Ibanez RGT42... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2005, 03:16 AM Thread Starter

Ibanez RGT42...

So in a post I said I was gonna be gettin a RGT42, not anymore though. I was gonna get it from my local guitar center but then when I went, someone bought it. Then I started thinking it over and I was wondering, is the RGT42 any good? I would get a used RGT3120 but its out of range as far as how much I can pay and I want an Ibanez neck-thru. So back to the question, is the RGT42 any good? If I hear good things, I'll probably end up getting one sometime.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2005, 03:29 AM

Re: Ibanez RGT42...

Well if you were going to get one in the first place, you must have thought they were good at some point? Its all down to your opinion though. Go to a store and try one out. Just because someone on here says that they like them, and their one is good - dont mean it will for you. Quality differs from guitar to guitar too, so you may try out a dud, or you may try out a cracking example of one.

As long as you get one brand new with the new trem, you should be fine though. I have heard good things about the new trems. If you are going to get a "used" RGT42 I would stear well clear of the earlier models that came with the Lo-Trs 2 trem.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2005, 04:10 AM Thread Starter

Yea I forgot to mention before that I always thought they were good, but then I wanted to get some other opinions. I tried it once at the store and thought it played well, and when I wanted to go back and get it was gone, it came to my mind just to get some opinions. I've heard good things about the new Edge's also, I wouldnt get a used one with a TRS.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2005, 07:52 AM

I recently was all hot about checking out the RGT42DXFM. I made a post asking for opinions here,
http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35104
and most people said it was a nice axe but the painted neck was dragging it down. I finally made it to guitar center where they had 2 RGT42's. And these guys were absolutely right. I can't deal with that sticky painted neck either. Plus, both of them were set up to be detuned down to D flat. When I tried to get them even close to E, the bridges were doing a nose dive. The wood and pickup combo did have a good warm tone, though.

I'll stick with my cheap but awesome RG320DXQMTR. That little baby kicks the ass of the guitar world.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2005, 12:44 PM

I bought one and sold it off last year, having it for around 2 months.

I feel HAD I stuck with it, changed the pickups and changed the trem unit it may have sounded and played a lot better than it did, that said I considered the personal cost to myself to be too high, and therefore not worth doing.

Going for a high end RGT3XXX is the best way, I feel it's just a financial issue.

Back to the RGT42: Mine was a stock 04' Basswood model.

The neck was somewhat different to the other korean models in that it was black all the way up the neck into the body and felt near laquered, but painted. it looked pretty damn sweet, but didn't play as well.

The Pickups were as most korean models are, utter tat, and the bridge performed as well as the korean models ever do, i.e. good enough. Tremolo? Don't even think about it!! Those tremlo Stick holder thingies are the worst ever.

Sound quality plugged in? 5/10, not plugged in? 6.5/10. Playability? 6.5, looks? 7.0
These are all based on the 550 Pound I spent on it.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2005, 03:00 PM

I've never been a big fan of neck-thru in the first place. Bolt-on necks have always worked fine for me. But after I played the RGT42DX I just knew it wasn't for me. The neck on it doesn't feel the same as a bolt-on Wizard II neck and the finish really slows down my playing. Glad I went with the RG370DX. It was very affordable, plays well, and looks good.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2005, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeSocietySucks
Going for a high end RGT3XXX is the best way
I would love to go for the high end neck-thru's, only if I had the money and could afford it. I have always, always... wanted an RGT3120 in the transparent dark brown, pre '03, the ones with the Lo-Pro Edge's. That would be like heaven for me. As far as the RGT42, when I tried it out, I didn't have a problem with the painted neck. I have a Kramer Baretta that has a painted neck and it plays just fine for me. But I guess it all comes down to the person right? I think I will go for the RGT42, I will probably just change the pickups (either DiMarzio, EMG, or Seymour Duncan), and the tremolo (a Lo-Pro Edge, I can do the router mods if that is what is needed to fit a Lo-Pro Edge). I guess thats settled huh? lol, thanks for the replies, keep em comin if you feel the need
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 11:18 AM

finished necks? well, my rgt42fmr is the only one of 8 guitars with a finished neck, but i don't find it an issue because with it's ultra-flat shape i hardly ever touch the back of it anyway!

it's just about keeping it clean, really.

and because i've been tooling about with photoshop this morning, here's a little pic of mine:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rgt_edit.jpg (46.5 KB, 67 views)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 11:23 AM

I never have a problem with finished necks. I prefer them actually. I like the "glossy" "varnishy" feel to the back of a neck. I much prefer it to a smoother no-finish neck. I have always liked the idea of the RGT42 series, especially the newer models, but I have never got round to trying one.

Tags
ibanez neck , kramer baretta , local guitar center , pickup combo , pro edge , seymour duncan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode