems to suffer as far as "quality" on new Ibanez's is the pups/electronics. Price certainly hasn't dictated quality for Ibanez in the last couple years.......The current RG350's come to mind.
Well, that's a relief. Here in Sweden these have a retail price at about 500USD, and that's pretty much as cheap as it gets, so that's why I asked, because it's on the (very) cheap side of the scale.

I've thought about the new 350 too, but decided against it since I'm about to embark on a journey to the lowest of low tunings, and generally have a hard time choosing.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 04:41 PM

Get the RGD421

You won't regret it. The one I played was pretty awesome!
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.M.RG7620 View Post
Get the RGD421

You won't regret it. The one I played was pretty awesome!
How was the extended scale length? I'm mainly interested because my fat sausage fingers have a hard time on the higher frets on the standard one
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolPatrol View Post
How was the extended scale length? I'm mainly interested because my fat sausage fingers have a hard time on the higher frets on the standard one
Sounds like it's perfect for you.

It's easy to get around on, has a bit more room, easy to get used to and gives you better tension for lower tunings.

Tags
ibanez , rgd

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode