Ibanez Roadstar II series question - Page 2 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-09-2004, 04:57 PM

...You would think, but I have a 3-page catalog that just lists specs and such. There's no long descriptions or anything. And the header says "Roadstar Deluxe". Underneath that it has the first RG550's (no pickup logos, matching headstocks) and the RG440, 430, 420(no pickguard) and 410 (also no guard) They all have Edges. Then on the next page under the header "Roadstar Standard" it has the RG250 & 240 (no guards) and 140, 135, & 120 (all with guards) They all have powerocker trems.

I'm not saying it makes me right, but it seems that they denote the Deluxe's as having the "good trems" and it doesn't conflict with the info in those other catalog pages. But not all the deluxes had binding or burst finishes. The 525 has rounded edges and I have one pearl white like the catalog, and one "purple haze" from the year before with the Pro Rocker trem. And technically the first 550's were all part of the Roadstar Deluxe line. Its just that later the dropped the nomenclature and went with just "RG". The 3 pager I have also shows all the RG's with uncovered pickups, so it's clearly after the 1986 catalog. But it seems '87 was just a bunch of inserts and sheets because I can't find an '87 full line catalog anwhere. I'd love to see one if it exists. But this can't be '88 because it conflicts with everything in the '88 full line catalog. Now with a name like "IbanezroadstarII" I'd be a fool not to defer to you in this case, but maybe you can shed some light?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-09-2004, 05:12 PM

I think the confusion stems from the fact that in 1985, the RS440 was in the "RS Deluxe Series" but the following year, the RG440, pretty much the same guitar with an Edge was in the "RG DX Series".

The RG series as we know it today didn't start up until 1987/88, just after the JEM was launched, even though the "RG" designation started with Roadstar II line in 1986. According to the catalogs, the modern RGs still fell under the "Roadstar" moniker, as did the Power, Saber and Radius series, which all had "Roadstar Pro" on their headstocks for the first year.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-09-2004, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

God now I'm just confused. Trust Ibanez to make classifing a guitar series from one year to the next complicated.

No wonder problems like the 7420/7620 conficts occur in the second hand market nowerdays...

Sometime's I think they should just write the guitars damn name and designation on the back of the headstock!
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-10-2004, 12:59 AM

you could definitley be right.... I was thinking more about early to mid eightys Roastars... but the Deluxes and regulars still have some major differences.... such as no pickgaurd.... which was what i was trying to say
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-10-2004, 03:03 PM

This flyer I have has to be from '87 since it has the 550's and the hardware on the RG440 (as well as all the other "deluxe" models) is black. Its safe to say that Ibanez just tossed around names and designations from year to year. Even in the '86 catalog there are "DX's" that have no guard. I know they're totally different guitars than the Deluxes from the previous page, but its still not just about the guards, either. It's not even about the arched tops, because there're Deluxes with body binding and flat tops. I mean the good news for Spike is that his guitar is the EXACT one in the '86 catalog photo. It's probably not from '87 because of the chrome hardware. I've had some that don't appear anywhere in print!

One thing I'd really like to know is what this color I have is called. Its the black that bursts to the burgundy edges, and all I can find is that its "DW" but I want to know what the color name is.
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-10-2004, 03:36 PM

'87 is one of the few full catalogs Rich doesn't have on his site... all he's got is the JEM promo.
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-10-2004, 03:44 PM

That's what I'm saying. I think there wasn't one. I think it was just a bunch of individual handouts. Like the one for the Jem. I have a 1987 540 Pro handout that introduces the Saber, Radius, and Power. Then there's this 3-pager I have, and I also have a 2 pager for the Maxxas, although that could be from anywhere between '87 and '89. I vaguely remember hearing if from either Jim Donahue, or maybe Rich or someone that they didn't put out an '87 full line cat. If anyone knows of one lets have it!
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-10-2004, 10:46 PM

Guys, kinda related, do you know what a 83/84 (from Rich's catalogs) RS205 in "Brown Sunburst" could go for?
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 02:16 PM

Reviews: 7
Roadstar II Series

I bought my Roadstar II RG525 (midnight blue) in 1984-85 - H-H setup. It has to be my most reliable guitar. Replaced the Pups with EMGs - amazing guitar. I don't have any of the info that it came with -

Not sure if this helped......
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 06:24 PM

Re: Ibanez Roadstar II series question

Hi there guy's,

I'm a newbie to the site but I love it. I was wondering if anyone could give me a bit of help. I bought an 1986 RG 525 off of **** and I'm really pleased with it, it's hard a bit of a hard life but a wonder to play.

I was wondering if someone could clarify what the control pots do exactly, I under stand that there are two volume pots (push to coil tap) and one tone but when both pickups are selected the two volume controls seem to both act as a master volume, turn one down it cuts out the output from both pickups. Is this correct or has some dodgey rewiring gone on hear.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was the later as the seller described it as an RS instead of RG and said that these two volumes were bass and trebble boost pots. I think they were confused with the 85 model but I could be wrong.

I'd be gratefull for any info.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 09:58 PM

Re: Ibanez Roadstar II series question

I have an RG525, original owner, unaltered. The behaviour of the knobs is as described by Metal_Man: the tone knob affects both pickups, and each pickup has its own volume knob, but in center (both) pickup position, it's the minimum of the volumes that is used (so if one volume is off, center position is also off).
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 01:46 PM

Hey monster players! I was wondering what the difference with it the pole pickups vs the metal strip across the pickup you see on roadstars? My guitar player had a 440 back in the 80’s with stock pickups and that back humbucker got a monster lead and crunch tone.

Tags
chrome hardware , coil tap , edge trem , edge trems , flame maple , jim donahue , killer guitar , maple neck , neck angle , neck joint , neck joints , paf pro , recessed trem , roadstar series , volume pots

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in