Ibanez Rocket Roll II w/Bolton neck? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Ibanez Rocket Roll II w/Bolton neck?

HI all,

I was wondering if anyone can tell me is the '82 Rocket Roll II with the bolt on neck
considered less desirable than the neck through version?

I have the opportunity to buy a red one like this one;

http://www.ibanezregister.com/images...r50fr-1982.jpg

I really wanted the flame top one with the white binding like PG/Bucketheads but alas I cannot find one. So if you can tell me anything about this red version it is much appreciated :O)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 05:41 PM

Reviews: 59
Re: Ibanez Rocket Roll II w/Bolton neck?

That's a really nice looking guitar!
I found a website that writes the following;
Finding a Destroyer or Destroyer II these days is not as hard as finding an Iceman model, but finding a Rocket Roll or Rocket Roll II is a bit more difficult. Pawn shops and music stores are, of course, the most likely spots to check - along with online auction sites like ****.com and yahoo.com. Used Destroyers and Rocket Rolls are selling anywhere from $500 to $1000, and the Rocket Roll II and Destroyer II models about $250 to $600. These are the prices I've seen them sell for at the online auction sites. In the various guitar stores they are usually priced higher as the store has much more overhead than any individual seller does.

http://vintageibanez.tripod.com/destroyer.html

This one is nice as well, especially considering it's previous owner;
http://www.theguitarcolumn.com/2010/...rly-owned.html
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hp29 View Post
That's a really nice looking guitar!
I found a website that writes the following;
Finding a Destroyer or Destroyer II these days is not as hard as finding an Iceman model, but finding a Rocket Roll or Rocket Roll II is a bit more difficult. Pawn shops and music stores are, of course, the most likely spots to check - along with online auction sites like ****.com and yahoo.com. Used Destroyers and Rocket Rolls are selling anywhere from $500 to $1000, and the Rocket Roll II and Destroyer II models about $250 to $600. These are the prices I've seen them sell for at the online auction sites. In the various guitar stores they are usually priced higher as the store has much more overhead than any individual seller does.

http://vintageibanez.tripod.com/destroyer.html

This one is nice as well, especially considering it's previous owner;
http://www.theguitarcolumn.com/2010/...rly-owned.html
Thankyou for your reply. Ive just done some reading at it turns out the Red one with the bolt on neck is an entry level mode, as opposed to the RR440 which Paul uses and is a premium model.

The guy wants £500+ for it and I think thats a bit steap for a bolt on entry level model perhaps?
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 07:47 PM

I had the Destroyer II in that colour with a bolt-on neck many years back and it was a superb guitar but the other guitarist in the band i was in at the time had that exact model Rocket Roll II and for some reason it just didn't play as well as my Destroyer.
The model with the set-neck and the flame maple top is in a different league all together. They're beautiful guitars, as are the set-neck flame-top Destroyer II's.

I think i saw the one you're looking at buying and while it was in nice condition i just don't think i'd want to pay £500+ for it.

I remember watching the auction for that Satriani owned Rocket Roll and it went for a pretty reasonable price.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 05:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTM45 View Post
I had the Destroyer II in that colour with a bolt-on neck many years back and it was a superb guitar but the other guitarist in the band i was in at the time had that exact model Rocket Roll II and for some reason it just didn't play as well as my Destroyer.
The model with the set-neck and the flame maple top is in a different league all together. They're beautiful guitars, as are the set-neck flame-top Destroyer II's.

I think i saw the one you're looking at buying and while it was in nice condition i just don't think i'd want to pay £500+ for it.

I remember watching the auction for that Satriani owned Rocket Roll and it went for a pretty reasonable price.

Agreed, I dont think its worth what hes asking - I thnk he thinks its the same model as Paul Gilberts one.

I think im going to wait for the right one, hopefully one will come up before im too old to play it :O)
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 11:34 AM

Reviews: 34

In my opinion not worth £500

Maybe £250-£350 depending on condition.

I have a DT 350 (think charvel star) and they are great, but not worth £500 probably.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcoumbe View Post
In my opinion not worth £500

Maybe £250-£350 depending on condition.

I have a DT 350 (think charvel star) and they are great, but not worth £500 probably.
Thankyou for confirming my suspicions :O)
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 05:36 PM

Here's a pic of my Rocket Roll II. I picked it up here in Australia around 1992ish for about $395, the guy had $495 on it but couldn't move it so I talked him down.

£500 sounds pretty steep to me...would 20 more years vintage increase the price that much ?

I also have a Destroyer II as well. Decent Destroyers are harder to find here than the Rocket Rolls.

It took me ages to find this one and from memory I picked it up around 1994 for around $600.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
Here's a pic of my Rocket Roll II. I picked it up here in Australia around 1992ish for about $395, the guy had $495 on it but couldn't move it so I talked him down.

£500 sounds pretty steep to me...would 20 more years vintage increase the price that much ?

I also have a Destroyer II as well. Decent Destroyers are harder to find here than the Rocket Rolls.

It took me ages to find this one and from memory I picked it up around 1994 for around $600.
Thanks for sharing, im just trying to work out how much that is in british pounds :O)
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 05:49 PM

The British pound today is currently worth $1.62 Aussie.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
The British pound today is currently worth $1.62 Aussie.
XE says $395 is roughly £300, I think id pay that for it cause its in good nick :O) It will keep me going untill the premium model pops up on **** one day!!
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 09:37 AM

Reviews: 1

i own a rocket roll II white ghost, these gutiars are so freaking awesome, only mine is a bit more expensive i think because its paul gilberts old guitar and its modded with seymour customs :P

but the normal price is about 350 euro so
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 05:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezRick View Post
i own a rocket roll II white ghost, these gutiars are so freaking awesome, only mine is a bit more expensive i think because its paul gilberts old guitar and its modded with seymour customs :P

but the normal price is about 350 euro so
Interesting, I never saw paul playing a ghost white one, only the RR400 :O)

Does yours have a bolt on neck?
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 07:35 AM

Reviews: 1

yep bold on neck, and your right about not seeing paul playing on it.
i had an meet and greet ticket for paul gilbert last year i had 3 hours of lesson, photo's etc and i had that guitar with me, and he said: no man that can't be what i think it is, and then he said thats the one guitar i learned playing guitar on.
he played on it for a while and said i never must sell it because he said it was one of the most awesome guitars ever:P he was really happy to see that guitar it was kinda awesome

but yeah the guitar is great
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezRick View Post
yep bold on neck, and your right about not seeing paul playing on it.
i had an meet and greet ticket for paul gilbert last year i had 3 hours of lesson, photo's etc and i had that guitar with me, and he said: no man that can't be what i think it is, and then he said thats the one guitar i learned playing guitar on.
he played on it for a while and said i never must sell it because he said it was one of the most awesome guitars ever:P he was really happy to see that guitar it was kinda awesome

but yeah the guitar is great
That is a pretty cool story :OD nice one. Stay tuned for some pics midweek :O)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode