Ibanez RGR521 with Reaper Inlay or Barbed Wire Inlay - Page 2 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 06:36 AM

Re: Ibanez RGR521 with Reaper Inlay or Barbed Wire Inlay

I was hoping Ibanez wouldnt crap the RG5xx numbers, but it was kinda obvious since they prestiged up all the japs... still sucks tho...

oh and btw, that one looks like cheap crap...

but, i guess when there are korean axes for well over a grand, this shouldnt feel like rape, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 10:33 AM

I can't believe they've tagged that thing with an RG5XX series number. Unbelievable. They should have tagged it an RGR321 because that's really all it is.

People have been asking for Prestige level MIJ hardtail RG's, better colors, and more models with reverse headstocks. So, rather than make something nice, they throw this thing together. It's almost like they're teasing us. Like someone said, "It's not really what they've been asking for, but lets see if they buy it anyway".

If they want to make a new RGR521, here's what it should be; Prestige MIJ, basswood body, flush mount jack, two DIRECT MOUNT humbuckers, 24 fret ORIGINAL WIZARD profile necks with rosewood OR MAPLE fingerboards And, maybe just to be different, offer it with some freakin' color choices. They don't have to be the old neons. Come up with something different. Orange, baby blue, candy apple red. Something to go along with black, BESIDES BLACK! A guitar like that would be worthy of the RG5XX series nameplate.

Come on Ibanez, I DOUBLE DOG DARE YOU to make it. --Jason
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 04:18 PM

Fugly thing

Why those pups? Why that inlay? Why the color?

Is the hardware Gotoh and is it a MIJ?
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 04:21 PM
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkahrs
I can't believe they've tagged that thing with an RG5XX series number. Unbelievable. They should have tagged it an RGR321 because that's really all it is.

People have been asking for Prestige level MIJ hardtail RG's, better colors, and more models with reverse headstocks. So, rather than make something nice, they throw this thing together. It's almost like they're teasing us. Like someone said, "It's not really what they've been asking for, but lets see if they buy it anyway".

If they want to make a new RGR521, here's what it should be; Prestige MIJ, basswood body, flush mount jack, two DIRECT MOUNT humbuckers, 24 fret ORIGINAL WIZARD profile necks with rosewood OR MAPLE fingerboards And, maybe just to be different, offer it with some freakin' color choices. They don't have to be the old neons. Come up with something different. Orange, baby blue, candy apple red. Something to go along with black, BESIDES BLACK! A guitar like that would be worthy of the RG5XX series nameplate.

Come on Ibanez, I DOUBLE DOG DARE YOU to make it. --Jason
Spot on.
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 08:31 PM

Oh, i get it, October - halloween - Grim Reaper. I think it's okay, to me the inlay is impressive for 450, it's almost like an evil twin of the vine inlays. Still though, another black guitar to their list. I really don't hope Ibanez does more of these "evil" themed guitars like BC rich. IMO, skulls and flames look cheap. +1 on the reverse headstock
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 08:45 PM

It has been mentioned, but I am REALLY tired of Ibanez half-assing the stock pickups in their guitars.
post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydefrog
It has been mentioned, but I am REALLY tired of Ibanez half-assing the stock pickups in their guitars.
I like that they are licensing pickup designs from emg, duncan, and dimarzio I dont consider that half assing it. i just want to see them do away with the powersound, quantum, infinity, v series etc.
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperfrommars1
I like that they are licensing pickup designs from emg, duncan, and dimarzio I dont consider that half assing it. i just want to see them do away with the powersound, quantum, infinity, v series etc.
They're crap. The Duncans and EMGs. I own an SZ720 or whatever the highest model is, that comes with Duncan/Ibanez pickups in it. High output, but to the point of constant feedback. Mud mud mud mud mud. No matter what setting. It just has this "mud" element to it that cannot be done away with.

I'll plug in my 7421 with an Evolution 7 in it, or my 565 with real EMGs, and instantly the problem is gone.

They are DEFINATELY half-assing the pickups. They get the brand name (EMG, Duncan), but then have crappy pickups made.

The New 7s on the 762x series were pretty much their only stock pickups that were fantastic (though, I was never happy with the bridge pickup. The neck, however, was a pure delight).
post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 10:40 PM
Dee

I'm kinda glad they don't always stick expensive pickups in them, it helps keep the price down, and most people replace them anyway.
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 10:43 PM

I wish they would put even cheaper pickups in their guitars to bring the price down. I never bother with stock pickups
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-22-2006, 12:30 AM

idk I kinda like it.

The Reaper looks a bit dorky, but I'd like a guitar that's a bit odd

I like the paintjob and reverse headstock, but there's no way I would think about getting it without some kind of floating trem.

It's a shame, least expensive guitar with bad-ass inlay I've ever seen.
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-22-2006, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeswift
I'm kinda glad they don't always stick expensive pickups in them, it helps keep the price down, and most people replace them anyway.
Egg and Chicken man... If the pickups were actually any good, noone would replace them...

Itd feel really nice to actually buy a guitar and just play the hell out of it, instead of sanding the neck, changing the pups and electronics, changing tuners, nuts, file frets and whatever the hell else some people have to do before they actually play...
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-23-2006, 10:27 AM

Guess what? The US is not the primary market for Ibanez. The asians have a huge metal fan base, and like that style guitar. Look through the Japanese ESP catalog sometime - you'll see some REALLY crazy guitars that no one over here would even consider buying these days. I'm just happy that Ibanez is TRYING something different. I'm a little offended by the RG5** designation too, but at least it's a step away from a plain old blue guitar. I like the paint (even if it's black), I like the reverse headstock, and I like the fact that at least they're doing SOMETHING with the inlays. I'm partial to the sharktooth inlays myself, but at least IBZ is outside the box a little this time. For $450, you can't bitch too much. These days, that's pretty reasonable for a new guitar. Personally, I'd spend the money on an old RG7***, but it's not a bad effort.
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-23-2006, 10:49 AM

that's pretty nifty looking!
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-23-2006, 11:07 AM

I think its not too bad, the reaper is a bit much for me, but if the same finish were to be offered on a hardtail JEM, the haters of this model would be clamoring for one.

Tags
barbed wire inlay , basswood body , bridge pickup , candy apple red , fixed bridge , hardtail jem , ibanez pickups , maple fingerboard , maple fingerboards , reverse headstock , reverse headstocks , sharktooth inlay , sharktooth inlays , tremolo system

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode