Ibanez RS440 upgrades and thoughts - Page 2 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 08:38 PM

Reviews: 3
Re: Ibanez RS440 upgrades and thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibateur View Post
My first "real" guitar was also an Ibanez Roadstar II. I thought it was an RS440 as well, but that's not what you have.
It is an RS440. I have the exact same model and color.

It's cool to see someone else has a purple one out there.

And let me know if you find a cool "modern" pick guard. I'd like to see how it looks.

Nice I make you out to be the guinea pig huh? Ha ha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by finstah View Post

And let me know if you find a cool "modern" pick guard. I'd like to see how it looks.

I don't mind being the guinea pig. I was wondering if anyone else out there had seen one just like it before. I know in the end I could have bought a brand new guitar for what I will spend in pickups and re-wiring but it has some sentimental value to me as it was my first electric. It also has value to the person I bought it from. He has always said he would buy it back from me anytime.

You guys have me torn now on the humbucker. I think I am solid on the Area 67 in the mid and front. I just need to figure out which humbucker will be a good balance for those and make the guitar versatile style-wise. I want to play some of those Hendrix riffs but also want to hamme down and crank on some heavier stuff if the mood arises. I still keep going back to the Fred in listening.

Anyone know other sites other than Dimarzio where you can hear samples of pickups?

I think you all have convinced me not to paint the body and just leave it as-is even though it has a few bumps and bruises here and there. I have always loved the color and I am not sure I could match it. I'm not sure I am up for a bridge replacement, the guy at the shop I am taking her to said he can adjust this bridge back up properly where it should be, he seemed to have plenty of experience with them and all of the wiring.

Speaking of wiring, someone mentioned 250 versus 500. I'm a novice at the electronics behind this so can someone explain to me why I would want it wired at 500 versus 250? Do I need it that way for certain pickus?
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruinah View Post

Speaking of wiring, someone mentioned 250 versus 500. I'm a novice at the electronics behind this so can someone explain to me why I would want it wired at 500 versus 250? Do I need it that way for certain pickus?

theres no rules really but most common is
humbucker= 500K pot
single coil= 250K pot.
either will work.
normally people dont use 500k pot for single coils becuase it gives them to much trebble and washes their sound out.
but it is fine to use 250k pots with humckers. It will tame some treble if the pickup has any and will sound fine with a HSS setup.
but whatever value pots work well for you is your choice.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

I'm dropping it off at the shop today, I still think I am doing the Dimarzio Fred and then the Area 67's up front. Luckily the guy at the shop said Dimarzio is good and if I don't like one of them I can call them and switch it out with something else.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 09:04 AM

Reviews: 4

Don't refinish the body. It looks really good!

I have done some neck refinishing before. It's quite simple.
I opted to sand away all the clearcoat (80grt first, than 150, than 240) and seal off the wood. Just that, plain and simple.

As with the pickups, try Fred and Fast Track 1!
The Fast Track 1 has one of the best vintage tones I have ever heard!!!
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 09:56 AM

Reviews: 18

What I had in my head with regard to the EP would be for it to just sit flat on the body like a Wolfgang. I though it would look cool and different. I definitely can't wait to hear what a fred sounds like on the neck position on that guitar.

Jimmy
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4674 View Post
What I had in my head with regard to the EP would be for it to just sit flat on the body like a Wolfgang. I though it would look cool and different. I definitely can't wait to hear what a fred sounds like on the neck position on that guitar.

Jimmy
i think that he's gonna end up with the fred in the bridge with the area 67's in the neck and middle.

rich
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finstah View Post

Sorry, wrong word progression used on my post. I meant that mine (I thought) was not the same as his (and yours - cool that).

Mine it turns out was an RG440 Roadstar, a bit later model. Same style of headstock.
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 02:07 PM

Reviews: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibateur View Post
Sorry, wrong word progression used on my post. I meant that mine (I thought) was not the same as his (and yours - cool that).

Mine it turns out was an RG440 Roadstar, a bit later model. Same style of headstock.
no worries
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

finally somewhat of an update on this. I dropped the Roadstar off to the music shop near my house for work on Friday. I am doing a Dimarzio Fred humbucker in the bridge, and then Dimarzio Area 67's in the mid and neck. They said it would be between a week and two weeks and he would have it ready. They are pretty backed up in the shop so I can live with that. It took them a long time to get the pickups in though. He is going to adjust the tremolo and really give it a good workover. I can't wait.
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-30-2019, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruinah View Post
finally somewhat of an update on this. I dropped the Roadstar off to the music shop near my house for work on Friday. I am doing a Dimarzio Fred humbucker in the bridge, and then Dimarzio Area 67's in the mid and neck. They said it would be between a week and two weeks and he would have it ready. They are pretty backed up in the shop so I can live with that. It took them a long time to get the pickups in though. He is going to adjust the tremolo and really give it a good workover. I can't wait.

What happened??

Tags
air norton , clean tone , edge pro trem , frank falbo , ibanez roadstar , locking nut , neck pickup , neck pickups , neck position , paf pro , pickup ring , recessed trem , strat tone , tung oil

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in