Ibanez RGT42 vs ESP MH-301 vs Jackson SL3/4? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-25-2002, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Ibanez RGT42 vs ESP MH-301 vs Jackson SL3/4?

I'm looking for a decent quality neck-thru superstrat type guitar in the same price range as these three models. I haven't had the chance to play an RGT42 or MH-301 since my local resellers don't have them in stock but I have played a Jackson SL3/4.

In general, I like the Jackson but I'm not too happy with it's low-end trem and would probably end up replacing it with an OFR/OFR II. From what I've heard of the TRS II, I'd probably end up replacing the bridge on the Ibanez as well. I'm not sure whether the trem on the MH-301 is decent but I'd definitely end up replacing the pickups with either real EMGs or duncans/dimarzios. I have no idea how good the stock pickups on the RGT42 are...

So, have have any of you out there played two or more of the above models that could give me your opinions of the pros/cons of each? I'm looking mainly for feedback on neck profile, build quality and general playability. I'd even appreciate feedback if you've only played one of the above models since I can't seem to get my hands on the Ibanez or ESP. For what it's worth, I tried an RG620X while at Guitar Center and thought the build quality was better than the Jackson SL3/4 but I'm really looking for a neck-thru instead of a bolt-on...

Thanks!
Peter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-25-2002, 10:07 PM

All three of the guitars have bad trems. If i was you i would go for the RG620X and replace the pickups, the other guitars have crappy ones anyway, and then you don't have to change the trem. I don't find that big of a difference with bolt on or neck-thrus. Just remember if you break the neck on a neck-thru, the whole guitar is shot.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-25-2002, 10:47 PM

IMO, if you really have to have a neckthrough for cheap, a used Japanese Soloist Pro from Pre-1993, or a Charvel model 5 or 6 from around the same period, would be better than any of these guitars.. Both of these guitars had Schaller floyds back then..

I dislike Jacksons on a whole, but these are great guitars, for dirt cheap now-a-days, much better than their current import line..

All three guitars you have listed use the same overall bridge.. There's little to no difference between a JT580LP and a Lo-TRS II.. The LTD will have a similar bridge as well..

I guess I'd take the cheapest one, and that way have more money for new hardware..
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-25-2002, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

I was afraid that would be the case but I appreciate the confirmation. Thanks!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-06-2002, 04:01 AM

i changed out the LoTRS II(puke) for a ibanez edge trem and switched the pickups for duncan JB in neck and TB4 in bridge, and i'm very happy with the RGT42 now... and today i switched out the tuners for the gotoh tuners in my broke 1990 RG570FM... but yeah i'm incredibly happy with it... i dunno if i had a choice right now of a neck thru to buy, i'd have to get a Jackson RR1 tho... i have an RR5, its great, but no tremelo.... RR1 would be PERFECT
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 11:00 AM

Rgt 42 pickups are good thru a cranked amp. Definately go for second hand jackson/charvel of a few years back. They knew how 2 superstrat in the 80s! Hair metal will never die (am i kidding myself? hmm...!)

Tags
charvel model , edge trem , gotoh tuners , ibanez edge trem , neck thru

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode